Power grid challenges in Texas

T

trochetier

Audioholic
The resolution (it isn't legislation) does not mention specific technologies, it only mentions objectives. Like "removing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere". It is even an unclear objective. Or how about "upgrading all existing buildings in the US to achieve maximum energy efficiency..." Really? Even some 1920s home in Houston?

The closest thing in the resolution to focusing on a technology is high-speed rail, which is one of the most controversial uses of land in the US. And then the resolution goes on to talk about not abusing eminent domain (on page 13).

This isn't a resolution about technology, it is a new bill of rights, that includes, among other things:

- "guaranteeing a job with a family-sustaining wage"
- "strengthening" labor unions
- an indirect reference to tightening OHSA rules
- stopping the movement of jobs overseas
- getting the input of indigenous people (whatever they are... am I indigenous because I was born here?)
- freedom from unfair competition in business
- oh yeah, and the minor point of providing everyone in the US with high quality healthcare and "affordable adequate housing"

Not to mention the editorial comments about the "top one percenters". Such bullshit. This resolution is really a new economic and government assistance manifesto.
Laws are generally written in general terms. Law makers are not experts it is wise to leave that up to scientists, engineers and like. This also allows flexibility.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Laws are generally written in general terms. Law makers are not experts it is wise to leave that up to scientists, engineers and like. This also allows flexibility.
Nonsense. How many laws have you read? Can you name one written "in general terms". How about The US Patriot Act?

Or, an oldie but a goodie, the Rural Electrification Act of 1936

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Nonsense. How many laws have you read? Can you name one written "in general terms". How about The US Patriot Act?

Or, an oldie but a goodie, the Rural Electrification Act of 1936

I have heard the saying "The Law favors specificity". Codes may, or may not, be written in great detail, based on the level of liability the AHJ is willing to expose themselves to.

highfigh

highfigh

Nothing, but it’s classified so they can’t use it commercially.

I’m willing to bet commercial nuclear is much more efficient than military submarines but the military stuff will run for 100 years with very low maintenance.
NNSA oversees both military and energy use of nuclear energy- they both need high security.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have heard the saying "The Law favors specificity". Codes may, or may not, be written in great detail, based on the level of liability the AHJ is willing to expose themselves to.
Building codes are usually very specific, but that doesn't mean they meet a high standard.

highfigh

highfigh

Building codes are usually very specific, but that doesn't mean they meet a high standard.
An inspector insisted that I use fire blocking caulk on the holes for some Romex that I had run and didn't like me telling him that it wasn't absolutely necessary. He got all pissy about it and said that he'd call his boss- I said that would be fine. He was not happy when his boss agreed with me.

However, some code requirements do make sense and are necessary- cutting big holes in floor joists near the bottom weaken them severely, so that needs to be avoided if the floor is to remain stiff or to avoid failure in the event that several consecutive joists need to be cut near mid-span (which indicates bad planning by the plumber or HVAC contractor).

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Even though the codes are pretty specific, I run into “interpretation” of said codes by building officials and plans examiners all the time... :rolleyes:

highfigh

highfigh

Even though the codes are pretty specific, I run into “interpretation” of said codes by building officials and plans examiners all the time... :rolleyes:
Then, there are the inspectors and other pinheads in the planning department- I called (like an idiot) to find out if they had requirements about using some kind of partition behind a garage, to hide a compost pile, wheelbarrow and a rain barrel because I wanted to be a nice guy and hide it from my neighbor to the rear of my yard. I explained that I wanted to use fence panels and make them movable to allow me getting in to remove the wheelbarrow or add/stir the compost. His response- "Can you send a drawing? I can't visualize what you want to do". I almost asked if he was trying to save us from bad architecture.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Then, there are the inspectors and other pinheads in the planning department- I called (like an idiot) to find out if they had requirements about using some kind of partition behind a garage, to hide a compost pile, wheelbarrow and a rain barrel because I wanted to be a nice guy and hide it from my neighbor to the rear of my yard. I explained that I wanted to use fence panels and make them movable to allow me getting in to remove the wheelbarrow or add/stir the compost. His response- "Can you send a drawing? I can't visualize what you want to do". I almost asked if he was trying to save us from bad architecture.
We just build it and if they " the county board" has any issues they can send me a letter. Its almost a laughing political game in my area, where one year the county engineering and Planning departments allow building or land uses, and then the next after you have already built it, they change and they change again the following year. Not even sure they can keep up. Like we built a fence in 1993 on our property, in 1995 they said no fences, then in 1998, they allowed a developer in 5 new builds to add fences . Then after Hurricane Mathew everyone can have a fence and what that has to do with it, god only knows. So I can see the "
" Can you send me a drawing" :)

highfigh

highfigh

We just build it and if they " the county board" has any issues they can send me a letter. Its almost a laughing political game in my area, where one year the county engineering and Planning departments allow building or land uses, and then the next after you have already built it, they change and they change again the following year. Not even sure they can keep up. Like we built a fence in 1993 on our property, in 1995 they said no fences, then in 1998, they allowed a developer in 5 new builds to add fences . Then after Hurricane Mathew everyone can have a fence and what that has to do with it, god only knows. So I can see the "
" Can you send me a drawing" :)
I came very close to saying something that might have gotten my house condemned- "You really shouldn't be in that job if you can't visualize something so simple". Three effing movable fence panels- how hard is that?

Apparently, someone or something poked out his mind's eye.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I came very close to saying something that might have gotten my house condemned- "You really shouldn't be in that job if you can't visualize something so simple". Three effing movable fence panels- how hard is that?

Apparently, someone or something poked out his mind's eye.
I guess it was difficult for the guy to comprehend 3 removable panels LOL

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's the issue with them. The need to be better. That's one thing I like about Mike Holmes (if you know who that is). At least in Canada, he's helped establish more specific codes and a lot of other legislation around contracting in general. For a celebrity contractor, the dude is impressive.

I look at minimum code the same way I look at minimum wage. They're both the bare minimum you're legally allowed to do.

I would always something well above code if it were my house/building. Bare minimum isn't good enough. Unless the bar is raised, then it'd be fine.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That's the issue with them. The need to be better. That's one thing I like about Mike Holmes (if you know who that is). At least in Canada, he's helped establish more specific codes and a lot of other legislation around contracting in general. For a celebrity contractor, the dude is impressive.

I look at minimum code the same way I look at minimum wage. They're both the bare minimum you're legally allowed to do.

I would always something well above code if it were my house/building. Bare minimum isn't good enough. Unless the bar is raised, then it'd be fine.
I agree, but the only practical way to get above-code work is to build a custom house (an expensive, time-consuming undertaking), and you also have to know what to ask for. Most people, I would say including me, don't have that detailed experience. I know some of what to demand, but I suspect it's only a limited subset.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, but the only practical way to get above-code work is to build a custom house (an expensive, time-consuming undertaking), and you also have to know what to ask for. Most people, I would including me, don't have that detailed experience. I know some of what to demand, but I suspect it's only a limited subset.
To your point, thankfully my bro-inlaw is a code officer in a nearby township and two of my best friends are in the trade (Gen Contractor and plumber)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I agree, but the only practical way to get above-code work is to build a custom house (an expensive, time-consuming undertaking), and you also have to know what to ask for. Most people, I would say including me, don't have that detailed experience. I know some of what to demand, but I suspect it's only a limited subset.
That's the issue with this and a lot of other things. People simply don't know what to ask for. I know if I had questions the first person I'd ask, aside from my brother in law since he's a plumber, is @Pogre since he can do home inspections. I bet he'd have some interesting things to say about codes.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
To your point, thankfully my bro-inlaw is a code officer in a nearby township and two of my best friends are in the trade (Gen Contractor and plumber)
I think that's great. We all need to know our limitations and also know who to ask in situations like this. I'm grateful I know so many people with different backgrounds so I can get good information on just about anything. This forum is a great example. I can ask damn near any question and someone will come along that's as close to an expert as I can get. A lot of times it's @TLS Guy since I still don't think we've found anything he doesn't know SOMETHING about.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis