Put your fancy new lab to the test!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

What's the chances you could use your spiffy new lab to run a series of double blind listening test? That seems to be a hot button topic here anyway. Amps and cables would be the ideal things to test first.

I can't recall where you're physically located, but I'd love to see some cable manufactures and amp gurus involved with the tests. :cool: Particularly, it would be great to have a mix of listeners on the panel, some very subjectivist and some objectivist. There have to some folks brave enough to step up to the plate?

Another thing I'd love to see you test would be 24 bit vs 16 bit recordings. It shouldn't be to difficult to make some recordings yourself to compare.

Any chance of these things coming to pass?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The complexity and cost of addressing all of the relevant variables makes a scientifically valid test difficult. If you are intrested in amplifier comparisions, look up Richard Clark with the keywords 'amp challenge'. Mr. Clark has done hundreds of amplifier cmparisons with very strict controls on all levels of gear, from studio to audiophile to car audio. If you want lesser standard tests, such already exists and can be found. But when you don't employ strict controls/analysis, you invite a high probability of errored results.

-Chris

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Quite so, WmAx. Besides, as your examples imply, DBT/ABX in audio has already been done so often (with the same results) that to do it again is like demonstrating for the umpteenth time that the First Law of Thermodynamics is still valid.

The problem isn't a dearth of testing and evidence. It's the obstinate, willful ignorance and obfuscation by the flat-earthers and shills of the High End.

On the other hand, it would be fun and make a good article even if not up to AES publishing standards! Can I be on the listening panel? But a better use would be to continue expanding the objective testing for the Audioholics gear reviews.

BTW, the facility is in or near Orlando and our admins must be wondering if Ma Nature has it in for them. (Maybe she's on the Stereophile payroll.)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I didn't say it would be easy, guys. ;) That's why I suggested they do it instead of me! :D Besides, you guys wouldn't have to read it if don't want to.

Anyway, I don't recall ever reading any results of a DBT comparing a CD-R to the original. That would be a really interesting test. There may a lot of variables, but I think the AH guys are competent! :D At any rate, you could test the ol' green marker thing, the Black CD-R, etc.

Wish I lived closer- I'd lend my ears to such a test. I'd really like to see if there's a difference either way.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rob Babcock said:
I didn't say it would be easy, guys. ;) That's why I suggested they do it instead of me! :D Besides, you guys wouldn't have to read it if don't want to.
Lazy, bas***d! Hehe.

-Chris

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
WmAx said:
...Richard Clark with the keywords 'amp challenge'.-Chris
You mean David Clark. Richard Clark(e) is the former antiterrorism dude who wrote that book...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rip Van Woofer said:
You mean David Clark. Richard Clark(e) is the former antiterrorism dude who wrote that book...
No, I mean Richard Clark. Just look up Richard Clark amp challenge and you'll find him.

-Chris

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
There's too damn many Clarks in this business! I was thinking of the one who wrote those famous AES papers.

Going to listen to some Dave Clark 5 and some Petula Clark now...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis