Question about PSB B15 and onix encore x-ls

A

andychen

Audioholic Intern
I am thinking to buy these two speakers to be used with my computer. The PSB B15 is $250 shipped new and encore x-ls is $240 used from local Craiglist. I know it is hard to tell which one is better. But I want to know the strengths of each speaker, so that I can choose one that suits me. I am looking for detail, good soundstage, and not too bright highs. I have a trends audio T-amp and plan to buy a kingrex or winsome amp soon. I also have a big panasonic amp which I may not want to use due to space. Anyone can offer their opinions on these two speakers? Thanks

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am thinking to buy these two speakers to be used with my computer. The PSB B15 is $250 shipped new and encore x-ls is $240 used from local Craiglist. I know it is hard to tell which one is better. But I want to know the strengths of each speaker, so that I can choose one that suits me. I am looking for detail, good soundstage, and not too bright highs. I have a trends audio T-amp and plan to buy a kingrex or winsome amp soon. I also have a big panasonic amp which I may not want to use due to space. Anyone can offer their opinions on these two speakers? Thanks
I have the previous generation PSB B1 and the current T45s and I think they are both a fantastic speakers. I haven't heard the encore x-ls. I can tell you that the B15s over a very solid soundstage with exceptional imaging, life like mids, detailed but subtle treble, inviting you to listen rather than being overly bright, and tight fast bass that goes down around 80 Hz or so. You should audition the PSBs to hear for yourself.

A

andychen

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your reply. I cannot audition the PSB, that is why I come here to ask. I saw the PSB has 6ohm, will that be a problem with my T-amp.

Also, how about PSB B25, I assume it has more bass than B15, do they differ in other ways? Thanks

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
Thanks for your reply. I cannot audition the PSB, that is why I come here to ask. I saw the PSB has 6ohm, will that be a problem with my T-amp.

Also, how about PSB B25, I assume it has more bass than B15, do they differ in other ways? Thanks
No problem with 6-Ohm, most 8-Ohm equipment will handle 6 Ohms without hesitation.

B25 is very different from B15, much more balanced, neutral, same details and mids, tight bass. Better than the X-LS.

Encores X-LS is a very good speaker that falls between the B15 and the B25.

A

andychen

Audioholic Intern
Really? I thought B15 and B25 sound very similar except the bass. What make the B25 much better in sound quality? Thanks

A

andychen

Audioholic Intern
It seems right now I want to buy a B25, my concern is my room is not very big and can I put the B25 fairly close to the wall? Thanks

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It seems right now I want to buy a B25, my concern is my room is not very big and can I put the B25 fairly close to the wall? Thanks
If you can avoid it, I would leave speakers away from the wall as far as possible. Speakers placed near the wall suffer from boomy bass, interference of wall reflections muddy the sound, destroy imaging. Some speakers are emant to be placed on or near the walls but many are not. The B25s are speakers that sound better moved away from the walls.

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
Logic will tell you that the B25 has more bass than B15, and that's it. But, no the B25 is superior in other aspects like soundstage, imaging, and neutrality. You need to compare them side by side to truly appreciate the difference.

When using my B25's, instead of my T45's, in my HT system I have them aproximately no more than 12" from the wall, and they are not boomy at all. The fact that they are front ported is a big help. My family room is 14' x 17' with 12' ceiling (all concrete no major acoustical treatments), maybe in a smaller room they sound boomier, but not on mine.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Logic will tell you that the B25 has more bass than B15, and that's it. But, no the B25 is superior in other aspects like soundstage, imaging, and neutrality. You need to compare them side by side to truly appreciate the difference.

When using my B25's, instead of my T45's, in my HT system I have them aproximately no more than 12" from the wall, and they are not boomy at all. The fact that they are front ported is a big help. My family room is 14' x 17' with 12' ceiling (all concrete no major acoustical treatments), maybe in a smaller room they sound boomier, but not on mine.
How close to the side walls are they?

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
How close to the side walls are they?
My T45's are 3ft. away from the side wall, and some 8" from the backwall. When I use my B25's in that system, the B25's are 4 ft. from the side wall, and 10" to 12" from the backwall.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My T45's are 3ft. away from the side wall, and some 8" from the backwall. When I use my B25's in that system, the B25's are 4 ft. from the side wall, and 10" to 12" from the backwall.
Ok. You have a good distance from the side wall. They still have room to breathe.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis