Raising a sub off the floor

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
True. But I think the point was
co-location more than raising one off the floor.
I think I saw this as part of the Boss o Bass strategy with their stacked dealios... put a column in each corner... excite everything!

Including the nearest fault line! o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I saw this as part of the Boss o Bass strategy with their stacked dealios... put a column in each corner... excite everything!

Including the nearest fault line! o_O
Yeah baby, I'm thinking stacks of three in four positions in a typical room....should cover it :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess the better question would be...what is the vertical dispersion pattern coming from a sub. If we understood that, it would answer my question. Right now, Im see snarky but funny remarks :) because we don't really know the answer.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Please don't shoot the messenger of this post, me!!! I've just read in another forum that raising the sub 25% of ceiling height improves bass SQ to reduce reflections off the ceilings. Is there any truth to this?
what exactly do you mean by this? elevating the sub or putting it on a platform?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Room modes occur in all three dimensions. The reason why you don't see people lifting their subs in the air is that it's impractical. And it's just not needed to get a smooth response.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I guess the better question would be...what is the vertical dispersion pattern coming from a sub. If we understood that, it would answer my question. Right now, Im see snarky but funny remarks :) because we don't really know the answer.
Acousticfields promotes this heavily. I went through a number of their videos, in the end it's not about a sure improvement, but contextual; you might need it and benefit from it and you may not. You may even need the floor reflection.

Thing is acousticfields doesn't like REW and tries to do everything needed with acoustic treatement and placement avoiding EQ.

In the end it's just moving it on the third dimension. It may help and "help".

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Isn’t bass non directional? Why would you need to build a massive riser to put it up higher ???
I can understand a small riser for shock absorbing
I got no clue were this idea came from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Isn’t bass non directional? Why would you need to build a massive riser to put it up higher ???
I can understand a small riser for shock absorbing
I got no clue were this idea came from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not because of directivity, but reflections. It would still be nondirectional minus whatever floor reinforces.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis