Monolith 7 x 200 vs Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3.....which one to go with.

D

davidahn

Audiophyte
REALLY helpful thread. My Yamaha MX-A5000 just died (no sound, power LED blinks 3 times and turns off), and I will send to Tap Electronics for repair, but I was also considering Emotiva vs Monolith (11-channel) as a replacement. I will strike Emotiva off the list.

Agree that @Bonscott is definitely the one with negative emotions, not others who are simply posting a fact, that Emotiva refuses to repair their own gear after 5 yrs, one can only imagine to force an upgrade (though I would certainly not buy another Emotiva at that point). I usually keep my audio gear for 10+ years, and especially for $1-2K and up that don't obsolete (amps, not receivers/processors!), I expect to be able to repair it.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
interesting thread. I've considered buying emo speakers and amp... I do own an old Emotiva Fusion 8100 Receiver which works just fine for the last 7 years now. but need an upgrade since it doesnt support 4k.
My Oldest Son has their XPA-2 1st get, still going strong. Very powerful amp, umm if I remember right 500 x 2 into 4 Ohm load. So with that said umm it's more than likely 12 years old give or take 6 months. To bad EMO doesn't sell that line of amp anymore it's dead silent with very clean neutral and it has balls to the walls if you choose to go past reference level. I believe @gene ran test on that amp it exceeded Emotiva's posted spec sheet.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My Oldest Son has their XPA-2 1st get, still going strong. Very powerful amp, umm if I remember right 500 x 2 into 4 Ohm load. So with that said umm it's more than likely 12 years old give or take 6 months. To bad EMO doesn't sell that line of amp anymore it's dead silent with very clean neutral and it has balls to the walls if you choose to go past reference level. I believe @gene ran test on that amp it exceeded Emotiva's posted spec sheet.
Yep, that series was what pretty much got emotiva their name. Those amps were supposed to be excellent, but then build quality went down or something. Lots of issues online about that over the years. Too bad.

D

davidahn

Audiophyte
That's a good data point in selecting a product: a well-built, well-performing product (though we should pay less attention to glowing testimonials and more to larger sample sizes). A great warranty and great customer service are more good data points. Reliability and longevity are crucial data points, especially with amplifiers, since 1) they're expensive, and their value goes from $thousands to $0 if not repairable out of warranty, and 2) they don't obsolete like processors and AVRs, so theoretically can and should last decades.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis