Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer Preview

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey Ray, do you have the front drivers of your subs firing into the sofa, if not please inform as to the orientation?
Cheers Jeff

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
Hey Ray, do you have the front drivers of your subs firing into the sofa, if not please inform as to the orientation?
Cheers Jeff
Hi, for each sub I have one driver facing the couch directly.

I have the amp level at 7 on both subs.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Hi, for each sub I have one driver facing the couch directly.

I have the amp level at 7 on both subs.
You mean the front driver correct, with the amp in the back? I ended up at 6 with the one, may move it to the back of sofa tonight. I have to play around with placement a bit, is moving the sub off the front wall along either the right or left side wall about 1/3rd to 1/2 way a no no, if so I won't bother. I can see where this is going, I'm trying to justify a second :D
Cheers Jeff

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
You mean the front driver correct, with the amp in the back? I ended up at 6 with the one, may move it to the back of sofa tonight. I have to play around with placement a bit, is moving the sub off the front wall along either the right or left side wall about 1/3rd to 1/2 way a no no, if so I won't bother. I can see where this is going, I'm trying to justify a second :D
Cheers Jeff
I actually have the amps near the couch on the left if looking at the couch from the front.

The area behind the couch is about 12 feet of open space. I didn't want the cords sticking out.

Not it sure about the side wall placement. Can't hurt to try it, getting REW should help find the right spot. I got the UMIK-1 which is plug and play, had to get an external sound card for about $40 too since my laptop audio output doesn't seem to be able to output anything below 40hz

ahblaza

ahblaza

I actually have the amps near the couch on the left if looking at the couch from the front.

The area behind the couch is about 12 feet of open space. I didn't want the cords sticking out.

Not it sure about the side wall placement. Can't hurt to try it, getting REW should help find the right spot. I got the UMIK-1 which is plug and play, had to get an external sound card for about $40 too since my laptop audio output doesn't seem to be able to output anything below 40hz
Thanks Ray, I to have some open space behind the LP quite similar to your setup, I have side surrounds and rears tjhere also and a computer work station. I have a desktop and laptop, calibrated verified + SPL Galaxy but have yet downloaded REW or attempted the learning curve, I am very intimidated with this part of the whole thing (REW). What makes the UMIK-1 plug and play, am I correct in that you can take measurements but no EQing? Thanks for your help, any would be appreciated to just get started, I am a complete noob or newb whar ever it is, I am.
Jeff

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Ray, I to have some open space behind the LP quite similar to your setup, I have side surrounds and rears tjhere also and a computer work station. I have a desktop and laptop, calibrated verified + SPL Galaxy but have yet downloaded REW or attempted the learning curve, I am very intimidated with this part of the whole thing (REW). What makes the UMIK-1 plug and play, am I correct in that you can take measurements but no EQing? Thanks for your help, any would be appreciated to just get started, I am a complete noob or newb whar ever it is, I am.
Jeff
The UMIK is plug and play-ish. It's a USB class 1 device so it requires to downloading of drivers, it just plugs in and should be immediately selectable as the input device. My problem with them is that both it and the Dayton offering both really need to be ordered from CSS. Many guys have shown that the calibration files that come with the mics can be off significantly enough to affect crossover design and therefor EQing ability. Plus, the cost of buying from CSS is negligibly more expensive.

REW is a measurement and analysis program that allows you to take measurements of speakers and subwoofers, analyze room modes, and gives you a ton of information about distortion, decay, etc. You can also use it for EQ or auto EQ, but you need another device to make use of this feature such as a miniDSP, Behringer unit or other approved unit.

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
I bought mine from css, I did not need to download any drivers with my Win7 laptop.

ahblaza

ahblaza

So I need a laptop (have) SPL meter (have) UMIK, mini DSP and REW? And of course the ability to use them in conjunction with each other. I assume css is Cross Spectrum, I thought buying from them was a good thing?
Jeff

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
The mini dsp is if you want to equalize the sub(s) otherwise it is not needed. I also did not need the SPL meter with this mic.

I would buy again from cross spectrum labs. I have sent them emails on the weekends and received responses within 30 minutes. Kind of like another company we know, plus they mics are calibrated to a 5hz

I have a low level Win7 laptop and could not use my line out as it can't output a signal below 40hz so I had to use an external sound card that I had lying around.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I need a laptop (have)
Yup

SPL meter (have)
Not really

Yup

mini DSP and
If you want the ability to add some equalization to your subs/speakers. If you're doing more than 2 subs, I would highly recommend the 4X10, and would recommend it anyways because it has over double the output voltage of the 2X4, which will come in handy.

Definitely.

And of course the ability to use them in conjunction with each other.
Which isn't hard at all, once you do a little checking to make sure all the sampling rates match, and a few other little things.

I assume css is Cross Spectrum, I thought buying from them was a good thing?
Jeff
It is, and you should only buy a USB measurement mic from them.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Just got my Triax today! :) I have it calibrated with Audyssey already and it sounds great. The only thing I did was raise the level on the Triax after calibration... I did this to get the bottom end up some more until I get the minidsp or some similar product. Hopefully in the next few days I can run REW to see what I have so far in my room.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Last night my wife was watching a movie with me and she was laying on the couch... She fell asleep with her head about 1' from the Triax! I was 2 chairs away in the LP and I was getting massaged by the bass! This was with the 4520 @ -20 or -25 (can't remember which), and the Triax boosted from -8 to 0 on the sub. We were hitting in the 90db+ range on peaks.

I just cranked it up on the new Star Trek movies to 0 and one of our dogs left the room pretty fast! It was @$#%^ LOUD!

K

kini

Full Audioholic
That's got to be quite the wall of sound coming at you with the Triax and 3 LaSacalas!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Last night my wife was watching a movie with me and she was laying on the couch... She fell asleep with her head about 1' from the Triax! I was 2 chairs away in the LP and I was getting massaged by the bass! This was with the 4520 @ -20 or -25 (can't remember which), and the Triax boosted from -8 to 0 on the sub. We were hitting in the 90db+ range on peaks.

I just cranked it up on the new Star Trek movies to 0 and one of our dogs left the room pretty fast! It was @$#%^ LOUD!
Do that again and you'll be sleeping on the couch...next time...lol.:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Just to clarify... When I cranked it up my wife was not home.
Yeah...I seldom reach reference peaks when the wifey is home, only when I have the house to myself or with the kids...I can get away with that.:D Heard back from Tom this afternoon and I finally placed my order for the XS30....hope to have it in a few weeks. If all goes well...I might look to add a second one down the road..just have to see how well a single unit handles my room...I'm not really a big time bass head.:)

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I will most likely down the road... cash permitting get a second Triax when we convert the garage into a HT. It will not be to get it louder but to fill the room more evenly at lower volume levels.

I was never a bass person before I got the Triax as all the subs I had heard in the past gave me a one note type bass... The Triax changed my mind on that!

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
I will most likely down the road... cash permitting get a second Triax when we convert the garage into a HT. It will not be to get it louder but to fill the room more evenly at lower volume levels.

I was never a bass person before I got the Triax as all the subs I had heard in the past gave me a one note type bass... The Triax changed my mind on that!
That's very good to hear Ellisr63, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Triax.

Also, quick update---we are finally caught up with all Triax orders and actually have a bit of inventory still on hand so new orders will ship immediately (in Satin Black). Thanks to all for all the interest in the Triax to date---somewhat overwhelming..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

ahblaza

ahblaza

That's very good to hear Ellisr63, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Triax.

Also, quick update---we are finally caught up with all Triax orders and actually have a bit of inventory still on hand so new orders will ship immediately (in Satin Black). Thanks to all for all the interest in the Triax to date---somewhat overwhelming..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom, that's what happens when you make an overwhelming product.:)
Your Friend Jeffrey

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
Ellis is going to pull the trigger on a second Triax? Dual's would be insane!! We need to get BMK to join here...operation ditch AVS!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis