Power Button Marantz CD6006

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Actually this TASCAM CD player probably does fit the OPs needs better than anything else currently available.

A CD recorder is less useful than a reel to reel recorder now. That really is the definition of obsolete. I have not used mine for about 15 years now.
Yeah, I had three CD Recorders, an HHB 850 and 2 Sony 66's. All pro, which were in constant use back in the late 90's, for the most part to copy master DAT's of radio commercials I produced. These CD's were then Federal Expressed to radio stations around the country. That's the way it was done before MP3 permitted commercials to be emailed to stations. I like the current Tascam 901 as it allows for faster LP digitizing than with computer, allowing for track separation without fuss. Only when LP has pops which need to be filtered does digitizing with computer make much sense. Once the CD is made, it can be put in computer to send to iTunes where tags are inserted automatically. At that point a burner can be used to produce playlists with full metadata. At any rate the Tascam Recorder is so cheap, why not, that's to say, if digitizing LP's is something you enjoy. Actually, seems to me less obsolete than a CD Player, more useful.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

How does that work? You can play the LP at 78rpm or something?
It's an on the fly punch-in with a CD Recorder, just like a start ID. And, if you don't like where you put the ID, you can erase it and move it. It works nicely for gapless recordings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I still don't understand. You mean when you want to record parts of an LP or? Since the LP speed is static I'm not understanding how the cd recorder is faster than a pc with the same task....

S

sterling shoote

I still don't understand. You mean when you want to record parts of an LP or? Since the LP speed is static I'm not understanding how the cd recorder is faster than a pc with the same task....
OK, I assume you digitize with computer software. You of course need to run the software and set parameters, then, while recording, you can use auto separation, manual separation, or separation after recording. With a CD Recorder just stick in a CD push record and play LP, creating start IDs as you go along or after recording is finished. The time saved is not needing to run software to produce tracks I do both, and prefer the CD Recorder, perhaps because I can manipulate the whole process without having to get into the computer in the first place.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL, it's been a while since I did some digitizing and we may have different software but I remember by far the majority of time spent was in the playing of the lp itself. I've been meaning to dig into that again as I'm caught up with most other audio maintenance. I've not used a cd recorder ever either, and doubt I will need to at this point as I'd rather record to a hard drive in any case, and rarely play physical cds except in the vehicles. If you use the cd recorder do you then spend time putting that cd on a hard drive or are you doing that simultaneously or ?

S

sterling shoote

LOL, it's been a while since I did some digitizing and we may have different software but I remember by far the majority of time spent was in the playing of the lp itself. I've been meaning to dig into that again as I'm caught up with most other audio maintenance. I've not used a cd recorder ever either, and doubt I will need to at this point as I'd rather record to a hard drive in any case, and rarely play physical cds except in the vehicles. If you use the cd recorder do you then spend time putting that cd on a hard drive or are you doing that simultaneously or ?
After the CD is recorded I usually then drop it into the CD burner on my laptop which puts iTunes on screen and asks if I want to import CD. Upon clicking yes iTunes will search tags if I have input the album artist and album title. Album then downloads with metadata. Once in iTunes I can produce a playlist of songs on that album and others which I can burn to CD and that CD will have all metadata. And, yes, the majority of time is spent just playing the LP. With the CD Recorder it is as fast as when you and I used to record LP's onto compact cassettes.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
After the CD is recorded I usually then drop it into the CD burner on my laptop which puts iTunes on screen and asks if I want to import CD. Upon clicking yes iTunes will search tags if I have input the album artist and album title. Album then downloads with metadata. Once in iTunes I can produce a playlist of songs on that album and others which I can burn to CD and that CD will have all metadata. And, yes, the majority of time is spent just playing the LP. With the CD Recorder it is as fast as when you and I used to record LP's onto compact cassettes.
Does not sound as easy, as making a Wav. file of the LP. Then drop a start CD marker, which will also place the end CD marker which you can move later to cut out any end of groove sound. Then just scroll the Wav and drop a track markers in all the track gaps. Then you can make sure the file meets dynamic specs (EBU). If not then it can be corrected in seconds. Also if any Eq is required you can do it to the whole Wav. instantly

Then just open a CD Cue file and drag the edited Wav. into the window. Then you can burn as many CDs as you want or not at high speed. The Wav. and Cue file can then be filed in your location of choice.

S

sterling shoote

Does not sound as easy, as making a Wav. file of the LP. Then drop a start CD marker, which will also place the end CD marker which you can move later to cut out any end of groove sound. Then just scroll the Wav and drop a track markers in all the track gaps. Then you can make sure the file meets dynamic specs (EBU). If not then it can be corrected in seconds. Also if any Eq is required you can do it to the whole Wav. instantly

Then just open a CD Cue file and drag the edited Wav. into the window. Then you can burn as many CDs as you want or not at high speed. The Wav. and Cue file can then be filed in your location of choice.
TLS, I do believe you can use a computer to create CDs from LPs pretty quickly if you do not get in a quagmire tagging songs. With the CD Recorder, just type in Album and Artist metadata, then upon placement of the finished CD into iTunes Library, iTunes will discover the titles of all songs and apply that additional information to the import. That's it, done deal, and the reason I don't use the computer for CD creation unless I want to get rid of annoying pops, or have a need for consistent silent groove spacing between tracks. Now, of course, if I wanted to do some sophisticated equalization, or anything else to change the sound of the LP, I would use the computer; but, so far, I have not been compelled to do so, being happy that the CDs I have created sounding indistinguishable from their LP masters. BTW, when I do use the computer I usually use Roxio Easy LP to MP3 software even though I have Audacity. The Roxio Sound Editor is more intutitive, straight forward, and less distracting screen.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TLS, I do believe you can use a computer to create CDs from LPs pretty quickly if you do not get in a quagmire tagging songs. With the CD Recorder, just type in Album and Artist metadata, then upon placement of the finished CD into iTunes Library, iTunes will discover the titles of all songs and apply that additional information to the import. That's it, done deal, and the reason I don't use the computer for CD creation unless I want to get rid of annoying pops, or have a need for consistent silent groove spacing between tracks. Now, of course, if I wanted to do some sophisticated equalization, or anything else to change the sound of the LP, I would use the computer; but, so far, I have not been compelled to do so, being happy that the CDs I have created sounding indistinguishable from their LP masters. BTW, when I do use the computer I usually use Roxio Easy LP to MP3 software even though I have Audacity. The Roxio Sound Editor is more intutitive, straight forward, and less distracting screen.
I have pro software, and can do what I want very fast. The only significant time is the real time recording. I don't use iTunes. I grudgingly use an iPhone, but otherwise keep as far away from everything Apple as I can. That is especially true of my DAW.

S

sterling shoote

I have pro software, and can do what I want very fast. The only significant time is the real time recording. I don't use iTunes. I grudgingly use an iPhone, but otherwise keep as far away from everything Apple as I can. That is especially true of my DAW.
Oh, well you being a pro with pro software, I guess you can manipulate most processes with great efficiency. My music enjoyment today is pretty much all from my iTunes Music Player. I have iTunes on my computers and devices, like iPhone and iPad. It's not just a great music player, but so much more. I use it to explore new music, find music I have an interest in, as well as to store music I've purchased from the iTunes Store. Also, since iTunes is where my digitized vinyl is going to be stored, and since iTunes features a CD Import feature, using a CD Recorder simplifies things for most of the work. At any rate, I've enjoyed reading about how you do it. You have some awesome equipment and I just love the environment you've created to enjoy it all.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis