PS3 Gets Blu-ray Profile 1.1 Firmware Update

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
There is some big news on the forefront of the format war today. Sony's Playstation 3 now supports the long awaited Blu-ray Profile 1.1, which includes support for Picture-in-Picture viewing as well as secondary streams of audio and video for narrative/interactive features. In addition, the firmware 2.10 update also supports DivX and VC-1(WMV). The Profile 1.1 does not include support for streaming new Internet content however the PIP features are something in which Blu-ray had seriously lagged behind HD DVD for some time now. Blu-ray is finally nearing completion and it only remains to be seen how upset consumers will be who adopted the format earlier and won't be able to take advantage of newer discs which utilize this feature.

Discuss "PS3 Gets Blu-ray Profile 1.1 Firmware Update" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
it also added type 3 bitmapping for audio, can anyone explain what this is, and how I can benefit from it?

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Not so much sure on 'type 3', other than it is Sony's way of saying 'we are glad to color audio'.

Taken from another site (thanks ZeroTM)
Gives an idea of what type 3 is, by explaining type 1 and 2.

Off: Disable bitmapping.
Type 1: Set to use a technique called “dithering” to reduce noise or distortion produced during audio output.
Type 2: Set to use a technique called “noise shaping” to reduce noise in the audible range.

* When playing audio CDs, [Type 1] and [Type 2] options are effective only when audio is being output at a frequency of 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz. Set [Audio CD Output Frequency] to [44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz].

You guys would need Super Audio CDs to really hear the difference.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Do you think it would make an audible difference when listening to a PCM or TrueHD track on a Blu Ray?

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Well I tried it in type 1 setting and type 3 setting earlier on Chicken Little, and no, I did not notice any difference.
I had played an audio cd, but forget to switch the setting, (I was just quick sampling a 'Dance/Trance' CD) will try with REAL music later.;)

Please note; I have nothing against Trance, I just find many other forms of music much more enjoying (when sitting listening to audio).
That particular CD (Armin Van Buuren), I was just ripping to the PS3 harddrive for later playing..

bigbangtheory

Audioholic
I wonder what the true percentage is of PS3 owners who also use their rig for HD dvd viewing (BD)? I would be willing to bet less than - no, much less than, 50%. But then again, I am from Texas and barely literate.

The format war really just makes me that much more vigililant in my search for a cheap, used Oppo or Denon 2900 universal player.:(

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I wonder what the true percentage is of PS3 owners who also use their rig for HD dvd viewing (BD)? (
I saw a link to one of the analyst groups research (don't remember which ATM) that said 60% of PS3 owners didn't know that the PS3 was a high-def movie player. I find that a little hard to believe, but their point was the marketing department at Sony could do a better job promoting the PS3 as both a game machine and one of the cheapest/best Blu-ray players available.

I have seen a *lot* more PS3 ads lately...

D

D.R. Payne

Audioholic
I saw a link to one of the analyst groups research (don't remember which ATM) that said 60% of PS3 owners didn't know that the PS3 was a high-def movie player. I find that a little hard to believe, but their point was the marketing department at Sony could do a better job promoting the PS3 as both a game machine and one of the cheapest/best Blu-ray players available.

I have seen a *lot* more PS3 ads lately...
I find it hard to believe too, someone must be buying all those blu-ray discs...
I personally use mine for BD viewing more than game playing right now.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I find it hard to believe too, someone must be buying all those blu-ray discs...
same here... I've got my first PS3 game on the way from Gamefly.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I third that since we watch way more movies than I play games. The Wii is usually what we game on....and get sore on. That's so sad.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
My use for the PS3 is probably 90% BRD, and 10% gaming. This may change when Gran Turismo 5 comes out, however!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis