Problems With Liberal Democracy

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Smart-ass...:p

Anyway, the Russians say they'll be taking that back too...
The Russians have been regretting that sale bitterly and then some, over the decades.

And yes, I'm smart and that includes my ass. :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
One of the problems with totalitarian states is that stupid decisions are taken by stupid leaders because the citizenry have no say. One of the problems with liberal democracy is that the citizenry sometimes get a say in taking stupid decisions.

At least they get a chance to express their regrets, even if it doesn't fix anything.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I've never been in Alberta, but one of my sisters lived there for over 30 years.
That's interesting, many of my Canadian friends have yet to explore their country as well ! Get out there and see it, you have a beautiful stretch of landscape !! I've covered every Province with the exception of Newfoundland and Labrador. Why do so many Canadians pick on the folks from Newfoundland ? Some of the nicest people I have ever met !

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
That's interesting, many of my Canadian friends have yet to explore their country as well ! Get out there and see it, you have a beautiful stretch of landscape !! I've covered every Province with the exception of Newfoundland and Labrador. Why do so many Canadians pick on the folks from Newfoundland ? Some of the nicest people I have ever met !
Well, it's an 'effin' big country for one. I've been in seven different provinces; all but Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Remember Polish and Irish jokes? In Canada, it's Newfoundland jokes. I was born and raised there.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, it's an 'effin' big country for one. I've been in seven different provinces; all but Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Remember Polish and Irish jokes? In Canada, it's Newfoundland jokes. I was born and raised there.
This is the extent of my knowledge of Newfoundland jokes.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
OK, I'm derailing my own thread, but if you want some Newfoundland humour, try this video series - The Outhouse

You may need subtitles.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic

Gotta love Newfies

jinjuku

jinjuku

Oh Lord according to all the liberal pundits we are now gonna be headed into an authoritarian dictatorship with this red wave of elections coming up. If Democrats would simply just do their job and stop playing identity politics and everything is revolving around the sun of DEI we wouldn't be in this mess.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
So Republicans are not playing identity politics?
More of a side note: kind of a red herring for them. If they oppose diversity, they're left to explain why not. Because inclusivity is a part of diversity I imagine. Plus the Republicans really don't articulate the essence of capitalism: equal opportunity doesn't equate to equal outcome, because some of us are more talented/driven than others. I can't even remember the last time I heard a Republican mention the word capitalism(!).

jinjuku

jinjuku

So Republicans are not playing identity politics?
Not even at the level of the Democratic Party, not even close. When you have 14 year old girls at a high school in Vermont being suspended for a week because they complained about a male student being allowed to use their locker room we've got a problem.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Oh Lord according to all the liberal pundits we are now gonna be headed into an authoritarian dictatorship with this red wave of elections coming up. If Democrats would simply just do their job and stop playing identity politics and everything is revolving around the sun of DEI we wouldn't be in this mess.
When do Republicans start to simply do their jobs? Do elected Republicans even know what the job they were elected to do is?

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Not even at the level of the Democratic Party, not even close. When you have 14 year old girls at a high school in Vermont being suspended for a week because they complained about a male student being allowed to use their locker room we've got a problem.
You don't have a f**kin clue.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
More of a side note: kind of a red herring for them. If they oppose diversity, they're left to explain why not. Because inclusivity is a part of diversity I imagine. Plus the Republicans really don't articulate the essence of capitalism: equal opportunity doesn't equate to equal outcome, because some of us are more talented/driven than others. I can't even remember the last time I heard a Republican mention the word capitalism(!).
Are you saying that we should have equal outcome? In everything?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Are you saying that we should have equal outcome? In everything?
Where did I say equal outcome? I said equal opportunity. There are other difficulties though. If you let the free market totally run itself would employees automatically employee people the darker their pigment is? Dunno.

highfigh

highfigh

Where did I say equal outcome? I said equal opportunity. There are other difficulties though. If you let the free market totally run itself would employees automatically employee people the darker their pigment is? Dunno.
You wrote " Plus the Republicans really don't articulate the essence of capitalism: equal opportunity doesn't equate to equal outcome, because some of us are more talented/driven than others." and I have heard people say that they think equal outcome is more equitable. Just wanted a clarification.

Did you mean 'employers automatically employ people..."?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
You wrote " Plus the Republicans really don't articulate the essence of capitalism: equal opportunity doesn't equate to equal outcome, because some of us are more talented/driven than others." and I have heard people say that they think equal outcome is more equitable. Just wanted a clarification.

Did you mean 'employers automatically employ people..."?
Maybe they're right. Equal outcome is more equitable.

highfigh

highfigh

Maybe they're right. Equal outcome is more equitable.
WRT "Like equal opportunity in the sense there's a minimum wage for a given pos", that's just fair wages- minimum wage has nothing to do with opportunity, which means "anyone can apply for this job" but people need to understand that some jobs just won't pay well. This is part of the reason I don't like the arguments for illegals being hired- the ones who are in favor say "They do jobs Americans won't". While it's true, I think it's insulting to the illegals and the ones who "don't want to do those jobs" see themselves as more important than they are, think they're worth higher pay or think those jobs are 'beneath them' for whatever reason they choose. Used to be that if someone needed to support themselves and a family, they would do whatever it took. Now, we have fast food workers who can't get a simple order right and they want fifteen bucks/hour. Some skilled trade jobs don't pay much more than that.

I also see a lot of well-dressed panhandlers, too. They don't even bother to pick up the trash they leave on the ground and often, they stand directly next to traffic light poles which have signs with "Keep the change- panhandling is illegal".

If a group is specifically targeted (for or against), it's obviously not equal opportunity.

If you want people to stop trying to do better, sure but merit-based results in achievement and creativity. Sure, a small percentage of people have to work harder/smarter/more creatively as part of their character, but human nature eventually kills that, too.

Equal outcome, as in Communist countries? Yeah, that works great. Ever discuss this with someone who lived under Communism? I have yet to meet one who thought it was a good system or that it worked.

Most people who make a lot of noise about 'fair wages' and 'living wage' are in favor of it until they have to pay someone to do something for them.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis