PSA MTM-210Ts or What else is Next Level

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Hi All,

Anyone have any first hand experience with these? I'm a bit intrigued by them for my living room. My Infinity 263's/RC263 are sounding good supported by the Monolith M-215 sub which I think just keeps sounding better and better. No real reason to move off the Infinity's but am intrigued by what the next level home theater/TV/Steaming target is I should be keeping an eye on whether it be used or on sale new. I don't mind spending money but I don't want to buy a slight upgrade/up lateral move. I want to have an end game in sight whether it be immediate or few years down the line. Although I do get the itch for the action occasionally :)

Shady has shared some ideas with me already which were great ideas but I thought I would see if anyone else had any thoughts or experience with the PSA's specifically

Hope all have a great weekend

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
IMHO if you're happy with your speakers, stick with them.

I upgraded to PSA speakers from Klipsch RP600M cuz I hit distortion near reference during movies.

I didn't have room to add a power amplifier ( not sure if that would help)

So I got a pair of MT110 for L&R and a MTM210C and wow these things get LOUD and extremely clear with zero distortion...all powered by a X3400H

The horn loaded compression driver is very detailed. They provide awesome mid-bass. I'll be upgrading to MTM210 for my L&R and move the MT110 to surround duty.

Unfortunately the horn is only 90 degrees so these are NOT wide dispersion.

I would look at Revel & JTR. Those would be the next step up IMHO.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
How about some JTRs?
I love good horn speakers and I feel like JTR are the end game on that design. But that price increase he had to do earlier in the year. That made some options just out of reach. Luckily I got those RBH before they had to increase or it would have been the same issue

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
All I know is my buddy has PSA speakers and subs and I'm in love with them. Detail to the moon and back. They play super loud without breaking a sweat but that is not something I'm into but they can do it. I just love them. Way out of my price range sadly and while I don't need a pretty speaker these would not work looks wise for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the replies -lovin, I bet the JTRs would be amazing. I could maybe get away with those in the room I have at the top of the stairs which is closest to a theater room I have. I have 590s/530s/RC263 up there and I really don't want to replace that or just don't find the need.

The problem is that these are for our living room/main room of our house where I have the infinity setup which I can get away with presently with the wife. I think the JTR no grill look is too raw for that room. If they had nice black grills I could probably make that work. But they don't. The PSAs look like standard black speakers a little wider than the infinities but should fit.

This living room is where we watch most all our TV as a family so I have to maximize performance but still have it look decent in a room that is not a theater. The infinity setup looks fine and sounds good.

Key is I want to replace with something that would be WAY better and still fit the dimensions I have space for and looks good to great. All that isn't easy and why I know it might not be an over night upgrade. I might take a while but this is great learning

Hetfield- You bring up some interesting points on your experience with the PSA speakers. I don't just need LOUD. I run off of Monolith 7, I can turn my current speakers as loud as I want. So I guess what I enjoy is clarity, dynamics even at lower volume if there is such a thing, and an immersive soundstage that really makes you feel in the middle of the sound. Something that makes you say WOW that's impressive. Knowing that is based on placement/room/and subs (which I feel great about right now with the M-215 in the house :) ) So Hetfield does the PSA deliver that for you when your at your friends house ?

Thanks to you all for your time. It's fun to kick the tires on these things :)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
IMHO if you're happy with your speakers, stick with them.

I upgraded to PSA speakers from Klipsch RP600M cuz I hit distortion near reference during movies.

I didn't have room to add a power amplifier ( not sure if that would help)

So I got a pair of MT110 for L&R and a MTM210C and wow these things get LOUD and extremely clear with zero distortion...all powered by a X3400H

The horn loaded compression driver is very detailed. They provide awesome mid-bass. I'll be upgrading to MTM210 for my L&R and move the MT110 to surround duty.

Unfortunately the horn is only 90 degrees so these are NOT wide dispersion.

I would look at Revel & JTR. Those would be the next step up IMHO.
That looks great and your 210's will probably make that room super immeersive

You mention Revel. I know my Infinities are designed after more expensive Revel speakers. And that might explain why they are pretty good (Frankly they were such a good deal, that is what makes upgrading them so difficult. I got them for like $150 each (R263s w/coupons).

But with Revels, I've heard some that had the infinties and the revels and said the improvement was like 15%. Clearly they have better materials and much prettier cabinets. But I don't want to pay thousands for 15% :) Granted the 15% might be dead wrong

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the replies -lovin, I bet the JTRs would be amazing. I could maybe get away with those in the room I have at the top of the stairs which is closest to a theater room I have. I have 590s/530s/RC263 up there and I really don't want to replace that or just don't find the need.

The problem is that these are for our living room/main room of our house where I have the infinity setup which I can get away with presently with the wife. I think the JTR no grill look is too raw for that room. If they had nice black grills I could probably make that work. But they don't. The PSAs look like standard black speakers a little wider than the infinities but should fit.

This living room is where we watch most all our TV as a family so I have to maximize performance but still have it look decent in a room that is not a theater. The infinity setup looks fine and sounds good.

Key is I want to replace with something that would be WAY better and still fit the dimensions I have space for and looks good to great. All that isn't easy and why I know it might not be an over night upgrade. I might take a while but this is great learning

Hetfield- You bring up some interesting points on your experience with the PSA speakers. I don't just need LOUD. I run off of Monolith 7, I can turn my current speakers as loud as I want. So I guess what I enjoy is clarity, dynamics even at lower volume if there is such a thing, and an immersive soundstage that really makes you feel in the middle of the sound. Something that makes you say WOW that's impressive. Knowing that is based on placement/room/and subs (which I feel great about right now with the M-215 in the house :) ) So Hetfield does the PSA deliver that for you when your at your friends house ?

Thanks to you all for your time. It's fun to kick the tires on these things :)
There isn't a lot of love here for PSA for some reason, I have not quite figured it out but that seems to be the case.
The clarity that I heard from PSA is the best I have ever heard. When he played the awesome race scene in the movie "Ready player one" I was blown away and honestly could not believe what I was hearing. I didn't really listen at lower level though but I can't imagine that clarity going away at lower volumes especially with how efficient/sensitive these speakers are. Like I said I wish I was willing to spend this much on speakers. I would have them in a heartbeat. I can afford them but I'd probably have my hands cut off of I did.

Last edited:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
Hi All,

Anyone have any first hand experience with these? I'm a bit intrigued by them for my living room. My Infinity 263's/RC263 are sounding good supported by the Monolith M-215 sub which I think just keeps sounding better and better. No real reason to move off the Infinity's but am intrigued by what the next level home theater/TV/Steaming target is I should be keeping an eye on whether it be used or on sale new. I don't mind spending money but I don't want to buy a slight upgrade/up lateral move. I want to have an end game in sight whether it be immediate or few years down the line. Although I do get the itch for the action occasionally :)

Shady has shared some ideas with me already which were great ideas but I thought I would see if anyone else had any thoughts or experience with the PSA's specifically

Hope all have a great weekend
I guess I'm one of the few that were not impressed with them. I tried 3 MT110s for my front 3 as an upgrade from my klipsch RF62IIs and an RC52. My main concern was that they were to be better than the RF62s.

IME they were a lateral move. Less efficient in my room but no harshness at high volumes and no bass whatsoever below 80hz. My NHT SuperOnes have more output below 80hz. Not super important when using subs.

Everything else was a wash, soundstage, mid range etc... Was not worth the price to me.

Chanced the Q750s that were on sale at the time. Better speakers in every way, IME in my room. I'd look to keep your Infinities but you might want to try the PSA speakers to quell any what ifs.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I'm one of the few that were not impressed with them. I tried 3 MT110s for my front 3 as an upgrade from my klipsch RF62IIs and an RC52. My main concern was that they were to be better than the RF62s.

IME they were a lateral move. Less efficient in my room but no harshness at high volumes and no bass whatsoever below 80hz. My NHT SuperOnes have more output below 80hz. Not super important when using subs.

Everything else was a wash, soundstage, mid range etc... Was not worth the price to me.

Chanced the Q750s that were on sale at the time. Better speakers in every way, IME in my room. I'd look to keep your Infinities but you might want to try the PSA speakers to quell any what ifs.
From friends that have owned them the lack of true extension below 80 hz threw them off a bit. But in fairness these are designed to go with subs. But I've also heard great things too. I do agree with trying them so you have no what if remorse. Tom has a very generous return policy. Nothing wrong with giving them a shot

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I am simply stunned by the lack of love for PSA. Tom is a veteran in the industry, his company is based in Ohio, the speakers are assembled in Ohio, they are super efficient and play extremely loud and are extremely detailed with excellent clarity. Again I don't own them and doubt I ever will but got to defend them a bit based on the times I have heard them. I was blown away by them but yeah of course they need a great sub. I don't think Tom hides that fact, he designed the to be used with a sub.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am simply stunned by the lack of love for PSA. Tom is a veteran in the industry, his company is based in Ohio, the speakers are assembled in Ohio, they are super efficient and play extremely loud and are extremely detailed with excellent clarity. Again I don't own them and doubt I ever will buy got to defend them a bit based on the times I have heard them. I was blown away by them but yeah of course they need a great sub. I don't think Tom hides that fact, he designed the to be used with a sub.

I like em…..

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
:confused:
Just looking at specs, there is no listed 3dB point on his FRs for his Speakers. He simply lists 70Hz-18kHz for the 210 monitor, and 60-18k for the 210 tower.
I would never even consider those speakers without seeing what it is doing.
Strangely, this is exactly why I didn't buy from Eric and Tekton. No reference information to support the subjective claims of how amazing they are.
Consider guys like Dennis M, Dave F, Jim S, and even the late Rick C... they all make information on their Speakers performance readily available.
With Dennis and Rick (should include Jeff P), they have sent designs out to be vetted by third parties, too.

I'm not interested in bagging on any designer, regardless of where they live or how long they have been in the industry.

As an educated consumer, I am interested in proof of why I should give a person my business. Subjective claims carry no water. Whether I'm buying a power tool, a computer, a phone, or Audio Gear, I want to see the straight dope before I buy. If the company isn't willing to proved for that in any of their respective marketplaces, they are dead to me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just looking at specs, there is no listed 3dB point on his FRs for his Speakers. He simply lists 70Hz-18kHz for the 210 monitor, and 60-18k for the 210 tower.
Strangely, this is exactly why I didn't buy from Eric and Tekton. No reference information to support the subjective claims of how amazing they are.
Consider guys like Dennis M, Dave F, Jim S, and even the late Rick C... they all make information on their Speakers performance readily available.
With Dennis and Rick (should include Jeff P), they have sent designs out to be vetted by third parties, too.

I'm not interested in bagging on any designer, regardless of where they live or how long they have been in the industry.

As an educated consumer, I am interested in proof of why I should give a person my business. Subjective claims carry no water. Whether I'm buying a power tool, a computer, a phone, or Audio Gear, I want to see the straight dope before I buy. If the company isn't willing to proved for that in any of their respective marketplaces, they are dead to me.
Can’t disagree and certainly not arguing with you. But it seems in my memory Tom is good about providing information to those who ask. I do think it should be readily available, but I wouldn’t say Tom isn’t willing to share.
I don’t have a horse in this race, just thinking out loud.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Was curious if anyone measured, but can't see the graphs ..... https://www.hometheatershack.com/threads/power-sound-audio-mtm-210-speaker-review.113313/ was most curious how accurate the sensitivity was, believe I'd seen its been overstated by PSA but not sure....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not personally familiar with PSA speakers, but I'm sure that they are very dynamic, detailed, and bright.
However, from my personal experience, the absolute best sounding speakers I've ever heard are Salk Sound Soundscape 8. I know SS8 are way about your price point, but I'd like you tell some of more affordable options:
a) http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html (optionally with the Raal Ribbon)
b)https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower II
and finally and that would bring even higher level - basically end-game speakers are BMR Towers from
https://www.philharmonicaudio.com/ - they are more expensive at 3.7k/pair plus shipping, but like I said you'd have to go 2-3 times the cost to match performance.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So let me ask you guys something, you go to someone's house and you listen to their speakers and it sounds awesome, you are just over the moon they sound so good. You never heard of these speakers before but you go home check their website and there aren't the graphs and measurements you are looking for here from PSA so you then change your opinion that what you heard actually sucked? Do you see how absurd this gets?
You were amazed by these speakers but the website doesn't give you measurements you want so somehow they are inferior now?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How a complex electrical and Acoustic system perform as a standalone item is different than how it will sound in your room.
Both sides have to be met to make a happy marriage.
There are instances of perfect measurements that don't sound great, and there can be opposite situations, too.

How many people think Bowers & Wilkins are the best Speakers ever designed? Yet, I would never choose to buy them for any reason.

@Hetfield , I respect that you liked what you heard. I'm not commenting on that, and you know this. But the same people that go out and hear B&W say the same thing, yet the measurements I've seen, and my own personal experience with the 600 and 700 series doesn't match up with their experience.

Similarly, my interest in Tekton was because of the noise I heard on the street. I also talked to Eric several times and enjoyed our conversations. But a little more digging and educating myself started throwing up red flags. And then there was a decent, but less than stellar stereophile review of one of his products that raised other concerns still.
It was an easy decision to make, not buying from him.
Especially after I heard the Phil 3s in somebody's home near me. That, coupled with the abundant evidence of many measurements of product Dennis designed, including measurements performed at the NRC in Canada left me much more certain that I could trust in what I was getting.

The kicker is, if you are going to spend over $2500 on Speakers for your mains (easily 5-7K on a 7.1 system), there are a lot of very good products in that price range. So do PSA's Towers make sense when I would need to reach out to Tom for information that should be readily available in a crowded and competitive marketplace? Especially when I have no way of knowing whether his measurements are legit? (And please, remember we are supposed to be able to trust these things, but Klipsch and Def Tech... *shrugs)

I will remain a skeptic until I see some worthwhile information that is not subjective hearsay. And please keep in mind that many people insist Klipsch is one of the best Speaker manufacturers out there, yet there is precious little evidence they have put out anything truly worthy of being called a "good design." That, friend Hetfield, is backed up by many measurements by reputable third parties. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So let me ask you guys something, you go to someone's house and you listen to their speakers and it sounds awesome, you are just over the moon they sound so good. You never heard of these speakers before but you go home check their website and there aren't the graphs and measurements you are looking for here from PSA so you then change your opinion that what you heard actually sucked? Do you see how absurd this gets?
You were amazed by these speakers but the website doesn't give you measurements you want so somehow they are inferior now?

Personally I've never heard them. Heard both positive and negative comments; not all speakers impress everyone equally. I'd just like to see the measurements; it's not likely I'll get to hear these. I haven't gone to someone else's house and been blown away by their speaker setup in many many years and I don't think anyone in town has anything to be impressed by either. Then again just because it sounds good in their house doesn't mean it will in yours particularly either. That said, haven't heard the JTRs either but I think they'd be more my choice over PSA just because I'm more interested in their lineup of speakers/subs.....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I like Tom have spoken to him when I was in the market. Like him a lot. But Ryan's point is why Tom sometimes gets hesitancy from some buyers and some people on forums. The problem with not giving you the buyer detailed measurements or specs is what sounds great in one room may not sound good in another.

So measurements and reviews that are measurement based not just subjective helps you make that final decision on what you might be dealing with when you take those speakers you like and put them into your room

Don't get me wrong your feedback is important bro you've made me even more curious about PSA but even though your experience is important I'm still calling him and asking him for graphs and actual specs and any other data I need before I commit to that kind off money

But in Tom's defense he seems to be doing just fine he relies less on official advertising and more on customer satisfaction and word of mouth to build his business and it works just fine he is not hurting for business.

But this is why I went with RBH. They provide info that has been third party reviewed. So I know it's legit. Even if Tom provides info like Ryan has said how do I know it's legit if it's not 3rd party tested. RBH's info helped me decide if they would be a good risk in my room

I don't think Tom is like that I think he's an honest guy but still it's a lottof money once you step into that level. I can't blame people if that makes them a little bit hesitant to try the product.

Still someday I'm trying me some PSA speakers I like Tom's interactions with me and one day I will go for it I love good horns and I do feel his products blow right past Klipsch and only fall short of JTR in this design. I say feel tho because there is no good 3rd party measurements to back up my claims.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis