Power Button Marantz CD6006

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Can someone help me out? Brand new Marantz CD6006, fantastic CD player, save one thing. The power button seems glitchy. I did some Googling, turns out I am not the only one, but couldn't find an answer as to why. When I press the power buton, the red light blinks once. I wait 10+ seconds, nothing happens. Press the button again, nothing, press a couple more times, FINALLY, it turns on. What's the deal? If it's being goofy right out of the box, I am concerned it won't last years to come. Has anyone had experience with these CD players? Maybe I can contact Marantz and see if they can help me out also.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Can someone help me out? Brand new Marantz CD6006, fantastic CD player, save one thing. The power button seems glitchy. I did some Googling, turns out I am not the only one, but couldn't find an answer as to why. When I press the power buton, the red light blinks once. I wait 10+ seconds, nothing happens. Press the button again, nothing, press a couple more times, FINALLY, it turns on. What's the deal? If it's being goofy right out of the box, I am concerned it won't last years to come. Has anyone had experience with these CD players? Maybe I can contact Marantz and see if they can help me out also.
@TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Few use an old fashioned on/off switch anymore. They use a momentary switch which destabilizes a starting circuit. There are various types of flip/flops, most IC now. Trouble with these circuits certainly occur. The last one we had posted about was one that turned on when the owner was not near the unit, showing the circuit was too unstable. In your case the circuit is too stable and needs coaxing to turn on.
If you are not the only one with this problem, either there is an error in the design or they have a bad bunch of ICs.

Either way this problem will most likely get worse with age. You need to return the unit for repair. Talk to Marantz first and make sure they are honest. If the unit is just replaced then unless they have a new and better batch of components, or have done a redesign since your unit was built you will more likely than not have the same problem. Push them hard and ask if they know of the problem and what they have done to fix it, or plan to do to fix it.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Few use an old fashioned on/off switch anymore. They use a momentary switch which destabilizes a starting circuit. There are various types of flip/flops, most IC now. Trouble with these circuits certainly occur. The last one we had posted about was one that turned on when the owner was not near the unit, showing the circuit was too unstable. In your case the circuit is too stable and needs coaxing to turn on.
If you are not the only one with this problem, either there is an error in the design or they have a bad bunch of ICs.

Either way this problem will most likely get worse with age. You need to return the unit for repair. Talk to Marantz first and make sure they are honest. If the unit is just replaced then unless they have a new and better batch of components, or have done a redesign since your unit was built you will more likely than not have the same problem. Push them hard and ask if they know of the problem and what they have done to fix it, or plan to do to fix it.
Thanks for the tip. I will get on the blower with Marantz. Brand new unit, shouldn't need to press it multiple times to turn on, definitely a little concerning as I am a quality snob and appreciate well designed, well engineered things, nothing half-assed.

Update: Phoned Marantz; he hadn't heard of the issue, but he took it seriously and said they will input my call and startup an investigation on the CD6006. I've seem Amazon reviews and otherwise claiming they've bought a unit, same symptoms as me, returned for new one, same problem.

What I was instructed to do was:
Perform a reset. This is done by holding down the Pause button and the Disc Input button simultaneously, then with your other hand press Power. It should show a message on the screen and do its thing. He said if that didn't fix the glitch, exchange it for a new one. I'll let you know what comes of it.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the tip. I will get on the blower with Marantz. Brand new unit, shouldn't need to press it multiple times to turn on, definitely a little concerning as I am a quality snob and appreciate well designed, well engineered things, nothing half-assed.

Update: Phoned Marantz; he hadn't heard of the issue, but he took it seriously and said they will input my call and startup an investigation on the CD6006. I've seem Amazon reviews and otherwise claiming they've bought a unit, same symptoms as me, returned for new one, same problem.

What I was instructed to do was:
Perform a reset. This is done by holding down the Pause button and the Disc Input button simultaneously, then with your other hand press Power. It should show a message on the screen and do its thing. He said if that didn't fix the glitch, exchange it for a new one. I'll let you know what comes of it.
Insanity at Marantz then. If others have returned the unit and have the same problem, then why do they think your case will be different?

I doubt there will be a speedy resolution to this problem. My advice is to return it to Amazon as defective and get something else.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Insanity at Marantz then. If others have returned the unit and have the same problem, then why do they think your case will be different?

I doubt there will be a speedy resolution to this problem. My advice is to return it to Amazon as defective and get something else.
Maybe he himself has never heard of the issue, but I brought it up a couple times. I'm sure the company has heard of this before.

Not sure what else to get for a high end CD player for around $700 CDN though :( I was quite happy with how this sounded.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have read the reviews on that unit. It seems a bad player like most expensive CD players. The late Ted Perry founder of Hyperion records had a rule, now widely known as the Perry rule. It: - "The ability of a CD player to play a disc is in inverse proportion to its cost!" In other words the higher the price of the player the more likely there will be a number of discs it won't play. He had noted that disc returned that would not play ALWAYS came from people with expensive players. The returned discs would play on cheap players.

I note in the the reviews that player of yours is very selective about the discs it will play. So when it comes to stand alone CD players the cheaper the better. Don't waste your money on high end ones.

MacIntosh seem to know that. When I was serving my friends MAC CD player, I found it had the cheapest Sanyo disc drive in it. Yes, it was right at the bottom of the market.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
ByYelduson February 26, 2017
Verified Purchase
"This CD player sounds great when it works. But since the first time I tried several problems showed up: power button sometime works, sometimes doesn't, you have to push couple times to get it to work."

Byrsjiiion February 23, 2017
Verified Purchase
"Good sound quality and i would even say high end. Power button is finicky and even dysfunctional at times. Not sure if this is just my unit or whether they are all like this. Not worth sending it back but it's suppose to be high end so this is somewhat disappointing."

Forum:
"So i just purchased this CD player last week and I have to press the power button several times before it turns on. I thought it was defective so I exchanged it and got the same problem.
When I press it normally it comes on after about the 5th time.
I tried pressing it once and waited a few seconds. Nothing.
I pressed it once and held it for a few seconds. Nothing.
Pressing the remote power does the same thing.
If it's on and I unplug it, it comes back on when I plug it back in.
What is wrong with this player? :("

Forum:
"I bought a third player from a different outlet and this player works fine.
What a relief."
Wedgebeat, Nov 20, 2017.

Hmm. Come on Marantz. This concerns me to no end. Not what you'd expect for a $700 CD player. Do I keep exchanging them until I get one that works? Guess that's what happens when you contract your manufacturing out in Vietnam. WTF do you expect? Not much else bugs me more than a company trying to sell gilded shyt as gold, and asking top dollar for said gilded shyt. You get what you pay for; IF YOU BUY FROM A REPUTABLE COMPANY. If not, you pay top dollar for cheap a$!, marked up junk.

Doesn't anyone make real shyt anymore? Seems like, even if you have a 12" stack of money and want the best of the best, it's not available. You either get dog turd, or dog turd with gold flakes in it. There's no option C. :mad:

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

ByYelduson February 26, 2017
Verified Purchase
"This CD player sounds great when it works. But since the first time I tried several problems showed up: power button sometime works, sometimes doesn't, you have to push couple times to get it to work."

Byrsjiiion February 23, 2017
Verified Purchase
"Good sound quality and i would even say high end. Power button is finicky and even dysfunctional at times. Not sure if this is just my unit or whether they are all like this. Not worth sending it back but it's suppose to be high end so this is somewhat disappointing."

Forum:
"So i just purchased this CD player last week and I have to press the power button several times before it turns on. I thought it was defective so I exchanged it and got the same problem.
When I press it normally it comes on after about the 5th time.
I tried pressing it once and waited a few seconds. Nothing.
I pressed it once and held it for a few seconds. Nothing.
Pressing the remote power does the same thing.
If it's on and I unplug it, it comes back on when I plug it back in.
What is wrong with this player? :("

Forum:
"I bought a third player from a different outlet and this player works fine.
What a relief."
Wedgebeat, Nov 20, 2017.

Hmm. Come on Marantz. This concerns me to no end. Not what you'd expect for a $700 CD player. Do I keep exchanging them until I get one that works? Guess that's what happens when you contract your manufaturing out in Vietnam. WTF do you expect?
Stop worrying about it. Get your money back. Follow Perry's rule and buy a cheap one. CD players are not turntables. A cheap player will sound just as good as the expensive one and give you less trouble. You just think the expensive one sounds better because you turned over a wad of cash.

If you want a "green poultice" then buy a Mac. You will have handed over the cash. It will work because it has a very down market drive.

I follow my advice. I have just built a state of the art DAW sourced from the best components, but I put in a $29 disc drive and its great.

If you want this saga to continue, just keep purchasing high end CD players. Yes, just go ahead. Trust me, I'm giving you good advice on this one.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Stop worrying about it. Get your money back. Follow Perry's rule and buy a cheap one. CD players are not turntables. A cheap player will sound just as good as the expensive one and give you less trouble. You just think the expensive one sounds better because you turned over a wad of cash.

If you want a "green poultice" then buy a Mac. You will have handed over the cash. It will work because it has a very down market drive.

I follow my advice. I have just built a state of the art DAW sourced from the best components, but I put in a $29 disc drive and its great.

If you want this saga to continue, just keep purchasing high end CD players. Yes, just go ahead. Trust me, I'm giving you good advice on this one.
I appreciate the advice. However I disagree with CD players sounding the same. There are low-end DACs, clocks, anti-jigger technology, power supplies, etc, and there are better ones. Resulting in a noticeable difference in sound. I've done side by side comparisons before deciding on the Marantz.
I will return it, try again, if that doesn't work, I am changing brands and never giving them another shot.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what a good one is?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I appreciate the advice. However I disagree with CD players sounding the same. There are low-end DACs, clocks, anti-jigger technology, power supplies, etc, and there are better ones. Resulting in a noticeable difference in sound. I've done side by side comparisons before deciding on the Marantz.
I will return it, try again, if that doesn't work, I am changing brands and never giving them another shot.

You should not be using the analog circuitry or DAC of any player. You should have a digital connection to your pre amp or receiver. If you are using analog input, then you need an inexpensive reliable mass produced CD drive and an external DAC.

Bits are bits. By the way all this jitter nonsense of the audiophools was debunked by sound science long ago. The myth still persists.

My DAW uses a cheap drive as I said, but the DCA is a 2K RME unit.

Lastly your comparisons mean Squat. The best way to tell the difference is with test gear. Then you can see right away what is equivalent.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, TLC has given you great advice, advice you were looking for. Send the unit back, get a full refund, and do not buy another from Marantz. Instead of a CD Player, consider a Universal Player. For less money than you paid for the Marantz you could have an OPPO UDP-203, which will play CD's, SACD's and even multi-channel SACD's, not to mention DVD's, BD's, and UBD's. What you will hear from that source device, whether just using it as a transport with digital output, or with analog output, will rival any so called hi-end player. Now, since you have yet to be convinced about getting your money back, I am going to assume you have been sold on the Marantz brand and you are finding it hard to let it go; but, my friend, you need to let it go. Discovering a problem which is not unique but wide spread should tell you something about the brand's quality control. In other words the brand does not deserve your loyalty. They, in a sense, deceived you into believing their mission was to fulfill your needs. But, are those needs being satisfied, other than having an attractive face plate, no, they are not.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
OP, TLC has given you great advice, advice you were looking for. Send the unit back, get a full refund, and do not buy another from Marantz. Instead of a CD Player, consider a Universal Player. For less money than you paid for the Marantz you could have an OPPO UDP-203, which will play CD's, SACD's and even multi-channel SACD's, not to mention DVD's, BD's, and UBD's. What you will hear from that source device, whether just using it as a transport with digital output, or with analog output, will rival any so called hi-end player. Now, since you have yet to be convinced about getting your money back, I am going to assume you have been sold on the Marantz brand and you are finding it hard to let it go; but, my friend, you need to let it go. Discovering a problem which is not unique but wide spread should tell you something about the brand's quality control. In other words the brand does not deserve your loyalty. They, in a sense, deceived you into believing their mission was to fulfill your needs. But, are those needs being satisfied, other than having an attractive face plate, no, they are not.
Thanks for the info. I am not sold on Marantz, I am pissed off with the reliability and quality control.

Do I need something that plays video if I am only ever listening to 2 channel stereo music? Seems like it's overly complicated having video and multi channel decoding etc all in there. I am having a hard time finding that model you claimed, is there another brand of universal player you'd recommend. I'm willing to look into them for sure. You're saying most any dvd player will be better?

By the way, I didn't pay retail for the Marantz, I got it brand new in box for $340 CDN which is a steal.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the info. I am not sold on Marantz, I am pissed off with the reliability and quality control.

Do I need something that plays video if I am only ever listening to 2 channel stereo music? Seems like it's overly complicated having video and multi channel decoding etc all in there. I am having a hard time finding that model you claimed, is there another brand of universal player you'd recommend. I'm willing to look into them for sure. You're saying most any dvd player will be better?

By the way, I didn't pay retail for the Marantz, I got it brand new in box for $340 CDN which is a steal.
Oppo is common brand and very good. I have an Oppo player.

If you are just playing CDs then you don't really need a universal player. The issue is what are you connecting the player to? Do you stream music as well? If what you are using for control preamp/integrated amp/receiver, has a DAC, then any cheap player will be best connected to your system via SPDIF digital connection. If you only have an analog connection then it is more difficult. Stand alone CD players are now an endangered species with very low demand now. This part of the reason for your problem with the Marantz. This is no longer an item companies are going to go to a lot of trouble over. If you really must have a stand alone CD player, I suggest you look on eBay for good older players.

If you are streaming you can use a computer and a CD drive and a good DAC preferably one external to the computer. This will be better and more versatile than a stand alone computer.

S

sterling shoote

What you want is a CD Player that works, right? Now, there are numerous ones out there at the price point you have a budget for; but, for about the same money, the OPPO UDP-203 will play CD's and more. So, while it has some capability you are not looking for, or need right now; what's the downside? I have an OPPO, which I use primarily for multi-channel SACD enjoyment; but, for CD's it's awesome too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another upside for that Oppo is that it probably holds its resale value better than any other optical disc player, if that matters.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I have been quite happy with my Parasound zCD, but it is no longer available new.

I got mine used for $200 a couple years ago.

I would also be inclined to look into the Tascam. This has been recommended on here from long time users, but I have no experience with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Tascam-CD200-Professional-CD-Player/dp/B002DOVT7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520952873&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+cd+player&dpID=31hTsraJnkL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

To me, the critical items on a CD player are no mechanical noises, and good build quality. After that you are splitting hairs (at best).

S

sterling shoote

I have been quite happy with my Parasound zCD, but it is no longer available new.

I got mine used for $200 a couple years ago.

I would also be inclined to look into the Tascam. This has been recommended on here from long time users, but I have no experience with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Tascam-CD200-Professional-CD-Player/dp/B002DOVT7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520952873&sr=8-1&keywords=tascam+cd+player&dpID=31hTsraJnkL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

To me, the critical items on a CD player are no mechanical noises, and good build quality. After that you are splitting hairs (at best).
Boy, do I like Tascam. I especially like the Tascam CD-RW901 MKII CD Recorder Player, great for digitizing LP's where tags and gapless performance must coexist.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Actually this TASCAM CD player probably does fit the OPs needs better than anything else currently available.

A CD recorder is less useful than a reel to reel recorder now. That really is the definition of obsolete. I have not used mine for about 15 years now.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. The price point of the Tascam is pretty intriguing. I exchanged the Marantz for a new one, will try it tonight. Figured I'm interested to see if another one has the same symptoms. If so I am returning for full refund and might try that CD200.

Maybe quality control is slipping in general. Quite a few 1/5 star reviews on Amazon for that Tascam. "Drive error" pooched within months for some units. Made in China, what do you expect. Does no North American or Japanese brand make their CD players on home turf? I'd even get a Yamaha but they're subbed out to China or Vietnam too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis