Quick wiring question with Speakon 4pole connectors?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't see anything that leads me to believe they are doing anything with the output stages in this amp.

As long as there is a load of sufficient impedance no matter how it was connected, there is no reason this amp would be ruined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You never do anything to the output of an amp, only the input. At the input you phase split, so the positive deflections go to one amp and the negatives to the other. So the total waveform is reconstructed between the positives of both amps. The negatives are not used, but if you do, I can tell you the amps blow.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Well, the manual is pretty useless in this regard. The specs give power ratings for bridged, but there is no information in the manual for the input and output requirements that are necessary for bridged use (check the manuals for amps from other brands to see what I mean). So proceed at your own risk. The descriptions/explanations given for Bridged, Stereo, and Dual Mono (more commonly called “Parallel”) modes are the most ridiculous I’ve ever seen.

That said, you’re really chasing your tail here. In your case here’s no reason to bridge the amp to begin with. The 1000 is rated for 2-ohm operation, so you can just run your two 2-ohm drivers directly from each amplifier channel directly.

I mean, think about it: Bridged, the amp delivers 1050 watts at 4-ohms. Connect your two 2-ohm speakers, wired in series for a 4-ohm load, and that 1050 watts is divided between them: 525 watts to each. Run the amp in stereo, and connect a 2-ohm speaker to each channel and you have 530 watts to each speaker. IOW, it’s a wash, except that the former scheme is a hassle and the latter is easy and straightforward.

Get it?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
Per everyone's recommendations, each driver is currently wired to separate channels and she's happily kicking away. This is a seriously impressive build. I have an impossibly large space to fill (open living room to essentially the rest of the house) but she's holding her own for sure.

Thanks for the advice everyone. While I still may not fully understand this, nothing is damaged and it sounds good. That's good enough for me...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis