Promote Sony, angers Bose fanboy

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
The problem is ...

Bose has been marketing for a long, long time and some of the older folks ( like me :D ) were convinced that Bose was a great, great brand and 37-38 years ago .... Some of these ole f*rt baby boomers have some bucks to buy new upgraded equipment.

I am not sure I want to tell you how much I bit hook, bait, and sinker on Bose but I did!
However, I know know that I was wrong, wrong, wrong!

So how do you convince a person that Bose is not the best, the exact same way you do a a business decision process.

First and probably best you don't disagree with them, you will get the not invented here syndrome and they hear only the neagative, get PO'd an walk out (as you saw).

Second, if possible and sometimes Bose trickily prevents this, is aution the good speakers( i.e any other speaker) next to the Bose. Let the potential buyer come to the conclusion. Wow speaker xx sounds so much better than Bose. If the customer comes up with the idea on their own they will acceptit ( I know i did).

Third, as in a business model, do positve, objective comparisons, don't disparage.

For example instead of saying the "Nine (9) 41/2" (11.4 cm) full-range Helical
Voice Coil drivers in each cabinet" is bad, say normally midrange is form 6 1/5" speakers and for bass a 8-10" speaker is needed. It is just physically easier to develop sound and to derive deep bass from two 6 1/2 inch and two 8-10" speakers instead of nine 4 /12" speakers.

Or compare "new space age paper" is still paper and is not as stable or will last as long as xxxxx, where xxxxx is whatever material is better.

Oh yes, I bought Series 1 or II, 901s in 1970 or 1971. As yes, in 37-38 years speaker quality has improved, some companies through technology and others through marketing!

Please forgive me, I have learned, Bose is not good ! I still like Marantz though :D and my 1060 still works!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Bose has been marketing for a long, long time and some of the older folks ( like me :D ) were convinced that Bose was a great, great brand and 37-38 years ago .... Some of these ole f*rt baby boomers have some bucks to buy new upgraded equipment.

I am not sure I want to tell you how much I bit hook, bait, and sinker on Bose but I did!
However, I know know that I was wrong, wrong, wrong!

So how do you convince a person that Bose is not the best, the exact same way you do a a business decision process.

First and probably best you don't disagree with them, you will get the not invented here syndrome and they hear only the negative, get PO'd an walk out (as you saw).

Second, if possible and sometimes Bose trickily prevents this, is audition the good speakers( i.e any other speaker) next to the Bose. Let the potential buyer come to the conclusion. Wow speaker xx sounds so much better than Bose. If the customer comes up with the idea on their own they will accept it ( I know i did).

Third, as in a business model, do positive, objective comparisons, don't disparage.

For example instead of saying the "Nine (9) 41/2" (11.4 cm) full-range Helical
Voice Coil drivers in each cabinet" is bad, say normally midrange is form 6 1/5" speakers and for bass a 8-10" speaker is needed. It is just physically easier to develop sound and to derive deep bass from two 6 1/2 inch and two 8-10" speakers instead of nine 4 /12" speakers.

Or compare "new space age paper" is still paper and is not as stable or will last as long as xxxxx, where xxxxx is whatever material is better.

Oh yes, I bought Series 1 or II, 901s in 1970 or 1971. As yes, in 37-38 years speaker quality has improved, some companies through technology and others through marketing!

Please forgive me, I have learned, Bose is not good ! I still like Marantz though :D and my 1060 still works!
Unfortunately I don't have Bose in my store, or anything good to compare it too. I wasn't telling the customer that Bose was crap either, I was simply informing him the Sony model I had pointed out was a direct competitor, and it is a direct competitor. The system came out with an MSRP of $1,200, but it's been out for about a year now and we have only three left (we marked them way down to try to get rid of them). The thing that kills me is that it is more up to date than Bose, it looks nicer than Bose, it sounds better than Bose, and it has more connectivity than a Bose. I didn't get a chance to go in to the details with the customer because he just thought I was some young punk that doesn't know crap from diamonds when it comes to audio (apparently he's an authority on the subject). That Dream system has 3 digital inputs (one if which is interchangeable between optical and coaxial), three analog audio inputs with video inputs as well. Unfortunately they used a proprietary connection for the speakers and subwoofer, but it's supposed to be like Bose in the simplicity factor (this think is impossible to hook up incorrectly because of the adapters it uses, and they are very easy to install). The system doesn't sound bad for $350 and looks pretty good doing all it does.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis