Problem with Fire Stick 4K DD upmixing/passthrough

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don’t get 5.1? I think the Firestick 4K is still $25 for prime members until the end of the year with the promo code. My 2 other rooms have just 1080p and Firestick 4K and they get 5.1 DD+

I have Starwars movies but not in Atmos so that might be cool but seems to only be in the Apple TV 4K in Atmos. I’m changing out by bipole sides for monopoles this weekend. Then I need to install the 4 ceilings next week for 5.1.4

I didn’t have any Pixar discs except Incredibles so that’s a plus for me.
Good to know about the 4k firestick with your 1080p gets DD+. I've got no Atmos setup yet either. Maybe they'll eventually update my firesticks/apps, but I wouldn't buy an updated fire stick (or cube or tv) just for Disney stuff. Was kinda hoping to binge the Mandalorian before I cut it off but that's not going to happen. I also like Jeff Goldblum's show....all two episodes :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya I’m also not sure what devices do Atmos Amazon HD titles. I’m still researching that. I only have the Den setup that will have Atmos but hoping I don’t need yet another device to try that one. LOL :)

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Tried to connect FS to avr. For that test movie upmixing is not working for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tried to connect FS to avr. For that test movie upmixing is not working for me.
That's weird....you sure it's in an appropriate mode in the avr? The avr upmixes other content via hdmi just fine?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Tidal works fine. 2.0 is converted by avr to 5.1. but for netflix FS creates empty surround channels and i can see that it passes this weird 5.1 to avr. Updated FS firmware. It did not help(((

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tidal works fine. 2.0 is converted by avr to 5.1. but for netflix FS creates empty surround channels and i can see that it passes this weird 5.1 to avr. Updated FS firmware. It did not help(((
So what does the avr indicate it's receiving for the pseudo 5.1, anything unusual?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
So what does the avr indicate it's receiving for the pseudo 5.1, anything unusual?
It says DD+, 5.1. Same thing as if i select a true 5.1 song or movie. Though it is 2.0 in reality. Netflix app in Oppo shows correctly 2.0 in this case. Unfortunately Oppo's Netflix app is not stable these days. Probably because it was not updated for long time due to Oppo's exit from high end market.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It says DD+, 5.1. Same thing as if i select a true 5.1 song or movie. Though it is 2.0 in reality. Netflix app in Oppo shows correctly 2.0 in this case. Unfortunately Oppo's Netflix app is not stable these days. Probably because it was not updated for long time due to Oppo's exit from high end market.
Oppo just exited the home audio market, hard to blame them with where disc sales have been going. Have you contacted Oppo directly? They are still doing maintenance afaik via their US facility....I suspect Amazon is the bigger issue here.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Will try to contact Oppo. But the issue is widespread. And not just with Oppo. Guess it is Netflix. Just some of their apps are more resilient to their poor infrastructure. Saw statistics that 26% of netflix users experience the same problem.

FireStick only has issue with netflix and only with 2.0 movies when you want to upmix. Oppo netflix app drops connection 3-5 times during the movie.

Will contact Oppo anyway.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will try to contact Oppo. But the issue is widespread. And not just with Oppo. Guess it is Netflix. Just some of their apos are more resilient to their poor infrastructure. Saw statistics that 26% of netflix users experience the same problem.

FireStick only has issue with netflix and only with 2.0 movies.

Will contact Oppo anyway.
Keep in mind every device/generation of an app/device implementation is different. Nature of the beast. Not great for the consumer, but that constant churn for the providers....

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Keep in mind every device/generation of an app/device implementation is different. Nature of the beast. Not great for the consumer, but that constant churn for the providers....
Yeah... Maybe if someone on this forum had FS 4k and did exactly the same test, this could help to localize the issue. For now it looks like netflix app

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis