PS4 games, discussion, observations, comments, etc...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
IMO: If there are console ports of PC games, the PC version is better 100% of the time. When it comes to shooters, a keyboard and mouse is so much better than a controller/gamepad.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Got my first look at the PS4 tonight, they were playing COD Ghosts ... looks pretty much like the previous versions on the older consoles.
I did like that you get to play as Riley though! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Get the ps4... $100 less expensive, better GPU, and it will eventually have the better library of exclusive games as the PS3 and PS2 did before it. Not to mention the whole "Kinect watches you to decide how to advertise to you" bit which is a bit.. wierd.

As far as last gen goes, the Xbox360 got off to a year head-start and had less complicated hardware for developers compared to PS3 - and had a few hit games like Halo and Gears of War, but the gaming community noticed how people stopped playing their 360s the last few years beyond the Call of Duty fanatics, whereas people are still buying PS3s and filling out their collections. By the end of the gen, there were a lot of 360s collecting dust, including my cousin's, which he basically hasn't even touched since he beat Bayonetta and Tales of Vesperia, which I had to buy for him (but really, for myself >_>;).

As far as online goes, Microsoft's biggest edge was their paid servers vs Sony's free servers. Now Sony has gone with paid servers so it'll be similar, and I would expect PS to have bigger communities of serious gamers with less obnoxious 12-year olds.

Personally, I'm 100% sold on getting PS4 over Xbox One BUT I am no rush to buy a PS4 until I'm truly done with PS3 - still have to buy and play The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, The Witch and Hundred Knights, Tales of Symphonia HD, and a few others besides my backlog of owned. The biggest next gen titles - Metal Gear Solid 5 and Watchdogs, are also cross-gen games that we'll be able to play on our PS3s :)

As far as hardware goes, the PS4 is basically equivalent to my laptop which is kinda crappy, but I stopped caring about graphics after Uncharted 2 blew me away. One thing I do like about the PS4 is the new Dual Shock 4 - it was pretty nice when I played it at the store.
3 words is all it takes to argue for Xbox One: GEARS OF WAR!

I love the multiplayer GOW. In particular, GOW1 and GOW3. GOW3 did almost everything right, an in-your face, hand you your arse type game!

I have both PS3 and Xbox, and my PS3 is the one that collects dust (except for playing blurays). My Xbox gets quite a bit of play, but now it is indeed usually COD.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got my first look at the PS4 tonight, they were playing COD Ghosts ... looks pretty much like the previous versions on the older consoles.
I did like that you get to play as Riley though! :)
That's because it was built on the same engine as the old one. When I saw it, it looked exactly like the previous ones, but the reviews said this one was pretty good. I haven't picked it up yet; added it to wishlist for Xmas ;) My son has been playing Assassin's Creed 4 on a friend's PS4 (same thing, PS3 based) and he said its pretty fun.

The problem is that when they made the PS3, they had been developing the Cell CPU architecture for it as its core hardware aspect.
Going back to this, I don't think that's true, since all of the current cross-buy games are PS3 based, so clearly they either CAN port a game from PS3 to PS4 or they had to develop code for both in parallel, based on the same (PS3) graphics; which is why those cross-buy games look the same as the PS3.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's because it was built on the same engine as the old one. When I saw it, it looked exactly like the previous ones, but the reviews said this one was pretty good. I haven't picked it up yet; added it to wishlist for Xmas ;) My son has been playing Assassin's Creed 4 on a friend's PS4 (same thing, PS3 based) and he said its pretty fun.

Going back to this, I don't think that's true, since all of the current cross-buy games are PS3 based, so clearly they either CAN port a game from PS3 to PS4 or they had to develop code for both in parallel, based on the same (PS3) graphics.
I played Ghosts on XBox 360 for about a week. Then, I sold it and went back to BLOPS2.

For online play, I think BLOPS2 is overall a superior game. I never play FPS games for the story mode though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't been too impressed with COD in the last few releases, which is another reason why I didn't pick up Ghosts. Story/Campaign isn't the real draw for these games :) but I grew tired of multiplayer. Haven't even tried BLOPS 2.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Upgrading the hard drive...almost every step lined out by various sites does not work. Or it just doesn't like my USB drive. I've reformatted it three times, but whenever I pop it in, the PS4 disconnects the controller so I can't do anything and the system freezes.

*edit - it was the drive. Tried a different one and it is going now.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
3 words is all it takes to argue for Xbox One: GEARS OF WAR!

I love the multiplayer GOW. In particular, GOW1 and GOW3. GOW3 did almost everything right, an in-your face, hand you your arse type game!

I have both PS3 and Xbox, and my PS3 is the one that collects dust (except for playing blurays). My Xbox gets quite a bit of play, but now it is indeed usually COD.
Gears of War is not a microsoft title - they published it but don't own it. THere's been rumors it will be multiplatform this time around.

Either way though, most xbox exclusives worth buying came out pre-2009. After 2009 PS3 exclusives really started to take off. I feel that last gen, gaming culture became too much about online and so many single player and offline multiplayer games got ignored by the masses.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Going back to this, I don't think that's true, since all of the current cross-buy games are PS3 based, so clearly they either CAN port a game from PS3 to PS4 or they had to develop code for both in parallel, based on the same (PS3) graphics; which is why those cross-buy games look the same as the PS3.
Most multiplat games were Xbox360 based or PC-based; Bayonetta, Zone of the Enders HD, FEAR, Orange Box, Lost Planet, Oblivion Skyrim, all ran smoother on Xbox360. Call of Duty ran fine on PS3, but it's always been a PC-to-console port.

As far as porting goes, it's easy to port FROM PS3 to PS4, XboxOne, PC. You basically take the optimized code and simplify it for raw power architecture. Taking raw power code and tossing it on a PS3? You end up with inferior graphics and frame-dips unless you optimize it.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
View attachment 12679As an owner of both systems out of the gate I tip my hat to the Xbox One First:

Why?

I picked up the PS4 at Launch time with Killzone: Shadowfall. To me, it just seemed like more of the same. Granted better graphics, better UI, nice form factor, but nothing really stood out. I did download that free shadows type game that was free and pretty unique.

Xbox One:
- It was just as easy to set up as the PS4
- Kinect Integration was pretty straight forward and easy to set up
- I love the voice commands, some might see it as a novelty, but it is really useful and fun when used in games
- Also works great for other features like netflix etc.
- Note that the HDMI is not ready for HT yet, as it only passes through two channel sound with surround in beta.
- One may argue that the PS4 is more game machine, and I would find it hard to argue from a specs perspective, but right now I am having more fun with the XB1 games and havent touched my PS4 since I picked it up

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One may argue that the PS4 is more game machine, and I would find it hard to argue from a specs perspective, but right now I am having more fun with the XB1 games and havent touched my PS4 since I picked it up
Download Resogun. Very fun. PS4 has voice command control also, as I already mentioned.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Gears of War is not a microsoft title - they published it but don't own it. THere's been rumors it will be multiplatform this time around.

I feel that last gen, gaming culture became too much about online and so many single player and offline multiplayer games got ignored by the masses.
I hadn't heard the rumors of GOW being cross-platform.

Yeah, I feel that the huge growth of online has saved the console games. In all honesty, I had grown completely tired of gaming by the end of the PS2. Just bored with it. Then, with XBOX 360 and the seamless online play (and GOW1), I got caught back up in it again.

Soooo.....on a side note: I finished up some XBOX 360 controller mods this weekend. I installed "hair-triggers" that take out about 75% of the slack on the triggers. I also clipped out the little arm that makes contact on the R3 button (right joystick push-button). I then took an R3 button from a worn-out controller, soldered on some extension wires, mounted it on the back of the controller, and wired it to the board.

This effectively makes it impossible for me to accidentally knife/melee on COD and moves the button for that action around back where my right-hand middle finger controls it. Took a couple hours to do all that. Any (fair) advantage I can get!:cool:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I feel that the huge growth of online has saved the console games. In all honesty, I had grown completely tired of gaming by the end of the PS2. Just bored with it. Then, with XBOX 360 and the seamless online play (and GOW1), I got caught back up in it again.
The PS2 had a massive library, so I can't begin to imagine which bored you. What I do know is that my all-time favorite game came out near the end of the PS2's life and it was really a game with a LOT of substance and depth that made me redefine what gaming was.

OTOH to me online tends to be the gaming equivalent of a Transformers movie or a Top 40 radio station... I just feel like I could be doing something better with my time. ... overall they feel like cash-grab timesinks rather than a form of art that "needs to be experienced".

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PS2 had a massive library, so I can't begin to imagine which bored you. What I do know is that my all-time favorite game came out near the end of the PS2's life and it was really a game with a LOT of substance and depth that made me redefine what gaming was.
What game was that?

OTOH to me online tends to be the gaming equivalent of a Transformers movie or a Top 40 radio station... I just feel like I could be doing something better with my time. ... overall they feel like cash-grab timesinks rather than a form of art that "needs to be experienced".
Which is exactly why I don't usually bother with it anymore. When the game basically becomes a platform for releasing new MP features and maps and has very little going itself, there's no real reason to buy the game anymore.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis