Questions on: Ceiling reflections and vertical dispersion

S

Shike

Audioholic Intern
Greetings,

I was wondering if someone could help shed light on this topic. Lately I've been wondering on how ceiling reflections may be impacting my listening experience. As such, I referenced a copy of Sound Reproduction: Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms.

It's mentioned that while lateral reflections impact space, vertical reflections will inherently impact timbre. Not much is elaborated beyond this point though and it seems to trail off. What aspects of timbre is being focused on predominately? Is it related to tonal balance due to off-axis issues in the vertical domain of speakers?

Later, we see a section that evaluates THX claims. It notes that the controlled vertical dispersion claims made are in fact wrong in relation to clarity, but it never address whether it may be beneficial to reducing timbre impacts mentioned earlier. I would question if using such speakers would be beneficial, especially those that have trouble fitting ceiling treatment into their consideration?

Finally, in chapter 22 we see that an optional 1D ceiling diffuser is defined. There doesn't seem to be any explicit notes as to when these should be considered and why they are largely considered optional. What metric is being used to indicate whether it should be considered.

I've grabbed a copy of the 3rd edition recently and the entire ceiling diffuser recommendation, and what feels a good chunk of that section, appear to have been removed. Whether this was a choice based on later findings or just for streamlining doesn't seem to be defined anywhere.

Any thoughts/experience with this?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis