Racially Motivated Attack? Is the media biased?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
The attached story represents some of the sickest behavior any person (or 5 persons) can perpetrate on another. While the national media practically put the Duke players on public trial for "raping" a lap dancer, there has been no coverage (in my area, the northwest) of these attacks in Tennessee. (Here's what can happen when you're headed to a friend's house for a little HT movie viewing.)

Drunk driver Rodney King's abuse by cops almost started a revolution. I wonder why this has gained no footing in the press or amongst the usual, self-proclaimed 'civil rights' leaders. :rolleyes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/newsom.asp

I don't know the answer to my questions posed in the title. But the issue sure has interesting ramifications.

Last edited:
highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Its the new way:mad: ,this case will get very little (if any media attention) due to the fear our media has of being labeled racist,color only matters in the USA if your white anglo,any other race is off limits & not to be talked about or exploited on the news.

This is what happens when we let our politicians/police & media white wash everything that does not involve "whitey".

The local paper in the town i live in has a section called "the police blotter" & its tells the readers what serious crimes were commited in the last 24 hours & gave a description of the person commiting the crime,under INTENSE PRESSURE from local civic groups they had to stop putting the criminals color in the description,they said it was putting minorities in a bad light:rolleyes: Everything is white washed nowdays in this all accepting society that used to be our country.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter whether the attack was racially motivated or not. This is absolutely disgusting and makes me sad.

The death penalty is far too kind for those losers. After years and years they will just get a little shot that makes them go to sleep forever. This is a perfect example where the punishment will not fit the crime.

The attackers should be tortured in the same way they tortured those two youg kids. How about shackle them all together in a dungeon and beat them day after day after day until they finally die. That would show the same disregard for human life that they showed the victims.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Its the new way:mad: ,this case will get very little (if any media attention) due to the fear our media has of being labeled racist,color only matters in the USA if your white anglo,any other race is off limits & not to be talked about or exploited on the news.

This is what happens when we let our politicians/police & media white wash everything that does not involve "whitey".

The local paper in the town i live in has a section called "the police blotter" & its tells the readers what serious crimes were commited in the last 24 hours & gave a description of the person commiting the crime,under INTENSE PRESSURE from local civic groups they had to stop putting the criminals color in the description,they said it was putting minorities in a bad light:rolleyes: Everything is white washed nowdays in this all accepting society that used to be our country.
I couldnt have stated that better........

Props to you...

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
There is a grammatical error in the title of this thread. It should read "The media is biased" not "Is the media biased?" I can change that for you if you like. :D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The reason the Duke players made national headlines is because they were members of an elite, nationally prominent athletics program.

These people are "just" people no one has ever heard of.

If two Duke lacrosse players were the victims, you could bet your butt that it would be on CNN.

Car accidents don't make national news. Car accidents involving celebrities make national news.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Actually, the snopes article you link to makes the counter-case that there ISN'T bias - that many crimes against whites are huge media events, and that this particular incident doesn't represent any particular trend.

This is especially true of the mainstream media's favorite: The Missing White Girl. For whatever reason, they pick some cute, usually blond, missing female (either child or attractive young woman) to hype until you can't stand it any longer, while thousands of others - less likely to be blond - girls go missing without mention.

B

Buckeye_Nut

There is a grammatical error in the title of this thread. It should read "The media is biased" not "Is the media biased?" I can change that for you if you like. :D

Yea.... no kidding.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, the snopes article you link to makes the counter-case that there ISN'T bias - that many crimes against whites are huge media events, and that this particular incident doesn't represent any particular trend.

This is especially true of the mainstream media's favorite: The Missing White Girl. For whatever reason, they pick some cute, usually blond, missing female (either child or attractive young woman) to hype until you can't stand it any longer, while thousands of others - less likely to be blond - girls go missing without mention.
I don't buy that, though. The unique, despicable horror that was brought upon the two victims is exactly the kind of story that the sensationalizing news media thirsts for. Snopes also doesn't deal with the lack of vocal outrage from the group I called the "civil rights" advocates (Jesse Jackson would be but one example.)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I don't buy that, though. The unique, despicable horror that was brought upon the two victims is exactly the kind of story that the sensationalizing news media thirsts for. Snopes also doesn't deal with the lack of vocal outrage from the group I called the "civil rights" advocates (Jesse Jackson would be but one example.)
No, it's not.

I remember reading a little blurb recently on CNN about some dude who *dismembered* and *barbecued* his girlfriend.

It was a one paragraph article I found by accident.

Your claim that this is "exactly" the kind of story that the media thirsts for is simply not true. There are thousands of incredibly brutal murders across the country every year and only a small handful make national news. The handful that do have something *else* like involvement of high profile people, a scandal, mystery, etc.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
What i find unacceptable in the media is how they skew the facts so as not to be labeled as racist or as singling out one group over another,many henious crimes go without media coverage for those reasons.

If the US Hate Crime statistics are looked it it IS VERY EASY TO SEE how the media wite washes these issues & sweeps them under the rug.The media uses THEIR OWN inhouse statistics (of coverage) to make what coverage they give look equal,regardless of what real Hate Crime statistics show.

This pratice,right or wrong is in their own best interest as they cant afford to be targeted by an "action group".

Matt34

Matt34

No, it's not.

I remember reading a little blurb recently on CNN about some dude who *dismembered* and *barbecued* his girlfriend.

It was a one paragraph article I found by accident.
Are you talking about that guy in Louisiana? If so, I was stationed with him in Germany, same MP company I was in just a different platoon.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Your claim that this is "exactly" the kind of story that the media thirsts for is simply not true. There are thousands of incredibly brutal murders across the country every year and only a small handful make national news. The handful that do have something *else* like involvement of high profile people, a scandal, mystery, etc.
Like Rodney King? High profile? Scandal? Mystery?

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
might I add...
like James Byrd, Jr the black man killed in Jasper, TX in the late 1998 by the 3 racist white guys. That was all over the news well before the NAACP got involved; it's still on NAACP websites. That was a horrible crime and should receive attention, but no worse than these other murders which have been swept under the rug by the media.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
How many brutal crimes occur every week, only a few a year ever get national attention.

Trying to find patterns or reasons for the coverage is probably futile, certainly looking at individual cases is pointless. There's not enough rhyme or reason to it.

Remember the "Year of the Shark" a few years ago? Turns out there were FEWER than average shark attacks that summer. Why did the attacks get so much coverage that year? Who knows. Probably some network exec's daughter knew someone whose cousin's babysitter's sister was attacked.

What are the actual numbers of racially motivated crimes? The latest FBI statistics available are below. This seems like a difficult thing to get accurate numbers on, but I'll trust the FBI to be in the ballpark:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/victims.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/offenders.htm
Racial Bias

Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2005, there were 4,895 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

* 67.9 percent were victims of an anti-black bias.
* 19.9 percent were victims of an anti-white bias.
* 5.3 percent were victims of a bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).
* 4.9 percent were victims of an anti-Asian/Pacific Islander bias.
* 2.0 percent were victims of an anti-American Indian/Alaskan Native bias.
(Based on Table 1.)

An analysis of available race data for the 6,804 known hate crime offenders revealed that:

* 60.5 percent were white.
* 19.9 percent were black.
* 12.3 percent were unknown.
* 5.2 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races (multiple races, group).
* 1.1 percent of known offenders were American Indian/Alaskan Native.
* 0.9 percent were Asian/Pacific Islander.
(Based on Table 9.)

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, huge scandal. LA police brutality and racism is a big story. Videotape of the crime, coverup by a governmental agency, brutal racist beating by white police officers. Had all the elements.

B

Buckeye_Nut

On these stories.....

If the story strokes liberal heart strings = Huge national story

If it doesnt stroke liberal fancy...... The murder will be swept under the rug, and maybe you'll see the story reported in a 20 second blurb....... and then it will be gone.

With the former, you'll get a taste of endless hours of commentary, editorializing, etc, etc, etc..........

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
How many brutal crimes occur every week, only a few a year ever get national attention.

Trying to find patterns or reasons for the coverage is probably futile, certainly looking at individual cases is pointless. There's not enough rhyme or reason to it.

Remember the "Year of the Shark" a few years ago? Turns out there were FEWER than average shark attacks that summer. Why did the attacks get so much coverage that year? Who knows. Probably some network exec's daughter knew someone whose cousin's babysitter's sister was attacked.

What are the actual numbers of racially motivated crimes? The latest FBI statistics available are below. This seems like a difficult thing to get accurate numbers on, but I'll trust the FBI to be in the ballpark:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/victims.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/offenders.htm
Racial Bias

Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2005, there were 4,895 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

* 67.9 percent were victims of an anti-black bias.
* 19.9 percent were victims of an anti-white bias.
* 5.3 percent were victims of a bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).
* 4.9 percent were victims of an anti-Asian/Pacific Islander bias.
* 2.0 percent were victims of an anti-American Indian/Alaskan Native bias.
(Based on Table 1.)

An analysis of available race data for the 6,804 known hate crime offenders revealed that:

* 60.5 percent were white.
* 19.9 percent were black.
* 12.3 percent were unknown.
* 5.2 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races (multiple races, group).
* 1.1 percent of known offenders were American Indian/Alaskan Native.
* 0.9 percent were Asian/Pacific Islander.
(Based on Table 9.)
The funny thing about numbers like you posted is they are wrong,they are organized to reflect less than truthfull percentages,most Black on White crimes are not considered Hate Crimes.

For a real look at what really goes down these numbers are far more accurate.

http://www.racismeantiblanc.bizland.com/005/06-02.htm

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis