Question About Bi-Amping & Crossover

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
I have a Yamaha RX-v681 and for my front speakers I have a pair of Klipsch 28F. I have them bi-amped using just my receiver's extra amps. How do I know my speakers are using their internal crossovers and should I still set the crossover at my receiver to 80hz?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Yamaha RX-v681 and for my front speakers I have a pair of Klipsch 28F. I have them bi-amped using just my receiver's extra amps. How do I know my speakers are using their internal crossovers and should I still set the crossover at my receiver to 80hz?
Unless you removed the internal passive crossovers, your using them. The crossover in the avr is to the sub. So if you set an an 80hz crossover your speakers will begin to be filtered out below 80hz at a determined slope. FWIW, your not going to gain any benefit by passive biamping off an avr, and very little off of separates.

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
everett - No I didn't remove the internal crossovers. I don't know what FWIW means but about gaining any benefits yeah I've been reading about that. I just might disconnect the second pair of speaker wires and put back the jumpers. Thank-you for replying!

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
One more thing I would like to ask. I read that DTS-HD Master is supposed to sound better or at least equal to Dolby. I have heard that DTS is supposed to be less compressed than Dolby. Now maybe I am doing something wrong but when I play a blu-rat that is in DTS on my system, I've never heard anyone else's, it sounds more compressed. Like the sound is stuffy. I have tried different settings using just my surround decoder, different DSP settings and it still sounds stuffy compared to Dolby.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
One more thing I would like to ask. I read that DTS-HD Master is supposed to sound better or at least equal to Dolby. I have heard that DTS is supposed to be less compressed than Dolby. Now maybe I am doing something wrong but when I play a blu-rat that is in DTS on my system, I've never heard anyone else's, it sounds more compressed. Like the sound is stuffy. I have tried different settings using just my surround decoder, different DSP settings and it still sounds stuffy compared to Dolby.
Dolby Digital and DTS are lost formats with DTS being at a higher bitrate. TrueHD and DTS MAHD are lossless. I prefer DTS personally, it's always seems like a hotter mix, but they probably more similar than not

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
OK then why does DTS sound so stuffy, compressed on my system?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
OK then why does DTS sound so stuffy, compressed on my system?
Not sure. If it's on every soundtrack, I'd say its personal preference. Is your player or the avr doing the decoding?

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
PENG - I never thought about doing that. I don't even know if my blu-ray player is capable of decoding. I'll have to look into it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG - I never thought about doing that. I don't even know if my blu-ray player is capable of decoding. I'll have to look into it.
I am not aware of any normal blu-ray player that cannot decode. Let us know if you can't figure out how to do it, but I am sure you can.:)

LoriQ

LoriQ

Enthusiast
PENG - I looked in the manual for my Blu-ray player and I found this. Is this what you are talking about?
[Downmix]
[Surround]: Outputs audio signals with
surround effects. Select this when
connecting an audio device that supports
Dolby Surround (Pro Logic) or DTS
Neo:6.
[Stereo]: Outputs audio signals without
surround effects. Select this when
connecting an audio device that does not
support Dolby Surround (Pro Logic) or
DTS Neo:6.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
your speakers will begin to be filtered out below 80hz at a determined slope
Even this needs to be double checked in the manual. My Yamaha always sends full range to the mains, even with "Bass Out" option activated.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG - By the way I have my player set on Surround.
It would be easier if you give me the player's model number then I can tell you for sure. Normally, people would set the player to "bitstream", so that the AVR or AVP will do the decoding, otherwise the media player will end up doing it and output to the AVR in PCM. If you AVR displays something like Dolby Digital+Dobby surround, Dolby Digital+PLIIx, DTSHD+Neural X, then you know the AVR is doing the decoding. If the display shows "Multi Ch in", "Stereo", or something like that, then the media player is doing the decoding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even this needs to be double checked in the manual. My Yamaha always sends full range to the mains, even with "Bass Out" option activated.
I thought you didn't use an avr but rather an integrated amp? What model is your Yamaha? In your Yamaha do you have the mains set to small and a crossover set accordingly? I'm not familiar with a "Bass Out" option.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis