Racially Motivated Attack? Is the media biased?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
The funny thing about numbers like you posted is they are wrong,they are organized to reflect less than truthfull percentages,most Black on White crimes are not considered Hate Crimes.

For a real look at what really goes down these numbers are far more accurate.

http://www.racismeantiblanc.bizland.com/005/06-02.htm
Ummmmmm..."wrong"? Your numbers and my number come from THE SAME SOURCE. They're all U.S. Dept of Justice statistics! All of 'em.

So if you think my numbers are wrong, so are yours!

Indeed, my links would get you to some of the very same numbers pretty quickly (my links are to more recent years).

I was talking about "racially motivated" crimes, which I thought was most relevant to the theme of the opening post, and that's what I gave. I don't think the page you gave is very helpful - how is one to interpret this information? For example, considering that there are more whites than blacks in the country, if crime was completely color blind, you would expect by chance alone for whites to be victims more often than blacks.

The pie charts on your link are strange - pie charts usually indicate that 100% of something are accounted for. Those charts leave out the vast majority of crimes, however - intra-racial crimes.

Remarkably, when the numbers are broken down to include some information on intra-racial crimes, ALL white-on-white crimes are omitted entirely, even though Black-on-black crimes are listed.

I have no idea why they would do that.

Last edited:
highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Zimbo,when any group or race has numbers showing that their crimes against others are higher with other race's than their own its a clear indicator that there is motivation & intent.

If a person has motivation & intent to attack another race it meets all critera used to describe a hate crime,when a person seeks out another race to victimize its a hate crime,the total crime figures show that there is clear cut intent to seek out other races to victimize,these crimes are not as random as the public is led to believe.

The numbers you show are from the same source but they are not truthfull to the topic at hand,they are based on what is "proven" to be a hate crime,i can be called "white boy" while im being beat down & it will not be considered racially motivated because the term is thought to be part of the urban every day language, AKA ebonics.

That rational is not accepted if the roles are reversed.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
How many brutal crimes occur every week, only a few a year ever get national attention.

Trying to find patterns or reasons for the coverage is probably futile, certainly looking at individual cases is pointless. There's not enough rhyme or reason to it.

Remember the "Year of the Shark" a few years ago? Turns out there were FEWER than average shark attacks that summer. Why did the attacks get so much coverage that year? Who knows. Probably some network exec's daughter knew someone whose cousin's babysitter's sister was attacked.

What are the actual numbers of racially motivated crimes? The latest FBI statistics available are below. This seems like a difficult thing to get accurate numbers on, but I'll trust the FBI to be in the ballpark:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/victims.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/offenders.htm
Racial Bias

Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2005, there were 4,895 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

* 67.9 percent were victims of an anti-black bias.
* 19.9 percent were victims of an anti-white bias.
* 5.3 percent were victims of a bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).
* 4.9 percent were victims of an anti-Asian/Pacific Islander bias.
* 2.0 percent were victims of an anti-American Indian/Alaskan Native bias.
(Based on Table 1.)

An analysis of available race data for the 6,804 known hate crime offenders revealed that:

* 60.5 percent were white.
* 19.9 percent were black.
* 12.3 percent were unknown.
* 5.2 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races (multiple races, group).
* 1.1 percent of known offenders were American Indian/Alaskan Native.
* 0.9 percent were Asian/Pacific Islander.
(Based on Table 9.)

Funny how the breakdown of "hate" crimes mirrors the general population percentages. Does that tell you anything?!

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Zimbo,when any group or race has numbers showing that their crimes against others are higher with other race's than their own its a clear indicator that there is motivation & intent.
That's not true at all! I gave you the perfect example, and I'll do it again.

Let's say crime is 100% race-blind. Suppose no one EVER chooses a victim on the basis of race. Let's say you pick your victim completely RANDOMLY.

If you do that, the Blacks are going to have predomininately White victims, and so are whites.

Yet you just said such a pattern would be a "clear indicator" of intent, while this is actually what one would expect due to chance alone.

This is one reason why I find it highly suspicious that your website omits the numbers for White-on-white crime. This is in fact absolutely necessary to properly understand the remaining numbers.

The numbers you show are from the same source but they are not truthfull to the topic at hand,they are based on what is "proven" to be a hate crime
I don't doubt this is hard to define, but on what basis do you say it isn't correct other than...you don't think it's correct?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Funny how the breakdown of "hate" crimes mirrors the general population percentages. Does that tell you anything?!
That White-on-black hate crimes are considerably more common, therefore one would expect news reports of such crimes to be considerably more common assuming no bias on the part of the media. That was my intended point, no more, no less.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
That White-on-black hate crimes are considerably more common, therefore one would expect news reports of such crimes to be considerably more common assuming no bias on the part of the media. That was my intended point, no more, no less.
I get your point. But the highlighted part above is a glowing, blinking, attention grabbing issue that is central to this discussion, and one that many here are protesting. Name a few of the statistical 20% black-on-white hate crimes that should have (assuming no media bias) absorbed the country's national print and video news media in the last 5 years.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I get your point. But the highlighted part above is a glowing, blinking, attention grabbing issue that is central to this discussion, and one that many here are protesting. Name a few of the statistical 20% black-on-white hate crimes that should have (assuming no media bias) absorbed the country's national print and video news media in the last 5 years.
In the last 5 years? Well, name a few white-on-black hate crimes from 2002 or later. I couldn't come up with any, and I asked my wife and she came up with nothing more recent than 1998.

If there were four or five white-on-black examples from the last 5 years, then we should expect about 1 black-on-white story, going by the statistics.

If we're talking just more generally of black-on-white crimes -well, those are on the news all the time.

I'm all for criticizing the news media. I don't really think they're biased - I just think they're lazy. If the story doesn't "write itself" or fit a ready-made script, they are less likely to cover it. That MAY lead to some of the biases people in this thread are claiming exist, but you can't just point to one single incident and make a case for a trend.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
In the last 5 years? Well, name a few white-on-black hate crimes from 2002 or later. I couldn't come up with any, and I asked my wife and she came up with nothing more recent than 1998.

If there were four or five white-on-black examples from the last 5 years, then we should expect about 1 black-on-white story, going by the statistics.

If we're talking just more generally of black-on-white crimes -well, those are on the news all the time.

I'm all for criticizing the news media. I don't really think they're biased - I just think they're lazy. If the story doesn't "write itself" or fit a ready-made script, they are less likely to cover it. That MAY lead to some of the biases people in this thread are claiming exist, but you can't just point to one single incident and make a case for a trend.
One single case? You just quoted statistics that showed ~one thousand hate crimes committed against whites in the year 2005, alone. Think what you like about the media but a little critical analysis would indicate you're, as you say, wrong. :rolleyes:

It's that "ready made script" you're talking about that includes the bias, by the way.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
A classic example of racism.

Zhimbo,ive got an example of a hate crime that went uncovered by the media & it is a recent & true story,it is a classic example of race motivated neglect that gets swept under the rug.

A middle aged black man goes to the emergency room of a hospitial that serves mostly white people with insurance with a severe injury,he can barely walk but the white security gaurds just stand & watch as the black man falls down several times trying to enter the hospital,not once trying to help the black man.

The black man then enters the hospitial & signs in at the desk,his wife proceeds to tell the nurse about the extreme pain her husband is in & that the mans doctor told him that he may need emergency surgery,while the mans wife is trying to get medical attention for her husband he collapses on the floor in agony,all the while the other people in the emergency room who happen to be "ALL WHITE" point & laugh at the black man lying on the floor in pain,the black man laid on the floor for about 10 minutes with no help,all the while hospital staff walks around the man as well as other emergency room personal.

After the mans wife started screaming for help a lone white woman started screaming for somebody to help the man lying on the floor,at the insistince of the white woman somebody finally comes to help,not a doctor or a nurse but 3 white security guards who proceed to DEMAND the black man get off the floor,they proceed to tell him & his wife that he must wait his turn & get off the floor,a doctor finally comes out & asks whats going on,the black mans wife explains her husbands injuries & trys to show him her husbnds x rays & MRI report & also paperwork from his doctor stating that emergency surgery may be needed if certian symptoms develop,the symptoms are being exibited by her husband lying on the floor wincing in agony & throwing up,the doctor then says the black man must wait his turn & leaves never even looking at the black man to make sure he was ok.

Keep in mind the white people ahead of the black man in emergency are white children with the sniffels & a drunk who was in a fight.

Now the 3 white security guards are just about to drag the black man off the floor & put him in a chair when a white off duty police man comes by a gets involved,the off duty cop proceeds to tell the security guards that this man obviously needs imediate medical treatment & if somebody dont do something about it right now he would put the man in his car & take him through emergency his own self & demand medical treatment as a police officer.

Still nothing happens,the black man's wife decides to take him out of the mostly white hospital & take him to another hospital,the policeman carries the black man to the car his wife has waiting & helps him inside,after going to another hospital & signing in the man is given a stretcher to lay on & within minutes is admitted,a few minutes later the black man is seen by a doctor who gladly reads all the x rays & mri reports that the mans wife brought with them & orders an imediate injection of morphine to stop the mans pain & another injection to stop the mans vomiting,then the doc orders a barrage of tests to determine the black mans condition.

All this is a 100% true story that just took place in my home town,it also has went unreported & un noticed by any of the local newspapers.

Now that your heart strings have been pulled for the victim here is the real story.

The black man in the story was not black,he was white, the,man needing emergency medical treatment was ME, security guards were not white they were black,the people in the emergency room waiting to be seen were not white they were black,the off duty policeman was not white he was a black man & a close personal friend of my family & the godfather to my children.

If you think black on white racism is not out there in force think again,maybe the city you live in is not taken over by it but Detroit Michigan is over run with black on white racism.

N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
Well considering 90% of statistics are 100% BS and considering that it's impossible to accurately indicate which crimes are so-called 'hate-crimes' and which aren't I don't see why you guys even mention them. It's so easy to play with numbers and use them to convince people of anything you wish and that should be obvious to us A/V guys.

The reason's the above story isn't getting the amount of media coverage some of you guys apparently wish for has been mentioned already, but why anybody would even want to see a stories like these all over the news with a headline containing 'hate-crime' is beyond me. Just reading about the murder in that little opinionated article is enough for me and I don't see what would be gained by hyping it up and making a big story about it. Like many of you have said, it's messed up that the media chooses stories that 'appeal' to the masses to gain publicity with a goal of making a large profit, but what is even more messed up is that so many people form their opinion of the world's problem's based on what they watch on television, talk-shows and the news and don't question whether what they are watching is complete nonsense or not. I'm not saying that anybody here falls into that category, but to me it seems arguing for more media coverage of anything like that is a step backwards in attempting to minimize the amount of ignorance caused by mass media that I'll assume we all observe just about everywhere we go.

The above crime was extremely cruel and disgusting to say the least and the criminal's were charged with severe offenses. Whether it was racially motivated should be the least of anyone's concern if you ask me. What would be gained by adding it to the statistic of black-white hate crime and making a big deal about it being racially motivated? To make black people look more like murderer's and criminals than white people or anybody else?

I'll be the first to say that putting them in prison will not bring justice to what they have done, but what will? The answer certainly isn't making a big story about it how it was a racially motivated attack upon white victims by a group of black assailants. Yes, you hit the nail on the head when you say the media is biased and that is exactly why people shouldn't form an opinion or try to get an accurate portrayal of much of anything by using the media as a primary resource for information. It's a horrible resource for educating people about anything and in my opinion too many people watch too much television.

BTW, sorry for the length of this post but that is just my $.02 on an issue like this.

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The national news outlets are not going to cover a murder whose sole distinguishing factor was how brutal it was.

They need more than that, end of story.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Let the punishment fit the crime, LEX TALIONIS. Murder, Rape and you forfeit your life. Our system of retribution doesn't work, backroom deals, wimpy DAs, anti-incarceration judges and so on, where's the incentive not to commit crimes? Anyone for public hangings?;)

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Highfi, I know what it's like to a "minority" in certain places. You have to get ready to be ridiculed and assaulted. While I have tried to be as fair as possible and not sound racist at all, somehow i feel safer NOT in an all black neighborhood in this chocolate city where i work. Try going/driving in such neighborhood with feeling anxiety, it is hard. I wouldn't roll down my car window as i would when i drive in predominantly whites area. Not that crimes/carjacking never happen there, but the overall feeling and mood is pretty much discouraging.

Am I now being biased or racial prejudice towards the african-american because of the media? No. I don't trust the media that easily. Am i a lowly-educated person with limited access and understanding of an information? No. I consider myself fair enough and educated enough to sieve through information.

I have been a minority my whole life. I have been assaulted and robbed and mugged by the majority in my home country. Do i hold any grudge against the majority? No. At least I try not to. I even lived amongst the same race of people who did all that to me (no choice?!?). Well, the same race saved me (esp.) and my family from the brutal nation-wide riot and looting and killings in 1998. Mostly because i know the people around. But my tears and prayers go for those not as lucky as me.

As a minority sometimes you are helpless. We can't be like the lucky african-american here who have enjoyed their freedom and who can sue anybody by crying discrimination. That word has been overrated and used and ABUSED.

Here, i am again a minority. I have no grudge against anybody. I just don't want to take my chances. My gut feelings tell me I have much safer chances in an all white places. I am sorry for anybody who might feel offended by my post but this is what i feel. Please don't call me racist because of this cause I can turn that word around and say the same to you.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Here, i am again a minority. I have no grudge against anybody. I just don't want to take my chances. My gut feelings tell me I have much safer chances in an all white places. I am sorry for anybody who might feel offended by my post but this is what i feel. Please don't call me racist because of this cause I can turn that word around and say the same to you.
Hey masak,i dont think your a racist nor do i think anybody who is not blinded by personal beliefs would label you as a racist either,i prefer the term"realist".

I personally feel the same as you do but i have been accused & judged many times of being a racist,just to look at me a person would think im a Nazi or a Skinhead,i have a bald head,very long mustache & my back is covered with tattoos as well as my arms being "sleeved out" with tattoos from the shoulders to the wrists.

The way i look is the reason i was denied medical treatment in the ER on Friday evening,all ER personel were black as well as all Security guards being black,ive spoke with my attorney this morning over the whole mess & he told me that i might as well forget about suing the hospital for neglect based on race or appearance,he also told me that if the roles were reversed that he would be able to make one he!! of a case out of it all,he also advised me to get a 2nd legal opinion which i did,the other lawyers opinion was the same & just to forget the whole mess.

There is a huge bias & double standard going on in the USA right now,if what had happened to me would have happened to a black person or an illeagel immigrant it would be all over CNN/Fox/CBS/NBC/PBS & maybe even UPS:D
Reverand "AL" would be on every tv station screaming for justice but since im white & dont look like a geek or a sissy i must have done something to deserve the lack of medical care.

The reason the news media dont cover more Black on White hate crimes is simple,all one has to do is look at past allegations made at them,they have been accused for decades of trying to shed a bad light on the black man so no coverage equals no accusations.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
The national news outlets are not going to cover a murder whose sole distinguishing factor was how brutal it was.

They need more than that, end of story.
Really,the media needs something more than sensationalism to promote a story:rolleyes:

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Zildjian, This looks to be a fictional story. The way it is written reminds me of the hype used for the Blair Witch Project. I may be a college students paper.

Highfihoney, sorry to hear about your misfortune. If your account is factual in the way in which the events occured you have a clear cut justified lawsuit against the hospital and all parties involved. Also criminal charges should be brought via the FBI, they still investigate these matters. Also, it is illegal to refuse medical treatment in emergency cases. The doctors involved will have to face discipline from the AMA. The hospital will face problems with the state.

One thing I learned in criminology class was that FBI database numbers get heavily skewed for several varying reasons. They compile info on categories of criminal charges and race, not the specifics or the outcomes. They are most useful to detect changes in overall patterns, not to reflect 100% clear statistics.

Not all crimes against other races are based on racial hatred. Some are based upon observations of different ethnic customs and are a type of racial profiling. For example, If you are going to become a professional mugger, you don't want to pick someone who probably has no money or anything of value.
I don't feel it helps in a positive to go into the stereotypes of different ethnicities who probably have money on them, believe me it's more than just pick someone who is 'white.'

Jack

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
...ive spoke with my attorney this morning over the whole mess & he told me that i might as well forget about suing the hospital for neglect based on race or appearance,he also told me that if the roles were reversed that he would be able to make one he!! of a case out of it all,he also advised me to get a 2nd legal opinion which i did,the other lawyers opinion was the same & just to forget the whole mess.
Contact the ACLU, they live for this stuff and aren't afraid of losing. Also, contact the FBI and tell them your civil rights were violated. If it were me I'd contact Opearation Rainbow, Jesse Jackson's group, and talk to them to. I'd also call the American Medical Association as well as finding out if the hospital recieves public funds. Lawyers used to tell black folk to forget about it before we had civil rights, if no one fought these types of issues things would never get any better.

Jack

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I'll be the first to say that putting them in prison will not bring justice to what they have done, but what will? The answer certainly isn't making a big story about it how it was a racially motivated attack upon white victims by a group of black assailants. Yes, you hit the nail on the head when you say the media is biased and that is exactly why people shouldn't form an opinion or try to get an accurate portrayal of much of anything by using the media as a primary resource for information. It's a horrible resource for educating people about anything and in my opinion too many people watch too much television.
Nicely said, Nuglets. The one problem is...the media does (and this has been statistically proven) alter perceptions and manipulate attitudes. A recent report (in the news, natch :( ) said that even the average U.S. toddler views 2 hours of television per day! :eek: It's an evil blight upon our society that won't just go away because of it's own weight. IMHO, it must be brought into the light of day and made into a national discussion...in the way we're doing here.

If there's any upside to our media in the U.S., (not an upside, really...just not so negative) it's that it's not as sick as some...like the Hamas tv cartoonish presentation in Palestine that has Mickey Mouse teaching small children the "joy" of killing Jews. THAT is the far side of sick bias and population manipulation.

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I think the term "hate crime" is a socially damaging and dangerous fiction. To create a more serious catagory of severity and punishment for a crime deemed to fit some arbitrary profile is demeaning and insulting to victims of and families of the victims of "random crimes" or thrill killings.

Does anyone remember when justice was ideally supposed to be blind?

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Zildjian, This looks to be a fictional story. The way it is written reminds me of the hype used for the Blair Witch Project. I may be a college students paper.
I thought it may be fictional too at first, but it seems to check out. Try a google search on it if you'd like. Here are just a couple links that came up when I just did one.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/carr/verdict_ctv.html
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/classics/carr_brothers/6.html

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis