QSC DCA 1222 Digital Cinema Amplifier

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I recently acquired a first QSC DCA 1222 which is going to be one of the three 2 channel amplifiers to bi-amplify the front loudspeaker enclosures of my home theater system.

This amplifier is part of the Digital Cinema Amplifier Series which QSC released in 1998 to provide sound amplification in professional cinemas. Many theaters in the United States and Canada are equipped with those QSC amplifiers, sound processing equipment, loudspeakers and subwoofers.

This product is rated for 200 watts/ch, both channels driven with 0.03% THD for an 8 ohm load, and 325 watts/ch with 0.05% THD at 4 ohms , and these figures are for the whole frequency range of 20 to 20,000 Khz. It also has a high current capacity for driving loads as low as 1.6 ohms per channel.

Apart from its excellent audiophile quality specs, it has among its features:
  • Active inrush limiting -won't trip circuit breakers at turn on

• THX approved for professional cinema applications
  • PowerLight power supply for great bass

• A higher SNR than that of most conventional linear power supplies

• Short circuit protection

• Rack mountable and only 14” deep. Weighs only 21 lbs.

• Rather quiet variable-speed fan cooled and back-to-front air flow

Later this year, I will purchase two additional such units to complete the amplification section of my 3 front channels, but for the time being, I am using this one to drive a pair of DIY three-way speaker cabinets.

As for my listening impressions, its crystal-clear neutral sound and its solid bass performance amaze me. I am really anxious to get the other two amps to complete my HT system.

When I have the three amps installed, after a period of use, I will report my impressions on the whole performance of the 3 front channels. I happen to have several SACDs which contain original three-track stereo recordings on the Mercury Living Presence and the RCA Living Stereo labels.

IMO, this series of pro amplifiers represent an excellent option for someone looking for a reliable neutral sounding high fidelity product to use in a home theater system or a studio, and at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Last week, I received the second DCA 1222.
I connected it to bi-amplify the right front channel, and I'm using the other one for the left front speaker.

After having run the Audyssey XT setup on the Marantz SR5010, I was first impressed with the room correction which this software has brought to the acoustic performance of the living room.

I was also immediately impressed by the neutral and transparent sound rendition of the QSC amplifiers. I now know that my HT system performance will not be limited by the amplifying system, taking into account that the impedance of the Dayton RSS390HF-4 subwoofers goes down to 3.8 ohms at around 50Hz. Those DCA 1222s can drive at full power any kind of speaker with an impedance as low as 1.6 ohms. WOW!

So far, I played several CDs and SACDs, mostly classical music, opera and a little bit of jazz. This afternoon, while seriously listening to good recordings, the peak SPL reached to 94-95dB of pure clean sound at a distance of 10 feet, my sweet sitting spot. I definitely don't regret the expense for getting those amps.

As promised, I will post again when I have received, installed and used the third amplifier, with my overall listening impressions on the performance of the three front speaker systems. That should be around the beginning of December.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
DSCF1415(a).jpg
Listening Impressions on the QSC DCA 1222 Digital Cinema Amplifier

Finally, I now have all the external power amplifiers at my disposition, having received the last one, a 4 channel amp. only 3 weeks ago. It is a QSC DCA 1824. This multichannel unit is used to drive the surround and surround back Left and Right Speakers. I am now ready to give you my listening impressions on the QSC DCA Series of Power Amplifiers which operate in Class AB and drive the 7 channels in my Home Theater system.

A Marantz SR5010 AVR is used as a preamp-processor. An OPPO BDP-95 Blu-ray player serves as the main source component. Depending on the source, this equipment can feed the audio signal into up to three identical, actively bi-amplified, 3-way front channel speaker cabinets of my own design, each one containing one 15 inch Subwoofer, two 5¼ inch Mid-bass drivers and one Air Motion Ribbon Tweeter. Four identical surround speakers enclose one 5 inch Mid-bass driver and one Air Motion Ribbon Tweeter.

When viewing the photo of the console, you will notice that the main components in the amplifiers chassis are fixed upside down at the top to prevent accumulation of dust on them and overheating. What a bright idea?
I have to mention that this DCA Series of power amplifiers made in the United States is not sold in pro audio shops. Only a few stores in California which specialize in cinema equipment carry the line. You can also obtain the information on a local distributor directly from QSC Audio, either on their website or through a phone call.

I spent time listening to various musical works and programs from Cds, SACDs, Blu-rays and DVDs. The recordings included classical music, opera, jazz and one action film on Blu-ray, the Martian with Matt Damon. While listening to good recordings, on several occasions, the peak SPL reached to 94-95dB at a distance of 10 feet, my sweet sitting spot.

After a reasonable period of serious listening over several weeks, my conclusion is that the QSC DCA 1222 amplifiers which I am using perform flawlessly with any audio source, and this qualification also applies to the DCA 1824 used for surround speakers. As for my listening impressions, the DCA 1222 crystal-clear neutral sound and solid bass performance amaze me. In my opinion, it is as acoustically transparent as any good audiophile amplifier. It deserves, as well as other DCA Series amps, a better place in the audioholic market.
q_amp_dca_1222_front.jpg

https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/power-amplifiers/dca-series/

SYSTEM: MARANTZ SR5010, 3 QSC DCA 1222 AMPS. DRIVING THE FRONT CHANNELS IN ACTIVE BI-AMPED CONFIG.
QSC DCA 1824 (4 CH. AMP.) FOR SURROUND CHANNELS
OPPO BDP-95, REVOX B77, TEAC AN-80 (NR), AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-LP1240, SHURE M97XE,
HITACHI HCA-8300, PANASONIC TH-50PZ80U, FURMAN PS-8R, APC H15
FRONT LEFT, CENTER & RIGHT SPEAKERS: DAYTON RSS390HF-4 SUB IN EACH CABINET CROSSING OVER TO 2 PEERLESS P830991 AND 1 AIRBORNE RT-4001, QSC XC-3 ACTIVE CINEMA CROSSOVERS (SUB-MIDRANGE) -ENCLOSURES: 7.8 CF DUCTED PORT (OWN DESIGN)
SURROUND L & R AND SURROUND BACK L & R: SB ACOUSTICS SB15MFC30-8 WITH AIRBORNE RT-4001
CABINETS: 0.38 CF DUCTED PORT (OWN DES.)

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I know this is an old thread, but how is the fan noise in the background?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I know this is an old thread, but how is the fan noise in the background?
I have 3 DCA 1222s operating at 6 feet from my listening position and they don't bother me. If you have only one, you shouldn't have to worry about the fan noise.

Actually, the fan on the DCA 1822 makes more noise than the fans from the 3 DCA 1222 operating simultaneously. In the other more recent thread, I mentioned that it was noisier as it had to cool 4 output stages instead of 2 in the same size chassis.

Last edited:
Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Noice! I've always been curious about using QSC on the home front. It's some pretty bomber gear. I've worked with them on the commercial front and have always been pretty happy.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I have 3 DCA 1222s operating at 6 feet from my listening position and they don't bother me. If you have only one, you shouldn't have to worry about the fan noise.

Actually, the fan in the DCA 1822 makes more noise than the fans from the 3 DCA 1222 operating simultaneously. In the other more recent thread, I mentioned that it was noisier as it had to cool 4 output stages instead of 2 in the same size chassis.
Thanks for the feedback. It would be nice to have another Pro amp besides the Crown I already own.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the feedback. It would be nice to have another Pro amp besides the Crown I already own.
If you decide to get either the 1222 or the 1622, you can verify on QSC website for a local distributor in your area, but I think that you wouldn't be able to get a better price than purchasing it from Socalcinetech in California:

https://socalcinetech.com/product-category/audio/amplifiers/

I'm really convinced that you would be entirely pleased with such product. QSC have had outstanding engineers and these amps were released in 1998. It just proves that if a product has good specs and performs well as expected, there's no reason to modify it.

EverettT just bought a DCA 1622 and is waiting for Salk speakers he ordered to use it with. He expects to receive them within a week or so. He mentioned that he would soon post his impressions on the Salks and on the QSC amp as well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I need another 300 W amp I wouldn't mind trying the DAC 1622 either. I like the switching power supply and class AB amp combination, a good known quantity.. Too bad I have too many amps already. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis