MrRobotics

MrRobotics

Enthusiast
I have an old Sharp, about 15 years old, with the heavy X-bass selection etc and has the dual boom box speakers on the left and right of the central system. Maybe a dumb question but if I'm content with what I have for local radio, is there really any need for something else, maybe more up to date? I can do internet streaming, but I'm old school LOL.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Until you've spent a few hours playing with a good app and streaming service, you may not fully appreciate just how good it can be. The pay services mean no commercials, for about the cost of a single CD or LP per month.

You don't mention sound quality. When, if ever, have you sat between a good pair of speakers (say $300 a pair or more) and listened to good source material (CD'S or high def streaming) for an extended period?

I think good rendition of the recorded material deserves better than FM radio. I'm hitting 60 this year, and the only 'old school' stuff I deal with is spinning vinyl.

MrRobotics

MrRobotics

Enthusiast
I get what your saying, but I'm talking about radio and talk shows, sports, and the occasional music station but at best it's a mix of them all. I hate to sound old and stubborn, but I ask in terms of the ease to switch from station to station with as little hassle as possible. Maybe the online technology already does that??? I'll have to try.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You probably wouldn't be interested, but I'll share this with you just in case you wanted to try something completely new.

I use Bluesound equipment because the graphical user interface (GUI) of the BluOS apps affords me listening to almost every radio station there is. worldwide. It can also play any of the 500 or so CD's that I have ripped and stored. And so much more. Yes, I can listen to the local radio stations, including most of the news-oriented ones on AM. If they stream their broadcast out to the internet, I can find it.

For radio listening, I select "TuneIn" and type in the radio stations' call number and it's playing. I can save the favorites for one-click listening. All you need is the internet and to run the BluOS app on a phone, tablet, PC, or Mac. Here's the complete system of two good powered speakers, a "woofer" (doesn't hit subsonic), and the streaming device.

https://www.bluesound.com/products/powernode-duo-2-1-system/

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'll second Ken's "TuneIn" recommendation. I've got quite a collection of radio stations from all over the country.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis