Quick Question Regarding the Pioneer VSX1130K

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I almost quoted @PENG about this too. I'm not sure how to interpret what he's saying, the difference between the voltage and current. Does the crossover filter prevent the amp from sending the full current, but sends the full voltage signal? It almost sounds like the opposite of what I posted earlier, but I might be interpreting it incorrectly.
Yes, that's the fact. Think about this too, if you turn everything on you are going to have voltage sitting at the power amp terminals, reading to eject (current.) whether you connect speakers or not, but it has to hold, and not eject because there is nothing to take the juice. Same thing here, if the tweeter's crossover would offer very high impedance to the 20 to, say 1000 Hz signal, then it would take next to nothing signal current in that range from the amp assign to it, again, the voltage is sitting at the amp and wants to push current through to it, but it just can't overcome the high impedance (not brick wall, but practically high enough for all intents and purposes).

The drivers will only suck what they need as per the crossover design. HD knows me, that I would always try to be reasonably accurate on technical matters that are black and white. In practical terms I think we can all agree passive bi-amp won't make any audible difference. Active bi-amp may, but then the purist/audiophiles would have to deal with some contradictory suppositions too. For example, while active bi-amp schemes could allow more flexibility in matching electronics to drivers, it also mean more electronics hardware and software/processing are introduced to the signal chain, so if they believe in "pure", such as "direct direct", then they should actually prefer passive bi-amp right? Just food for thought.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If each amplifier only sends a portion of the frequency range, then you are actively bi-amping. You know that in a passive bi-amping situation such as the one we are referring to here, , both amplifiers send the full frequency signal and the frequency range is actually split by the passive crossover which is in the speaker enclosure.
No, that's not true. We have been over this more than once, I guess you just choose to forget. So once again, hint: think current, not just voltage..;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis