Pre-amp for Marantz 7013?

D

Dead Wax Dave

Audioholic Intern
I recently switched to a Marantz 7013. Should I get a preamp for my turntable? With streaming and CD, a comfortable volume is 35. Phono volume is about 45, for same loudness.
Do you think I’m missing out on sound quality and nuance, or should I just turn it up a bit?
Thanks in advance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can adjust input levels in the pre-pro (per input) somewhat to even it out compared to others but it's just a low input level to begin with....but just turning up the master volume could be the best you can do (or play with gain relationship otherwise)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently switched to a Marantz 7013. Should I get a preamp for my turntable? With streaming and CD, a comfortable volume is 35. Phono volume is about 45, for same loudness.
Do you think I’m missing out on sound quality and nuance, or should I just turn it up a bit?
Thanks in advance.
What is your cartridge? I doubt using a phono preamp will make a difference unless you can detect that you have background noise when you advance the volume. If background noise is not intrusive when you advance the volume, then I think you have a non problem.

D

Dead Wax Dave

Audioholic Intern
Using Ortofon 2M Red. No background noise.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis