PSA MTM-210Ts or What else is Next Level

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well like I said PSA doesn't get much love here, I guess there is a reason. I really liked them but I'm easily impressed I will admit.
Tekton is interesting, they look like really good speakers, again not so beautiful. They are assembled in the US aren't they? The prices are not outrageous either. Does anyone know what the 200 dollar upgrade package really is and if it's worth it?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It's not, really. Some Premium XO components, Mil Spec Wiring, a few other random things he believes make a difference. It's changed, what he offers, in the last two years, but I did find it spelled out what the current upgrade package entails vs his SE version of the same Speakers.

Eric/Tekton is in Utah. He buys OEM drivers from other companies (Seas, SB Acoustics, etc.) They build and finish cabinets there and assemble everything. No different than many of the other ID Companies.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ryan, thanks for taking the time to look at the reviews. Yes the 263 are the same as 253 with 6.5's instead of 5.5 and yes you wouldn't want these without subs but I have a few of those.

Yes, all I have 3 ways currently in the room. The room is 20x15 and open to the kitchen and entry way to the house so very open concept and some space to fill. Only 9 ft ceilings though at least in the room although the entry way has a very high ceiling.

This room is our main room and used to watch TV/Streaming/Movies exclusively. Has to look nice here so no open faced JTR's will work here AND I am limited in width for my towers to about 11 inches so RBH's wouldn't work over there (even if I was willing to pay that :) )

So, focus is on having the absolute best WOW dynamics for home theater/tv as possible and it is the goal to only pay once if possible for a long time because frankly what I have can work. So while it's fun to look, it's not an urgency to flip out of what i have because those are good. I'll post a few pics. You will see the limitation of how I can spread my towers which I'm sure isn't ideal.
It's funny infinity was recommended by Tom. I would like the 253 I think it is, but the 3-way center is out of stock and has been for a long time. I'd be worried about not being able to get the matching center.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's not, really. Some Premium XO components, Mil Spec Wiring, a few other random things he believes make a difference. It's changed, what he offers, in the last two years, but I did find it spelled out what the current upgrade package entails vs his SE version of the same Speakers.

Eric/Tekton is in Utah. He buys OEM drivers from other companies (Seas, SB Acoustics, etc.) They build and finish cabinets there and assemble everything. No different than many of the other ID Companies.
Oh wow so the upgrade in the end is not with the extra 200 bucks. It's still the same drivers and tweeter either way right?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Here is a view of my front 3

Front 3.jpg

Here is the sub that is in an open space in the corner behind the TV stand

1632093322922.jpeg

Here is one surround near couch plus nearfield sub

1632093424003.jpeg

Sorry for the terrible picture taking

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If an audio manufacturer is doing so well that they feel no need to offer transparency about their products, I would encourage shoppers to give business to those companies that do offer transparency. Also, I wouldn't be so hard on Klipsch versus PSA. Klipsch's hybrid tractrix horn is significantly more advanced than the ancient waveguide that PSA is using. PSA uses a constant directivity horn design that is literally older than I am. It was conceived in the mid '70s. It's absurd to see it on a speaker priced at what PSA is selling them for.
Maybe you can help me out with something here Shady. I was very impressed with my rp 8000f's. BUT I keep hearing of some weird measurement for the towers Klipsch sells some kind of crossover issue between the drivers. But that kindoff measurement should have been audible to me. But it wasn't. Maybe you can clarify on this? I've also heard they don't measure right if they don't have a certain distance they are not meant to be listened to up close

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In Shady's review, he even mentioned a little squirreliness at the XO. This is why I asked you back then if you noticed the difference going to the JBLs after the Klipsch. IIRC, you commented that they sounded more realistic and more neutral with vocals.
;)
I suspect this is the thing.

And yes, because of the size of those drivers and the distance to the radiating center of the horn, as I understand, you would want a good 2m for measurement. I think I heard Danny's XO fix was based on 1 meter measurements which would be way too close for those drivers to resolve into one sound.

Thoughts, Shady? :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In Shady's review, he even mentioned a little squirreliness at the XO. This is why I asked you back then if you noticed the difference going to the JBLs after the Klipsch. IIRC, you commented that they sounded more realistic and more neutral with vocals.
;)

And yes, because of the size of those drivers and the distance to the radiating center of the horn, as I understand, you would want a good 2m for measurement. I think I heard Danny's XO fix was based on 1 meter measurements which would be way too close for those drivers to resolve into one sound.

Also the biggest thing I noticed with the JBL's is everything the Klipsch could do they did just a bit better but on a dynamics and scale that the Klipsch couldn't pull off. The JBL'S had the coolest waveguide also no matter where you sat in the room they sounded great up close or far away they sounded great just uncanny like never experienced that to that level with just about any other speaker until RBH

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
;)

But I do need to clarify the RP 8000f we're no slouch. They got beat but they didn't embarrasse themselves at all

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also the biggest thing I noticed with the JBL's is everything the Klipsch could do they did just a bit better but on a dynamics and scale that the Klipsch couldn't pull off. The JBL'S had the coolest waveguide also no matter where you sat in the room they sounded great up close or far away they sounded great just uncanny like never experienced that to that level with just about any other speaker until RBH
I wish there was a way to quantify the "excitement and immediacy" effect of Klipsch speakers through measurement...
What is it that make them sound so... well, exciting? And immediate? :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But I do need to clarify the RP 8000f we're no slouch. They got beat but they didn't embarrasse themselves at all
And Shady stood up for his review and defended them on several instances. Even lately, he still has said they are a pretty good Speaker and one of the better efforts they have put forth.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a view of my front 3

View attachment 50405

Here is the sub that is in an open space in the corner behind the TV stand

View attachment 50406

Here is one surround near couch plus nearfield sub

View attachment 50407

Sorry for the terrible picture taking
Wow man... why'd you put Baby in the corner?

:)

Well, I'm just gonna come clean and say it time to fight for the right to have a proper HT set up. :D
(OK, friendly needling aside...) ;)
Please do not misunderstand... we all have things we have to do to make it work in our own homes. Not all of us get to design from the ground up like Gene, or pull a Danzilla and just pimp out the whole floor. Also a corner can be used to good effect.
I've been criticized for having my Mains too close together, and I would say the same for you, too. It's not the end of the world, but it can have a significant effect on what you can attain in terms of potential soundstage and imaging.
If you are happy with them, I would say keep the Infinitys for another year or two and see what you can do on working up a plan for resetting your system. To me, proper Speaker placement would need to be just as important as picking the proper Speakers for you. Towers allow for greater dynamics, and as we already discussed our predilection for 3-ways... :p

Anyway... I say sit tight for a bit. See what you can work out for set up. Save some coin for a real upgrade. If your SO is willing, get her involved. Show her some pictures of Salk Speakers! :D Tell her she can pick the veneer and finish!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow man... why'd you put Baby in the corner?

:)

Well, I'm just gonna come clean and say it time to fight for the right to have a proper HT set up. :D
(OK, friendly needling aside...) ;)
Please do not misunderstand... we all have things we have to do to make it work in our own homes. Not all of us get to design from the ground up like Gene, or pull a Danzilla and just pimp out the whole floor. Also a corner can be used to good effect.
I've been criticized for having my Mains too close together, and I would say the same for you, too. It's not the end of the world, but it can have a significant effect on what you can attain in terms of potential soundstage and imaging.
If you are happy with them, I would say keep the Infinitys for another year or two and see what you can do on working up a plan for resetting your system. To me, proper Speaker placement would need to be just as important as picking the proper Speakers for you. Towers allow for greater dynamics, and as we already discussed our predilection for 3-ways... :p

Anyway... I say sit tight for a bit. See what you can work out for set up. Save some coin for a real upgrade. If your SO is willing, get her involved. Show her some pictures of Salk Speakers! :D Tell her she can pick the veneer and finish!
Yes but I must add there is a price for being able to pimp out the whole floor

1. One must be prepared to be single for the rest of there life

2. Only the company of speakers and movies and music to snuggle with at night

3. Be prepared to have a ton of friends ALWAYS wanting to use your place for football sports popular TV shows concerts and movie nights. Which means your constantly restocking the amenities and cleaning up the place

Even pimping doesn't come free Ryan ;)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Yes and keep in mind this is my living room :) I have more freedom upstairs. But I'm constrained by this room needs to look nice. But that spot for the sub works pretty well. I have a nice curve on my subs after using REW and MiniDSP. No way that sucker is going to sit in the middle of my living room.

But your comment on the finish of the veneer is right along with my thinking. Investment in speakers as furniture is the right way of thinking for this kind of room and will allow for extra $$ being allowed by the lady. Also generally I agree with you that keeping the powder dry and waiting for the perfect fit is the right idea. With lots of learning and fun from threads like this.

OR if some kind of cray used deal comes my way, I'll then be ready to stirke

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes and keep in mind this is my living room :) I have more freedom upstairs. But I'm constrained by this room needs to look nice. But that spot for the sub works pretty well. I have a nice curve on my subs after using REW and MiniDSP. No way that sucker is going to sit in the middle of my living room.

But your comment on the finish of the veneer is right along with my thinking. Investment in speakers as furniture is the right way of thinking for this kind of room and will allow for extra $$ being allowed by the lady. Also generally I agree with you that keeping the powder dry and waiting for the perfect fit is the right idea. With lots of learning and fun from threads like this.

OR if some kind of cray used deal comes my way, I'll then be ready to stirke
The grass may look greener... until you jump the fence, take a short walk and find all the crab grass, dandelions, and wild radish growing, then step on a hornet nest... and run for your dear sweet life. :D

I think your mind is in the right place.
Besides, this is still a pretty sh!tty time to be spending money on gear.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Maybe you can help me out with something here Shady. I was very impressed with my rp 8000f's. BUT I keep hearing of some weird measurement for the towers Klipsch sells some kind of crossover issue between the drivers. But that kindoff measurement should have been audible to me. But it wasn't. Maybe you can clarify on this? I've also heard they don't measure right if they don't have a certain distance they are not meant to be listened to up close
;)

What Ryan said. Klipsch actually designs and measures their tower speakers for a three-meter listening distance. That being said, there is room for improvement in the RP-8000F design, but it wasn't as bad as Danny Richie made it out to be. Some of their other speakers have had crossover problems, and I am not sure how much they would have been ameliorated by a more distant measuring position.

S

smodtactical

Audiophyte
What Ryan said. Klipsch actually designs and measures their tower speakers for a three-meter listening distance. That being said, there is room for improvement in the RP-8000F design, but it wasn't as bad as Danny Richie made it out to be. Some of their other speakers have had crossover problems, and I am not sure how much they would have been ameliorated by a more distant measuring position.
Sorry if I missed it but have you compared the rp8000s esp mk II vs the MTM 210s? Any subjective thoughts?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sorry if I missed it but have you compared the rp8000s esp mk II vs the MTM 210s? Any subjective thoughts?
I haven't heard the MTM 210s and don't know how they perform. My guess is that they would be more powerful but with less well-behaved dispersion since the waveguide is pretty old.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis