PS4 games, discussion, observations, comments, etc...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Figured I'd start a general thread here for it. Guessing not a lot of people have them yet, but some likely will by the end of the year.

The DS4 controller: It rocks. SOOOO much better than the DS3. I like what they've done with it and actually was caught off guard by the speaker the first time sound came out of it. Kind of interesting how the games I've been playing so far have incorporated it, though still semi-gimmicky. Killzone uses it for reading "audiologs" that you find throughout the game - the problem is, some are long and you've already moved on to doing something and it is still playing and actually can get distracting when you're trying to hear what else is going on. Flower uses it for the sound of the wind sort of like a "presence" speaker while the music is playing on the rest of the speakers, which is kind of cool. Rezogun uses it for game notifications (power up!), which I liked, but even though you can control the volume via the game, it is still pretty loud and the volume didn't adjust with the rest of the system. The only thing I don't like about the DS4 is the LED light. That light is intended to be used with the camera sort of like Move, but you can't turn it off or down so far. That means, while watching a movie or playing a dark game, it stays lit up and it is pretty bright. Killzone used it to nice effect though - the color of the LED indicates your health and it changes as you take damage, instead of displaying it on the screen. The big empty spot in the center is what I thought it was going to be, a touch pad. So far Killzone is the only game I have that's using it; you swipe to change options. I do also like that they now give you the option to be able to keep the USB ports powered while the unit is in stand-by so you can charge controllers.

I kind of doubted the reviews, but so far, the best game is Resogun! It is a sort of side scrolling shooter, except instead of just scrolling, you actually fly in a fixed cylindrical path that is the level. Pretty cool take on the genre, and I have to say, very fun. Best part - free for Prime members :)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/13/resogun-review

Killzone Shadow Fall
- looks great, has excellent sound, and though some new mechanics and tweaks were added, it still feels like Killzone. I don't mean that in a good way either. It is better than the last entry, but still hasn't impressed me with anything besides incredible visuals. Like most multiplayer intended games, the solo campaign feels like it was an afterthought, with a thin story and a standard feel. IGN said it was the only one of the launch titles that was actually developed from scratch for the PS4 though, unlike all of the others that are basically on their former PS3 engines (and it shows).

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I'm gonna give it a while to decide if I want PS4 or Xbox One. I suspect I will most likely go with Xbox because they will most likely have the better online play.

Pure conjecture from the last generation though on my part. I preferred PS2 to Xbox, but prefer Xbox 360 to PS3, so I think it's still anybodies guess.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am going to wager that they will be very close this time around for online play. Lots of people are waiting for the XB One to come out to decide as well. So far the issue for the PS4 is the same as when the PS3 came out: no "killer app" must have, "I am going to buy one just for that" games.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't played a large majority of my ps3, 360, or even ps2 games, so I'm definitely not in any rush to buy either console. I will probably end up buying both somewhere down the road though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Some other funky things I noticed in the options: voice recognition control of the PS4 (XB One)? Facial recognition for signing on? Sort of gimmicky IMO.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I had heard about that. It apparently was what happened to some guy who won a contest to be one of the first to get one a day before. He got it and it was non-functional like that so not only did he not get to use it early, he was going to get his replacement after everyone else. So less than half of 1% of units delivered *so far*, but that doesn't mean more won't have it over time.

The fact that you can't play CDs on the PS4 initially is a bit odd too (disabled), not that I used my PS3 for CDs.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
WE have 4 ps3's in the house, and they all still work, soooooo.... I asked my sons if that was on their xmass list and they both said no, and my youngest plays a lot {more than I like, that is for sure}... Until all of their friends get it, Im sure it wont be a priority..

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If they would release a ps4 that played ps3 and ps2 games I'd be all over it

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
If they would release a ps4 that played ps3 and ps2 games I'd be all over it
Same here. A friend of mine bought two with the intention of selling one off. He offered me the second one at whatever he bought it for and I turned it down. For now the PS3 is good by me, but there two things that are keeping me from going to the PS4 right away. One is that it cant play PS3 games, meaning I would still probably have both units around for a while. Two is that GT6 is coming out on PS3, and COD Ghost is on both. That is really the big one, there is no game that is exclusive to the PS4 that is pushing me to want to buy it right away.

MY guess is that I will end up with a PS4 around this time next year at the soonest.

Sean

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They didn't make this one backwards compatible for the same reason they removed it from the PS3, because once you start playing dedicated games for the new console, you won't want to play the old ones. Granted, going from the PS2 to the PS3 was a pretty big leap compared to PS3 -> PS4. Once enough games are out for the PS4 though, studios will stop making PS3 games, but Sony doesn't want to hurt existing PS3 sales and no doubt within a few months retailers will start clearing them out. Right now most of the black Friday deals seem to be for PS3 not the PS4.

I still have both systems connected because I am still playing some games on the PS3. I mainly picked it up right away because one of my PS3s was stolen and it didn't make sense for me to buy another PS3 at this point :(

COD is a PS3 game that was ported to the PS4 AFAIK, so it won't look much different on the PS4.

Here's your killer app once it comes out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
because once you start playing dedicated games for the new console, you won't want to play the old ones
I could not disagree with this more :/

I still enjoy playing mario kart 64, super smash brothers melee, or final fantasy 8, and I also enjoy modern games like god of war or whatever. I like old games just as much as I like new ones (if not more). When it comes to JRPGs, the ps2 probably has the best library of any console.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I gave both of my PS2s away, one to each of the kids, along with all the games. Yes there are some great games on the older consoles, but I typically only go back and play the BEST old games on the old consoles. They've been adding a lot of the old PS2 JRPG games via digital on the PS3, but not all of them. I don't play too many JRPGs though. I thought backwards compatibility was going to be a big deal with the PS3, but I rarely found myself playing PS2 games on it, which is why I don't see it as an issue on the PS4. I still have one original 60G PS3 that has the backwards compatibility with the PS2 :) but even then, not ALL games are compatible.

I know the BIG reason why they didn't make the old games compatible: games now have licenses. So it has to verify the license before you can play and the old games don't have that. So presumably, like the PS3, they will release re-vamped versions of the top PS3 games for the PS4 via digital delivery, with the new licensing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1.51 FW out. All it said was "improve application stability".

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Personally, I'm gonna give it a while to decide if I want PS4 or Xbox One. I suspect I will most likely go with Xbox because they will most likely have the better online play.

Pure conjecture from the last generation though on my part. I preferred PS2 to Xbox, but prefer Xbox 360 to PS3, so I think it's still anybodies guess.
Get the ps4... $100 less expensive, better GPU, and it will eventually have the better library of exclusive games as the PS3 and PS2 did before it. Not to mention the whole "Kinect watches you to decide how to advertise to you" bit which is a bit.. wierd.

As far as last gen goes, the Xbox360 got off to a year head-start and had less complicated hardware for developers compared to PS3 - and had a few hit games like Halo and Gears of War, but the gaming community noticed how people stopped playing their 360s the last few years beyond the Call of Duty fanatics, whereas people are still buying PS3s and filling out their collections. By the end of the gen, there were a lot of 360s collecting dust, including my cousin's, which he basically hasn't even touched since he beat Bayonetta and Tales of Vesperia, which I had to buy for him (but really, for myself >_>;).

As far as online goes, Microsoft's biggest edge was their paid servers vs Sony's free servers. Now Sony has gone with paid servers so it'll be similar, and I would expect PS to have bigger communities of serious gamers with less obnoxious 12-year olds.

Personally, I'm 100% sold on getting PS4 over Xbox One BUT I am no rush to buy a PS4 until I'm truly done with PS3 - still have to buy and play The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, The Witch and Hundred Knights, Tales of Symphonia HD, and a few others besides my backlog of owned. The biggest next gen titles - Metal Gear Solid 5 and Watchdogs, are also cross-gen games that we'll be able to play on our PS3s :)

As far as hardware goes, the PS4 is basically equivalent to my laptop which is kinda crappy, but I stopped caring about graphics after Uncharted 2 blew me away. One thing I do like about the PS4 is the new Dual Shock 4 - it was pretty nice when I played it at the store.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PS3 hardware is still very good, which is why I still have both hooked up. I am still enjoying a few of my PS3 games.

Uncharted 3 was even an improvement over 2 visually, but 1 was still the most fun to play IMHO.

Last of Us - excellent story, solid gameplay, but IMO, Beyond 2 Souls is a better game, so it should be on your list :D There's some significant DLC coming for Last of Us also.

Only one small detail about the DS4 controller - the dual vibration motors kills the batteries a LOT faster than the DS3, so it might be worth turning vibration off for some games.

Another nice detail of the PS4: In the options you can choose to keep the USB ports powered when the unit is in standby so you can charge the controllers.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
They didn't make this one backwards compatible for the same reason they removed it from the PS3, because once you start playing dedicated games for the new console, you won't want to play the old ones.
I know the BIG reason why they didn't make the old games compatible: games now have licenses. So it has to verify the license before you can play and the old games don't have that. So presumably, like the PS3, they will release re-vamped versions of the top PS3 games for the PS4 via digital delivery, with the new licensing.
That's not it at all. In an ideal world, sony would want the PS4 to be completely backwards compatible. The problem is that when they made the PS3, they had been developing the Cell CPU architecture for it as its core hardware aspect. But the cell is not a direct extension of the emotion engine hardware used in the PS2 - so the original backwards compatible PS3s had built-in PS2s to be backwards compatible. This was dropped as a cost-cutting move. They've finally gotten an emulator working on the Cell which can run PS2 software stably, but it took them years to develop it as emulation is very CPU-intensive and otherwise troublesome. It was only possible because of just how powerful the Cell CPU really is. The problem with the Cell however is that it was just too different.. too unfamiliar and complex for game developers. We saw this time and time again with PS3 versions having inferior ports with framerate issues etc - and ultimately longer lead times. This time around Sony went with an X86 architecture similar to what you'd find in a PC - something which will allow for much quicker and less problematic game development. But its processor does not have any hope of emulating a Cell's instruction set or convoluted operation - it'll be a pipe dream even for cutting edge PC CPUs for at least another decade if not more. Again, PS4 would have to include a full set of PS3 hardware to run PS3 games - which is not a cost-effective move for Sony considering they can just keep selling PS3s for a while.

As for COD, it's always been a PC series downported to console. So it will actually look better on PS4 as it uses a different set of textures, shaders and a much higher internal resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Anyways as far as PS4 games go, I'm waiting for:

Rime
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian

Which all seem pretty far away.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I realize we had the emotion engine in the original PS3s, which is why I kept one :) And that they switched architecture to x86, but hadn't thought about the fact that the games are actually not compatible. They ARE pushing the new digital rights thing also though, as is Microsoft with the XB One.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis