Pre- amp suggestions

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

There you go.

Silver, audiophile, 20lbs, lots of buttons, lots of inputs/outputs, built-in DAC, MM phono, USB for Apple.

Wow, impress your friends.
Hold the presses, we actually agree on something for a change, LOL !

Rotel is IMO superb for the $$ spent, still have my old 1072 Cd that just plays wonderfully still to this day.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I'm just putting this out there because it is the first thing I thought of when you said 2.1 and silver.
This would consolidate everything into one component/remote and properly cross over the bass!

Looks pretty interesting an a great price. Cant seem to find and details regarding the dac. And I already ordered that Modi 3 dac Saturday. But I guess one of the other kids could find a use for that dac. Hell i'm going to go ahead and see how it sounds first anyways. I'll just say i'm burning it in.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looks pretty interesting an a great price. Cant seem to find and details regarding the dac. And I already ordered that Modi 3 dac Saturday. But I guess one of the other kids could find a use for that dac. Hell i'm going to go ahead and see how it sounds first anyways. I'll just say i'm burning it in.
I wish my girl was as enthusiastic as yours!
She does like/appreciate the SQ when it is there, but it is not something she would actively seek out.
However, she does like it that the system I set up in her spare room is managed with only one remote instead of the 4 I have in the LR!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So what’d she pick for speakers?

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
So what’d she pick for speakers?
To my knowledge she hasn't purchased her speakers as of yet. If she has, she hasn't told me. I just prey she is not letting her boyfriend influence her decision, he is one of those who thinks Bose are awesome. But I don't think or hope she wouldn't be foolish enough to go down that route. To my knowledge she has been of the mind set to get some full size towers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
To my knowledge she hasn't purchased her speakers as of yet. If she has, she hasn't told me. I just prey she is not letting her boyfriend influence her decision, he is one of those who thinks Bose are awesome. But I don't think or hope she wouldn't be foolish enough to go down that route. To my knowledge she has been of the mind set to get some full size towers.
Noooo!!!! Not BLOSE...

Seems like you taught her well. Fingers crossed...

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
LOL Blose is putting it nicely. couldn't really give my honest opinion on Bose or they would throw me off the forum. It is nice when you see the Bose fan boys wake up when they hear what speakers should really sound like. The look on their face is priceless.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
LOL Blose is putting it nicely. couldn't really give my honest opinion on Bose or they would throw me off the forum. It is nice when you see the Bose fan boys wake up when they hear what speakers should really sound like. The look on their face is priceless.
Lol. Nah, I’ve gone on tirades about how their marketing budget is far bigger than their research budget and they’re basically crooks robbing people with their bullshit. I say fukk em feed em beans, and it’d be nice if they were gone.
I too like sitting a blose lover in my LP and demoing something good. Wakey wakey!

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I wish my girl was as enthusiastic as yours!
She does like/appreciate the SQ when it is there, but it is not something she would actively seek out.
However, she does like it that the system I set up in her spare room is managed with only one remote instead of the 4 I have in the LR!
Ya, most all the kids appreciate good sound, they just hate paying for it. But like most im sure, they started out with some bumps and hurdles along the way. No matter what you tell them or think they have learned, there is always that one friend who thinks he knows of something better. So in the end I guess it's a good learning lesson. But as they find out like most, it can be an expensive lesson.
Anyways my youngest is even starting to get into some blues and jazz music, opening up her mind and possibilities to many different genres of music.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Lol. Nah, I’ve gone on tirades about how their marketing budget is far bigger than their research budget and they’re basically crooks robbing people with their bullshit. I say fukk em feed em beans, and it’d be nice if they were gone.
I too like sitting a blose lover in my LP and demoing something good. Wakey wakey!
It does amaze me how they have been able to stay in business.. Just goes to show you, a fool and his money is easily parted.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
And how much people hear with their eyes...
So very very true. I have had more than a few friends spend 5 digits on speakers, then are floored when they first heard my custom 2 way's, costing maybe 10% of their outrageously over priced speakers. I myself in the past years made some mistakes buying over priced speakers, luckily that was a short phase in life, lol. That's why im in the camp now a days, if I guy has the time and some half decent skills, he will be better off building his own. You may not get that nice pretty glossy cabinet so many seem to want, but you will get better components and better sound in the long run.
I will say though, my daughter also wants something that in her eyes is pretty, but she at least has the sense to know it better sound good.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Well here's an update-
My daughter was just over and informed me she will probably go with the Schitt audio Freya S or the Freya +. She is choosing one of those for two reason's, The look to go with the dac I ordered (schitt) and to match the onkyo cd player 7030 (silver) she has, still in the box unopened. She is headed to her boyfriends father's house to discuss having him build some speaker stands.
Apparently while she was in Texas, she found her speakers and supposedly got a good deal. Don't know how much she paid, must be a lot because she doesn't want to say. She got some JBL 4429's that will be here next week. I guess they wouldn't fit in the car LOL.
So hopefully within a month I will get to have a listening session. Thanks for all the input fellas.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
man, your gonna fall into the Schitt and come out smelling like a rose !

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
man, your gonna fall into the Schitt and come out smelling like a rose !
She was pretty pumped about the speakers. And I don't know if I've ever heard that particular model of speakers, so im kind of excited to hear them myself. As far as the Schitt products, I have no experience with any of their stuff. So I hope she ends up satisfied.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I've got their (Schiit) Jotunheim headphone amp, I like it, if that helps.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So very very true. I have had more than a few friends spend 5 digits on speakers, then are floored when they first heard my custom 2 way's, costing maybe 10% of their outrageously over priced speakers. I myself in the past years made some mistakes buying over priced speakers, luckily that was a short phase in life, lol. That's why im in the camp now a days, if I guy has the time and some half decent skills, he will be better off building his own. You may not get that nice pretty glossy cabinet so many seem to want, but you will get better components and better sound in the long run.
I will say though, my daughter also wants something that in her eyes is pretty, but she at least has the sense to know it better sound good.
It's not just speakers either. There are plenty ampliphiles out there who hear with their eyes too. I'd say even moreso.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis