Promedia repair vs new receiver + powered sub

D

daniel42

Audiophyte
My Klipsch Promedia 5.1 amp died for a HTIB with 5x60w satellites and 1 170w 2x8" unpowered sub.

I can find a repair/replacement online for 300$, but I'm wondering if I should put the money towards a modern system instead with a receiver + powered sub. The speakers are said to be very high efficiency and quality from klipsch, but I don't really know how to tell. Speakers are all 6 ohm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I live in an apartment so I don't need insane power, but would like clarity and fidelity.

Receiver

It seems like any receiver should be able to drive the sats, maybe even a $150 Sony STRDH550 - but I'm quite suspect of both Sony and receivers at that price point.

Sub
I was looking at something in the 200$ price range, maybe a klipsch or polk. I've read great things about the 500$ SVSs, though I doubt my neighbors would really appreciate the earthquake simulation.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've owned a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 and as I remember there used to be a cottage industry repairing them and upgrading them to be a lot more reliable. I thought they were pretty darned good gaming speakers in their day but the high crossover between the sub and satellites made the transition between sub and speakers pretty obvious. Anyway, going with a receiver and powered sub won't be a problem other than the space required for the new receiver. What are you using them for? Computer gaming? TV surround sound? Music? It's going to matter for the sub.

D

daniel42

Audiophyte
Thanks for the response! Looks like replacement is probably the better path forward.

General purpose - movies, music, and sometimes gaming.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the response! Looks like replacement is probably the better path forward.

General purpose - movies, music, and sometimes gaming.
Let me be more specific, are you using the Promedias as computer speakers, small to average room sized bedroom TV speakers, or in your living room as speakers for your TV? The reason that I'm asking is Promedia's have been used in all three scenarios over the years, but each offers different options for growth. For example, for computer speakers you may want to consider going with a pair of powered near-field studio monitor speakers ($150-250/pr), a subwoofer, and an external 5.1 USB DAC or the built-in soundcard to tie them all together. At up close distances near-field monitors are nice bang for the buck. This solution does not require a receiver. If you go this route I'd start out as 2.1 using good quality monitors and grow it over time as money allows. Or, just stick with your plan to drive the Promedias and tie in a new sub with an inexpensive receiver. It's all personal taste.

On the other hand if it's for a living room TV I'd buy a nice starter receiver like a Denon AVR-S530 or better yet an AVR-X1400 and a new subwoofer. Later, when money allows, you can replace the front three sats with more full range bookshelf speakers and a center and use your satellites for surrounds.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sub
I was looking at something in the 200$ price range, maybe a klipsch or polk. I've read great things about the 500$ SVSs, though I doubt my neighbors would really appreciate the earthquake simulation.
Powered sub and the word on it is really good -- Emotiva BasX S8
https://emotiva.com/products/basx-s8

https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audio-Subwoofer-BasX-Sub8/dp/B0725D13VC

Speakers -- Sony Core bookshelf
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-Driver-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00O8YLMVA

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'd try to repair it myself. Soldering aint that hard:
I agree! These really were a remarkably good set of computer speakers in their day. In the early 2000s the entry level Promedia 2.1 suffered from a boomy somewhat muddy sounding 6.5" bass unit - but not the 5.1 or 5.1 Ultra. The 5.1's dual 8" bass unit was pretty clean for what the whole set cost. I just couldn't find a good set of repair instructions. If memory serves, with the 5.1's bass unit it was usually a bad cap or resistor.

FWIW I never had the heart to throw mine away when I upgraded and still have it somewhere.

Last edited:
D

daniel42

Audiophyte
Let me be more specific, are you using the Promedias as computer speakers, small to average room sized bedroom TV speakers, or in your living room as speakers for your TV?
Livingroom. Thanks! How does the Sony STR-DH550 compare to those Denons? Since this is a HTPC bluetooth isn't really a big deal, but I can't seem to figure out how they compare.

Denon is forthcoming:
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)70W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)90W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)140W​

While I had to dig into the Sony manual for:
Minimum RMS Output Power1) (6 ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, THD 0.09%) 90 W + 90 W
Stereo Mode Output Power1) (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1%) 105 W + 105 W
Surround Mode Output Power1)2) (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.9%) 145 W per channel

1) Measured under the following conditions: Power requirements: 230 V AC, 50 Hz
2)Reference power output for front, center and surround speakers. Depending on the sound field settings and the source, there may be no sound output.​

I don't understand. Not to mention I suspect specs don't tell the full story?

I'd try to repair it myself. Soldering aint that hard:
Yes, I already did it once. The 90 degree layout of the circuit boards makes it annoying, I'd have to diagnose the particular issue by digging around with a voltmeter, and install a fan kit since these run hot and kill themselves, and source small quantities of appropriate components :| And the control pod is also glitching.

I'm thinking it may just be time to invest.

Would the Klipsch 2x8" sub beat the monoprice one? Wirecutter seemed to be a fan.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=9723&seq=1&format=2
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-subwoofer/

With those two options I get out for cheaper than the repair, but I'm open to spending a bit more to start building a better system and want to make sure it isn't a downgrade.

D

daniel42

Audiophyte
Update: Found this spec at crutchfield for the sony:
  • 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
Assuming I can convert into 8 ohms, that should be around 67 watts/channel vs Denon's 70 with slightly worse THD

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've just never cared for Sony receivers, but then again nobody's entry level receiver is the beall and endall of functionality and performance. Before throwing down the plastic I'd take a few days and decide if you have future upgrade plans for your home theater system. If not, then pretty much any decent 70w 5.1 receiver is going to have plenty of power to drive your satellites and then it just comes down to features. Klipsch speakers just do not require a lot of power.

If, on the other hand, you plan to grow your system, perhaps upgrade your front three speakers down the road, then I'd buy once and cry once rather than replacing bits over and over. If this is the plan then I'd save up and step up to a really good 7.1 channel AVR like a Denon AVR-X1400, which since they are about to become last year's model are starting to be discounted significantly. A refurb is another good option. I'd also invest in a subwoofer sized to the room rather than one sized for up close to a computer desk.

D

daniel42

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help Sholling.

Since HDMI 2.1 just came out, I'm getting the budget receiver for now. I really want that 4k 120hz passthrough!

D

Digikiwi

Audiophyte
Old thread, but relevant for me. Does anyone know if the sub woofers on the Klipsch Promedia are also rated at 6 ohm? And are the two woofers wired in parallel or in series. I'm trying to figure out what kind of power I need from a mono amp to make this an active speaker to bring it back to life. Assuming the post at the top is correct and the woofers rate at 170W (at 6 Ohm?) what power does the amp need to deliver?

I've already used 2 of the tweeters from the old 5.1 system with an old Logitech Z2300 sub, driven by a cheap and small Fosi amp I got off AliExress. Obviously we're not talking hi-fi here, but I'm delighted with the result. So now to the above project, which will involve a similar small amp for 2 passive tweeters and line out to the mono preamp to hook up to the Klipsch Promedia Subwoofers.

Any advice greatly appreciated - I'm on a steep learning curve with this stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis