Power cable revelations inside! MUST READ!

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
So, I finally connected my Quicksilver Audio Horn Monos and got them fired up today. I used the stock power cables, not thinking anything of it (other than how awkward the power cables jutting out the side were). Something about the sound, though, it was loose, and floppy, and slightly bent.

I went and bought a pair of Cable Matters 90-degree power cords ($14,995 MSRP, but I got them off Amazon for $25), and YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE how the soundstage tightened up and became more angular, with strong, linear definition from top to bottom of the frequency spectrum! It was....

Ah, poop, I don't know enough audiophile double-talk to keep this up. I just wanted to take the opportunity to show off the system now that I've got it all in place.
20210503_194618.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You are correct, WE DO NOT BELIEVE your rubbish!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
speaker location / placement with respect to room boundaries and that God awful 'center thing' are an acoustical nightmare though ! I did love your power cable story, good one !

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Considering it was a joke, I'd hope you didn't. ;)
Ok, fair enough! I didn't get the joke in there.

My stance an arguments on power cables is pretty rock-solid-- If you think a few feet of fancy cable is gonna make any difference as compared to the 100s of feet of common romex in your walls, then you clearly don't understand how power transfer works (not to mention the science behind diodes/rectifiers and capacitors in the power supplies). Furthermore, if fancy power cables were important, then that is what would be used for electronics measurement labs, scientific and medical instruments, but it is not.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok, fair enough! I didn't get the joke in there.

My stance an arguments on power cables is pretty rock-solid-- If you think a few feet of fancy cable is gonna make any difference as compared to the 100s of feet of common romex in your walls, then you clearly don't understand how power transfer works (not to mention the science behind diodes/rectifiers and capacitors in the power supplies). Furthermore, if fancy power cables were important, then that is what would be used for electronics measurement labs, scientific and medical instruments, but it is not.
The part about retail price being $14,995 and selling price being $25 didn't raise any flags?

Want to buy an island?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So, I finally connected my Quicksilver Audio Horn Monos and got them fired up today. I used the stock power cables, not thinking anything of it (other than how awkward the power cables jutting out the side were). Something about the sound, though, it was loose, and floppy, and slightly bent.

I went and bought a pair of Cable Matters 90-degree power cords ($14,995 MSRP, but I got them off Amazon for $25), and YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE how the soundstage tightened up and became more angular, with strong, linear definition from top to bottom of the frequency spectrum! It was....

Ah, poop, I don't know enough audiophile double-talk to keep this up. I just wanted to take the opportunity to show off the system now that I've got it all in place. View attachment 47295
You need an 'Audiopile to Normal People' dictionary.

Chocolaty midrange
Organic
Immersive sound
Brown note

Which one of those terms is NOT used by audiopiles? (No, I didn't misspell it)

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
You need an 'Audiopile to Normal People' dictionary.

Chocolaty midrange
Organic
Immersive sound
Brown note

Which one of those terms is NOT used by audiopiles? (No, I didn't misspell it)
Brown note. Because that's totally a guitarist's quip. ;)

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
speaker location / placement with respect to room boundaries and that God awful 'center thing' are an acoustical nightmare though ! I did love your power cable story, good one !
I wish I could show you a 360 of the entire room, because it's not square. Acoustically speaking, this room is just about as good as one can expect to get in a single-story house without building it from scratch.

As to the "center thing", well, the wife picked out the furniture. I was just fortunate that she liked the look of the speakers, else they would have wound up in my office, which is a REAL acoustic nightmare (tiny, square). Happy wife, happy life and all that.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
The part about retail price being $14,995 and selling price being $25 didn't raise any flags?
I tried to throw a bunch of angle-related nonsense in there (because, y'know, 90-degree angle and all that) - clearly I didn't lay it on thick enough.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You got me. I was getting ready to read you the riot act til got to the last sentence. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
You got me. I was getting ready to read you the riot act til got to the last sentence. Bravo, sir. Bravo.
I'm kind of amazed that multiple people didn't catch the "$15K MSRP bought for $25" crack. Apparently my humor is more subtle than I previously thought. Or I should look into getting a job writing ad copy for these nutters.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
No, Brown Sound was Eddie Van Halen's thing, Brown Note was from South Park.
Oh, I've had conversations with other musos that involved The Brown Note long before South Park made the joke famous. Had nothing to do with Eddie's sagging power supply thing.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I wish I could show you a 360 of the entire room, because it's not square. Acoustically speaking, this room is just about as good as one can expect to get in a single-story house without building it from scratch.

As to the "center thing", well, the wife picked out the furniture. I was just fortunate that she liked the look of the speakers, else they would have wound up in my office, which is a REAL acoustic nightmare (tiny, square). Happy wife, happy life and all that.
all good enjoy the tunes, hopefully the day will come when you have your own man cave and you control it !!

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Want to buy an island?
It's just another case of self fulfilling expectations. You expect a thread like this to be audiophile nonsense,so you overlook the details and jump to the conclusion.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a power cable revelation :) I did buy one aftermarket one at one point to try it out for myself. The revelation was, there was no difference. ;)

Boy, nice speakers. Are they Altec Lansing? Voice of Theater?
La Scalas looks like.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Boy, nice speakers. Are they Altec Lansing? Voice of Theater?
You can make out the Klipsch tag if you zoom in. I'm with j_garcia. Likely La Scalas. Man, that design has been around for a long time.

(Edit) Wrong. He mentions Belle Klipsch in another thread, though the design is similar to La Scala.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis