Power amp manufacturers 2024

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I guess I hadn’t realized how long it’s been since I last purchased a power amp. Apparently the number of manufacturers have dropped significantly, which is why I’m here. I’m looking for names of amp manufacturers that make 7-channel 200wpc minimum amps I may have missed. I know of ATI, Outlaw, Monoprice, & Emotiva. I know there are others that make 200wpc but they’re not 7 channels. And vice-versa, 7 channel amps but don’t have 200wpc. Please let me know who I missed. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I guess I hadn’t realized how long it’s been since I last purchased a power amp. Apparently the number of manufacturers have dropped significantly, which is why I’m here. I’m looking for names of amp manufacturers that make 7-channel 200wpc minimum amps I may have missed. I know of ATI, Outlaw, Monoprice, & Emotiva. I know there are others that make 200wpc but they’re not 7 channels. And vice-versa, 7 channel amps but don’t have 200wpc. Please let me know who I missed. Thanks.
I doubt that is a good idea. That would be 1400 watts from one power supply. Probably 2.5KW from the AC, unless it is class D. I doubt that will happen, and the amp will not be all channels driven at that power. So you will not make a substantial gain over a receiver. That would weigh a ton, and be very unmanageable. I personally use nine two channel amps. I would suggest one three channel amp and two two channel amps. In all my three systems, I actually have 13 two channel amps in use. They will all deliver their rated power. The nine in the AV room are on two circuits.

The other issue, is that if one amp goes down, you are not "dead" in the water" with multiple amps on multiple chassis. I think the more modular you design your system the better. "Too many eggs in one basket" is not good design in my opinion.

Last edited:
J

Jack N

Audioholic
TLS Guy – I definitely hear what you’re saying. However I don’t have the physical room for more than one amp. I’m forced into using a single unit. And I know what mean about being unmanageable – the other amp I have is something like 147 lbs. That’s why I don’t even attempt to lift it – I have a strong friend who’s been doing it for me. Ha! Interesting set-up you have there. Very nice!

BoredSysAdmin – You’re right. I guess I should have stated into the standard 8 ohm load, not 4 ohm. You’re also correct about the manufacturer. Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.

Is there anybody else out there with another one?

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, going from say 100 watt @ 8 Ohm load to 200 watt @ 8 Ohm load will only get you about 3bd more in volume. Outlaw is your best value though. Some don't like Monoblock amps, I do, 7 Outlaw Monoblock amps for under 3K would be your best value. 200 @ 8 Ohm load. Just a recommendation. Happy hunting.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Buckeye is another company making Amps using the Hypex or Purifi Modules. Dylan is a great guy; very customer focused!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TLS Guy – I definitely hear what you’re saying. However I don’t have the physical room for more than one amp. I’m forced into using a single unit. And I know what mean about being unmanageable – the other amp I have is something like 147 lbs. That’s why I don’t even attempt to lift it – I have a strong friend who’s been doing it for me. Ha! Interesting set-up you have there. Very nice!

BoredSysAdmin – You’re right. I guess I should have stated into the standard 8 ohm load, not 4 ohm. You’re also correct about the manufacturer. Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.

Is there anybody else out there with another one?
Power amps don't have to be on view, or even in the same room.

These amps 3,200 watts total are out of site, under a quiet air extraction fan.

In the room you don't know they are there.

The other issue with that much amp power you are talking about, is turning them on and off. The will burn out usual AC switches, so I use sequential 27 volt relays. The other issue is controlling surge of turn on, in the breaker panel. I have installed magnetic shunt breakers, as standard breakers trip on turn on.

Engineering really powerful systems takes a top to bottom pro approach.

If you turn on an amp with seven 200 watts amps, I guarantee it will trip any breaker in a standard household panel. So that is likely why you are not seeing many, as customers who have bought them don't likely have a clue how to engineer for them, and think they are faulty. That gives rise to a lot of needless returns.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know of ATI, Outlaw, Monoprice, & Emotiva. I know there are others that make 200wpc but they’re not 7 channels. And vice-versa, 7 channel amps but don’t have 200wpc. Please let me know who I missed. Thanks.
All you need to know is ATI anyway. :D

Erase Emotiva from your memory. :D

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Buckeye is another company making Amps using the Hypex or Purifi Modules. Dylan is a great guy; very customer focused!
So, umm you done went and picked up some of those fancy class D amps huh? Umm how about this! Sell to me!;) 3 of them Outlaw Monoblock amps you got no use for? I'll pay shipping! :D. Plus you can use the funds to by more class D amps.;)

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Tankini - Yeah, 7 monoblock amps would be cool but I just don’t have the physical room.

Ryanosaur – Thanks. I’ll check them out. I’m jealous of your Phils!

TLS Guy – That is a thought. When I designed the room, I set aside what I thought would be plenty of space for the equipment. During the construction I changed some things so now I don’t have as much shelf area in my cabinetry as I’d like (cabinets do have fans, and I use AC Infinity also). In fact it’s rather cramped where the amps are (every last piece of equipment is in the cabinetry and out of sight). But there is a very cramped access area behind the cabinetry that I could probably stick stuff. Food for thought. Thanks. As far as electricity supply goes, I installed 6 dedicated 20 amp circuits strictly for the amps (there are 2 other dedicated circuits for the rest of the equipment). The amps I presently have use soft start circuitry so no problems with blowing breakers or drivers.

AcuDefTechGuy – I definitely like how the Outlaws sound that’s for sure. But I’ve had problems with them from a reliability standpoint which has shaken my confidence in ATI stuff. Granted, I did let them sit in the box for a LONG time before using them and from what I’ve been told that’s a no-no. I’ve been looking for another 7900 but now I’m unsure about it because of my experiences. Like I say, it might be because I let them sit for so long, but I can’t be sure of that. If I were to run across another 7900 would I buy it? If the price was right, probably. I’m a sucker for good sound. As far as Emotiva goes, ya, definitely not my first choice but you never know.

“Friends don’t let friends buy Emotiva” Ha! Funny!

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
@Jack N you an ole timer! 2004! Ole Old timer! Where you been hiding at? Get yourself a flagship AVR, like Yamaha, Denon or Marantz maybe a Anthems. Any one of those flagship AVRs will do nicely for a 7 channel setup.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Lovinthehd – For right now I’m using an AV10. At some point down the road I’d like to move up to something with more channels – Like a used Trinnov or Storm.

Tankini – I’m not old! I only smell old! Yes, you are correct, I’ve been around a long time and have been hooked on audio gear and rock & roll since I was 4 years old, literally.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Tankini - Yeah, 7 monoblock amps would be cool but I just don’t have the physical room.

Ryanosaur – Thanks. I’ll check them out. I’m jealous of your Phils!

TLS Guy – That is a thought. When I designed the room, I set aside what I thought would be plenty of space for the equipment. During the construction I changed some things so now I don’t have as much shelf area in my cabinetry as I’d like (cabinets do have fans, and I use AC Infinity also). In fact it’s rather cramped where the amps are (every last piece of equipment is in the cabinetry and out of sight). But there is a very cramped access area behind the cabinetry that I could probably stick stuff. Food for thought. Thanks. As far as electricity supply goes, I installed 6 dedicated 20 amp circuits strictly for the amps (there are 2 other dedicated circuits for the rest of the equipment). The amps I presently have use soft start circuitry so no problems with blowing breakers or drivers.

AcuDefTechGuy – I definitely like how the Outlaws sound that’s for sure. But I’ve had problems with them from a reliability standpoint which has shaken my confidence in ATI stuff. Granted, I did let them sit in the box for a LONG time before using them and from what I’ve been told that’s a no-no. I’ve been looking for another 7900 but now I’m unsure about it because of my experiences. Like I say, it might be because I let them sit for so long, but I can’t be sure of that. If I were to run across another 7900 would I buy it? If the price was right, probably. I’m a sucker for good sound. As far as Emotiva goes, ya, definitely not my first choice but you never know.

“Friends don’t let friends buy Emotiva” Ha! Funny!
The NC502mp is an excellent amp providing 2ch amplification with on board power supply. Dylan offers an 8 channel version of that, as well as the NC252mp which is lower power but still SOTA. At one point I think he offered a split 502 and 252 in one chassis.

If the idea is of any interest, you should email him. :) He is not a hard sell kind of guy... but he will answer your questions and let you decide what is right for you.

As far as mono blocks go, it is nice to know that each Speaker has its own power supply, but what does it really mean in the long run? Unless you are pushing things to the absolute limits, chances are it is nothing more than a security blanket. :) A really cool, high powered security blanket! ;)

That said, in the 252 or 502mp category, even with shared power supply per two channels, there is still no issue with crosstalk. These Hypex modules are among the best options watts per dollar you can look at. Amir has measurements and review threads for a lot of Buckeye Amps, including those.

Happy hunting!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lovinthehd – For right now I’m using an AV10. At some point down the road I’d like to move up to something with more channels – Like a used Trinnov or Storm.

Tankini – I’m not old! I only smell old! Yes, you are correct, I’ve been around a long time and have been hooked on audio gear and rock & roll since I was 4 years old, literally.
What other amps are you using? Outgrown 15.4, wow.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So, umm you done went and picked up some of those fancy class D amps huh? Umm how about this! Sell to me!;) 3 of them Outlaw Monoblock amps you got no use for? I'll pay shipping! :D. Plus you can use the funds to by more class D amps.;)
D@mn you, man.
I sold one to another amigo, here, a bit ago. Of the original 5 I had, 4 remain. 2 are not in use, yet, pending my long slow slog to getting Atmos installed, they will be.

Of course, if you want to make me an offer I can't resist... ;)

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Lovinthehd – Presently I’m running a pair of Outlaw 7900s, thus the need for another amp. Altogether I have 20 speakers (not including subs) which is the other reason I need another amp. That’s obviously more than the AV10 can handle and why I would like to upgrade to a used Trinnov or Storm in the not-too-distant future. Probably shouldn’t have bought the AV10 but it sure is a fun piece. It’ll grow on you.

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Lovinthehd – Presently I’m running a pair of Outlaw 7900s, thus the need for another amp. Altogether I have 20 speakers (not including subs) which is the other reason I need another amp. That’s obviously more than the AV10 can handle and why I would like to upgrade to a used Trinnov or Storm in the not-too-distant future. Probably shouldn’t have bought the AV10 but it sure is a fun piece. It’ll grow on you.
20 speaker's huh, no wonder you looking to pick up some amps! You Mad scientist! I'm sure you've ran into Andrew in here on AH. He an ole timer also he got 20 subs along! or is it 12 subs? My memory is not as good as it used to be, alzheimer's I think. Lol, anyway all Passive subs. He loves him some amps also. Love this HT thing, If I was rich and famous and money was no object I'd have a full thirty two channel Dolby Atoms setup. Why not huh? I'd have a rack full of amps, I'd be like a mad scientist pulling and installing cables everywhere look like a rats nest behind my panel with all my amps in a 12ft high rack. I'd get with our AH Analog King Doc, For advice on my electrical panels. Cheers! :)

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
D@mn you, man.
I sold one to another amigo, here, a bit ago. Of the original 5 I had, 4 remain. 2 are not in use, yet, pending my long slow slog to getting Atmos installed, they will be.

Of course, if you want to make me an offer I can't resist... ;)
Hey, brother, I'll shoot you a private box message in 25 days, 2nd to last day of this month. I'm Serious about them Two Monoblock amp's you have sitting idle. I'm gonna get 3 new from Outlaw come 1st week of October. Like I stated I'll pay shipping. Wait a minute? Don't you live in NO? (New Orleans) hell I'll meet you at Cafe du Monde, Breakfast will be on me, plus lunch also at House of Blues, if you still live in NO. We do Swap "cash" Crispy Benjamins, for monoblock amps. I already know you take care of your of your gear.

@Jack N, My apologies for hijacking your thread some. I get carried away my bad.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis