Pure Direct vs Stereo

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks a lot!!!

My ultras are working now using Pure and Pure Direct.

:D

Pretty cool........I have one Quick Select for Movies, one for Stereo with Audyssey Byp. L/R and, now one for Direct/Pure Direct.

Thanks again!
Sweet, huh? :D

Congrats on your new AVR-4311 and Pure Direct 2.1! :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This thread made me get requainetd with my AVR and as result I have changed some settings on edited the programming on my Harmony 720 remote. I did a reset of the Yammy and wiped clean all of the memory..set all my speakers to small, send bass to sub and ran YPAO three times changing the curves from flat, natural, and front emphasis and storing each config into memories 1 to 3 respectively. I then turned off YPAO, set the bass from sub to fronts only and saved this config to memory. I've edited the command sequence on the harmony for DVD/BluRay to load the memory for the flat curve. I've edit the commands for my multimedia player as well to recall memory 4 so that I can use straight/without sub and YPAO for my MP3s.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This thread made me get requainetd with my AVR and as result I have changed some settings on edited the programming on my Harmony 720 remote. I did a reset of the Yammy and wiped clean all of the memory..set all my speakers to small, send bass to sub and ran YPAO three times changing the curves from flat, natural, and front emphasis and storing each config into memories 1 to 3 respectively. I then turned off YPAO, set the bass from sub to fronts only and saved this config to memory. I've edited the command sequence on the harmony for DVD/BluRay to load the memory for the flat curve. I've edit the commands for my multimedia player as well to recall memory 4 so that I can use straight/without sub and YPAO for my MP3s.
Spring cleaning, huh? :D

Feels good doesn't it?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Spring cleaning, huh? :D

Feels good doesn't it?
This thread made me do the same. Thanks for that. ;)

I'm still trying to figure out what my 809 does in stereo mode with everything Audyssey turned off. Stereo in that mode still sounds completely different than direct and pure direct. It should at least be similar.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
2 days ago I sold my DENON 3310 via Craigslist. This gentleman drives to my house in his old white Trans-AM car, pays me $400 cash, and he says that this AVR is for his 12 year old son! :eek:

Can you guys believe that? A 12 year old kid gets a $1500MSRP AVR. :D

I was afraid to ask him what speakers his 12YO son has. :eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
2 days ago I sold my DENON 3310 via Craigslist. This gentleman drives to my house in his old white Trans-AM car, pays me $400 cash, and he says that this AVR is for his 12 year old son! :eek:

Quoted from Men In Black 3 ..."Don't ask a question if you are not prepared to hear the answer" Ya done good. :)

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall

I earned the money that I spent on my first "HiFi" equipment. Builds character and obsession :)
Times have changed. I loved going to Tech HiFi and other stores n Washington's Birthday sales.
These places were mobbed.

I would not have dreamed of asking my father to buy me stereo equipment.

- Rich

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I earned the money that I spent on my first "HiFi" equipment. Builds character and obsession :)
Times have changed. I loved going to Tech HiFi and other stores n Washington's Birthday sales.
These places were mobbed.

- Rich
I asked my parents to help me out on my stereo as part of my Birthday gift...like covering the taxes.. I did the rest myself.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Same here. I never asked my parents for a dime when it came to any kind of electronics.

But, what if the parents offered? :D

I bought each of my 2 daughters a Motorola Xoom tablet and an iPad. So both get one of each. They both each also have a 32" LCD TV & BD player. But they never ASKED me for any of it. :D

The things we do for our kids! :D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Same here. I never asked my parents for a dime when it came to any kind of electronics.

But, what if the parents offered? :D

I bought each of my 2 daughters a Motorola Xoom tablet and an iPad. So both get one of each. They both each also have a 32" LCD TV & BD player. But they never ASKED me for any of it. :D

The things we do for our kids! :D
If they offered, I would have cheerfully accepted.

I bought both of our daughters iPads simply to get ours back :)
They are young, so there is still time to teach them the to earn and value their possessions.
i have no idea how I am going to do that. My wife agrees in principle but i have seen little evidence of it :)

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If they offered, I would have cheerfully accepted.

I bought both of our daughters iPads simply to get ours back :)
They are young, so there is still time to teach them the to earn and value their possessions.
i have no idea how I am going to do that. My wife agrees in principle but i have seen little evidence of it :)

- Rich
I know what you mean.

My daughters say, "Dad, you do spoil us...... But not TOO much." :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Video processing and other DSP are the big power hogs in the preamp. That is where all the heat comes from.

- Rich
That's another proof how little power is used in nomal listening especially for 2 ch stereo.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
OK guys, Ive read this thread several times now, so I wont inundate yall with too many questions. Im still in the middle of set up and calibration for all my new gear, so Im not real worried right now. Im waiting on my surrounds to get here, then Ill be able to really dive into it all. As of right now, I have been listening to a lot of 2 channel music and cant decide on whats better. A couple of things I noticed was how much louder (10dB) D/PD is from S. When I go in and check speakers levels, in one menu it shows them at the Audessey setting and then I check another menu and they show where I changed them for the 2-ch mode. Can you have your speakers set up one way for HT (the Audessey settings) and then have the levels different for P/PD/S mode at the same time? Im wondering if my stereo mode has the speakers set at a different level that D/PD. Im using a 4311.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK guys, Ive read this thread several times now, so I wont inundate yall with too many questions. Im still in the middle of set up and calibration for all my new gear, so Im not real worried right now. Im waiting on my surrounds to get here, then Ill be able to really dive into it all. As of right now, I have been listening to a lot of 2 channel music and cant decide on whats better. A couple of things I noticed was how much louder (10dB) D/PD is from S. When I go in and check speakers levels, in one menu it shows them at the Audessey setting and then I check another menu and they show where I changed them for the 2-ch mode. Can you have your speakers set up one way for HT (the Audessey settings) and then have the levels different for P/PD/S mode at the same time? Im wondering if my stereo mode has the speakers set at a different level that D/PD. Im using a 4311.
Oh, now, it's impossible inundate us with questions. :D

For sure, PD/D will turn off Audyssey. But I thought it would retain all the speaker channel levels. At least on mine. :D

I do know that you can save different speaker channel levels under the Quick Select buttons on your Denon. That is how I am able to level match my all speakers. :D

For example:

KEF 201/2 FL+7.0 FR+7.0 (Quick Select 1)
B&W 802D2 FL+0.0 FR+0.0 (QS2)
TAD 2201 FL+0.0 FR+0.0 (QS2)
REVEL SALON2 FL+5.0 FR+5.0 (QS3)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I have the same AVR.. Yes Pure Direct is louder than Stereo due to the null ( cancellation) of Dynamic EQ and volume, Dolby volume, Tone controls, XT32.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have the same AVR.. Yes Pure Direct is louder than Stereo due to the null ( cancellation) of Dynamic EQ and volume, Dolby volume, Tone controls, XT32.
Would PD still be louder than using Stereo Mode Bypassing Dynamic EQ, Dolby Volume, Tones, DSP modes, XT32 Audyssey?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis