Question About Phantom Center for Home Theater

J

JohnnyN

Audioholic Intern
I can't find the answer to this question anywhere. When implementing a phantom center, what happens to the information that would normally be sent to the L/R channels? Are the L/R channels able to play the center channel audio + the L/R channel audio simultaneously? Or is the info that would normally be sent to the L/R channels lost when you're relying on them to play the center channel audio?

(I hope I'm explaining my question clearly. I understand that the information that would normally be routed to the center channel is instead routed to the L/R channels and the desired outcome is a phantom center. My question is about the information that would normally be routed to the L/R channels, when the L/R channels are being used to play the center channel info in phantom center set-up.)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The downmix I'd assume would put the center content into the L/R channels....but not sure how that particularly works in each avr out there....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I can't find the answer to this question anywhere. When implementing a phantom center, what happens to the information that would normally be sent to the L/R channels? Are the L/R channels able to play the center channel audio + the L/R channel audio simultaneously? Or is the info that would normally be sent to the L/R channels lost when you're relying on them to play the center channel audio?

(I hope I'm explaining my question clearly. I understand that the information that would normally be routed to the center channel is instead routed to the L/R channels and the desired outcome is a phantom center. My question is about the information that would normally be routed to the L/R channels, when the L/R channels are being used to play the center channel info in phantom center set-up.)
The left right information is not altered. The center channel is sent to the left and right speakers 50/50 and so you get a mono center image.
Most centers are so poor, that if you have good left and right speakers, you are better off with a phantom center, unless you have a really good center and they are far and few between.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Precedence Effect

That is the name for the phenomenon that allows you to perceive two separate sound sources, like a L + R speakers, as one image.

'Phantom Center's' exist due to this. But it is a less desirable set up than having an actual center channel speaker. Center speakers are arguably the most important in any surround sound system, simply because the majority of sounds are directed to the center channel.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I had a phantom center for a while. I too preferred it to a low quality center speaker.

B

bimasta

Audiophyte
I only use a phantom center. That's the purpose of Stereo: listen to any classical concerto (violin or piano) through a normal 2-channel system, and the solo instrument will be center-stage, where it belongs.

The same thing happens with the L/R fronts in an HT setup — the dialogue will "seem" to be in the center, and sounds more realistic.

A phantom center eliminates the need for a center-speaker (saves money) and frees up an extra mono channel on your amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis