Question: Adding outdoor speakers to existing Sonos systems

T

Tbins

Audiophyte
Thanks in advance for any help. The following summary is a list of my existing setup. I am trying to understand what i need to/should get to add outdoor speakers to it.

Room 1:
Sonos Connect:Amp (2017)
Sonos Connect
4 ceiling speakers (no sonos)

Room 2:
Sonos Playbar
Sonos Sub
2 Ceiling Speakers (not sonos)

I'd like to add a couple outdoor speakers (sonance by sonos, or any other recommended setup) that would work with my current system. Assuming I purchased 2 sonance by sonos speakers, do I need an additional amp for the outside speakers? If I were to replace the connect:amp with the new Sonos amp, would that run the entire system (indoor and outdoor)?

Again, thanks in advance!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Sonos Amps are 2-ch amps, so they will power a single pair of speakers each. That makes them an expensive solution if you have a distributed system. An alternative would be to run all your speakers into a multi-channel amp like this one https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ma1240a-multi-zone-12-channel-amplifier--300-815
and then connect the Sonos Connect as an input to that amp. That would allow you to run all the speakers from a single Connect. It would not allow you to run different signals to different sets of speakers, but you could add additional Connect's over time to segment those out if you want to do that.

BTW, there is nothing unique about the Sonos by Sonance speakers other than marketing. The Sonance speakers aren't active speakers, so they need an amp like any other outdoor speaker. I'm not knocking the Sonance ones - I haven't heard them, but you can buy any outdoor speakers and connect them in this same way.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Room 1:
Sonos Connect:Amp (2017)
Sonos Connect
4 ceiling speakers (no sonos)
I assume the ceiling speakers are connected to your Connect:Amp and that they play audio fine from the Sonos:Amp.

Room 2:
Sonos Playbar
Sonos Sub
2 Ceiling Speakers (not sonos)
How do the ceiling speakers play? What is connected to them? The Playbar does not have any obvious way to connect to additional speakers, so this must be connected to something else. Perhaps another Sonos:Amp?

I'd like to add a couple outdoor speakers (sonance by sonos, or any other recommended setup) that would work with my current system. Assuming I purchased 2 sonance by sonos speakers, do I need an additional amp for the outside speakers? If I were to replace the connect:amp with the new Sonos amp, would that run the entire system (indoor and outdoor)?
It's definitely the case that you would need some source for your outdoor speakers and that you would need to wire for them properly. Speakers are speakers are speakers is a simple reality. There are nuances, but they are pretty much all based on a very similar concept. Most consumer speakers from reputable manufacturers are 8 ohm. Some are 4 ohm speakers. But, outdoor, indoor, in-wall, bookshelf, floor standing, rock, planter, etc. they are mostly the same. Few normal residential speakers have internal amplifiers. If they do, they are typically referred to as an 'active speaker'.

So, you can buy any outdoor speaker which is appropriate for your specific setup and environment. Take a look at outdoorspeakerdepot.com for a wide selection of speakers designed for outdoor use as well as speaker wire that's designed to survive the outdoors.

Be aware that wireless speakers have internal amplification and will need a battery or a power outlet to work. No such thing as magic speakers that run forever without power. So, that's a consideration and generally why people just use normal wired speakers.

So, pick up a pair of these:
or these:
or something else that is appropriate to your specific location and environment. Then get a Sonos:Amp to run them if that's what you are using everywhere else.

While I like Sonos, and they do have some excellent product, it can get a bit pricey when you end up with half a dozen of their AMP products in a system.

A used multi-channel amplifier can do a great job if you want to run multiple rooms with the same source, but things start getting a bit more complex if you want to mix and match sources and zones differently, and Sonos does offer that pretty much as built-in functionality.

FYI: The Sonos:AMP and the Connect:AMP are the same product. One is just updated a bit. Kind of like a 2015 Samsung TV vs. a 2018 Samsung TV. It's still only a single TV for a single room and if you want TV in two rooms, you need to buy two TVs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis