Psa 15v vs hsu vtf 15h mk2

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom V.

Audioholic
I'm not going to spend much time with all of the slander that is being spread here----I'm surprised Gene is okay with this constant spread of misinformation on his forum, but whatever.

I'm now a moderator covering AVS and this is the reason "shady" is now banned....okay. Here is the truth. I guess I was given "moderator" status for this SINGLE PSA specific forum, that I forgot was even created LOL. I don't think I have even made a post there. Anyone can see, no one bothers with this area,. So that's my "moderator" status LOL. Some obscure forum that no one even knows about. And even thought I or shady (or anyone else for that matter) has never posted there...(so there's nothing for me to "moderate") he feels the need to point out my status with the clear implications I've been using my "moderator status" to edit posts, etc. What a load of BS.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/426-power-sound-audio/

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Parts Express has their 18" Ultimax sealed kit with 1200 watt DSP amp for $899 (down from $1499) right now.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I'm not going to spend much time with all of the slander that is being spread here----I'm surprised Gene is okay with this constant spread of misinformation on his forum, but whatever.

I'm now a moderator covering AVS and this is the reason "shady" is now banned....okay. Here is the truth. I guess I was given "moderator" status for this SINGLE PSA specific forum, that I forgot was even created LOL. I don't think I have even made a post there. Anyone can see, no one bothers with this area,. So that's my "moderator" status LOL. Some obscure forum that no one even knows about. And even thought I or shady (or anyone else for that matter) has never posted there...(so there's nothing for me to "moderate") he feels the need to point out my status with the clear implications I've been using my "moderator status" to edit posts, etc. What a load of BS.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/426-power-sound-audio/

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
This is hilarious, I've been at AVS a long time and was wondering what all this business about being a mod was all about, I had no idea this special PSA forum even existed :) Like Tom said it seems pretty disingenuous to point that out and imply something, not that I have any dog in this 'fight'.

The PE kit mentioned above with DSP amp was new to me, looks interesting but OOS now, also it requires cutting the amp section so not quite so easy.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The PE kit mentioned above with DSP amp was new to me, looks interesting but OOS now, also it requires cutting the amp section so not quite so easy.
A friend with an oscillating cutting tool would be able to cut the amp section in 10 minutes or less. Any wood shop would probably do it for $20 also. It's a hell of a deal.. the 18" Ultimax is a beast, and that size driver with that much power in a sealed box would be phenomenal. Too bad it's OOS.

You could also just buy the driver and enclosure, then add a Behringer iNuke1000 DSP amp. You'd just need to install a Speakon connector on the box, which would be much easier than installing the whole amp. You'd save a couple of hundred bucks, too. Total maybe $700 for the driver, enclosure, amp, plus the Speakon connector, a couple of cables, screws, and acoustic stuffing. Maybe some paint, if you want it not to be hideous.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A friend with an "oscillating cutting tool" (read "jigsaw") would be able to cut the amp section in 10 minutes or less. Any wood shop would probably do it for $20 also. It's a hell of a deal.. the 18" Ultimax is a beast, and that size driver with that much power in a sealed box would be phenomenal. Too bad it's OOS.

You could also just buy the driver and enclosure, then add a Behringer iNuke1000 DSP amp. You'd just need to install a Speakon connector on the box, which would be much easier than installing the whole amp. You'd save a couple of hundred bucks, too. Total maybe $700 for the driver, enclosure, amp, plus the Speakon connector, a couple of cables, screws, and acoustic stuffing. Maybe some paint, if you want it not to be hideous.
And don't forget the drill for starting the cut!:)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja

Not really a jigsaw but a jigsaw would work fine too! A 6 pack would probably be sufficient payment, depending on the friend ;)

B

Bert biscuit

Audiophyte
Id rather pay extra to not do diy.

If I were to buy the fvx15... Do you think I would have buyers remorse about not getting the fv15hp? I guess I'm not sure if 2.5db of output is worth over $400 extra. Is that even a noticeable difference? When I turn up the volume +3db(edit: 2.5db) on my avr it doesn't seem very significant.

Right now my favorites are the 15v and fvx15 since they are the cheapest at $950 & $909 respectively.

I just noticed hsu increased the shipping cost from $109 to $143 on the vtf 15h mk2. I'm still considering it though, it would be neat to own a flagship product.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Id rather pay extra to not do diy.

If I were to buy the fvx15... Do you think I would have buyers remorse about not getting the fv15hp? I guess I'm not sure if 2.5db of output is worth over $400 extra. Is that even a noticeable difference? When I turn up the volume +3db on my avr it doesn't seem very significant.

Right now my favorites are the 15v and fvx15 since they are the cheapest at $950 & $909 respectively.

I just noticed hsu increased the shipping cost from $109 to $143 on the vtf 15h mk2. I'm still considering it though, it would be neat to own a flagship product.
Nope, from what I understand 3 db's is the minimum increase to notice a difference.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I guess I'm not sure if 2.5db of output is worth over $400 extra. Is that even a noticeable difference?
Not really an easy way to answer that since value is a subjective thing.

From a technical standpoint, an extra 3dB of output equates to double the amplifier power and ~40% more driver excursion. Knowing this, one can understand why cost will seem to rise disproportionately versus output.

Is it noticeable? From the perspective of your ears, 3dB is commonly held as a barely perceptible change, though there are some caveats. As you just start to exceed the threshold of audibility for lower frequencies, small increases in output can have a much larger difference in perceived loudness. Beyond what we hear, when discussing subwoofers, there's also the matter of what we feel. As mentioned, 3dB corresponds with a ~40% rise in driver excursion, and correspondingly a ~40% increase in actual sound pressure as measured in a linear unit like Pascals. Overall, I wouldn't qualify it as a HEEEEEUUUGEEEE difference, but it's not like dumping your money in power cords either.

One final point: if you're on the edge, I'd tend to lean with the more powerful product, as one tends to get worse results running a lesser product at its ragged edge versus a more capable unit that has some power to spare.

D

dozerhead

Enthusiast
I can tell you that I've had a VTF-3 MK4 and VTF 15H MK 2 and I now own a PSA V1500. In my room the V1500 is louder and I have more tactile response than either of the HSU's. I had more control with the HSU because of the variable tuning, but in my room the overall output and clean bass is better with the PSA. Just my experience. And on a side note I've also owned an SVS PC12 NSD and PB10 and 12 NSD.
I own the svs pc12 nsd and am looking to upgrade. How much of a difference is there between the svs and the PSA v1500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis