Projector in small room

G

Gersain

Audiophyte
We have been thinking about having a projector installed in a small room. The distance to the projection surface is around 8 feet. Is that a good idea? Any suggestions about this matter?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
At that distance you will need to look at projectors that can deal with shorter throws but not really short throws. You just have to find the right balance of cost, features, and image image quality that work for you within your limitations. Sorry, I can't recommend specific brands here.

G

Gersain

Audiophyte
I’ve been looking at the Epson Home Cinema 1060. I think the throw ratio is a good one taking the distance constraint into consideration.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Generally speaking, for shorter throw, I would recommend the BenQ HT2150ST.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2150ST.htm

You can get about a 100" diagonal from 6' lens to screen. This may require the projector to be slightly forward from the back of the room, but it gives you about any size you can hope for within the confines of the space you have available.

There are not any 4K capable short throw projectors on the market for any reasonable price at this time, so it must be a 1080p projector.

I have heard that BenQ will be releasing a new 4K DLP entry level model which has the same throw distance as their older HT2050 projector that can deliver a 92" diagonal from about 8' lens to screen. This will be very welcome in the industry as it will be the shortest reasonably priced 4K projector on the market to date. It won't be available for a couple of months yet I expect. It will likely be close to $2,000, but could be around $1,500 or so. For a lot of people with BenQ's older projectors, they will jump on this model as an upgrade.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The HC1060 will produce a very bright image from that throw distance but it does work nicely for a 100" diagonal with 8' lens to screen. It certainly fits into the 'shorter throw' category. The BenQ HT2150ST will produce a better image, especially with black levels.

S

snyderkv

Enthusiast
LG ultra short throw has a decent laser projector now and is super minimalist. Throw it on a white wall. Perfect for a bedroom.

S

snyderkv

Enthusiast
I watch 100" projector from 8 feet and now a Samsung 82" still huge and much better image than any projector at 100" or less.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis