Posted on here before about home theater suggestions...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That isn't realistic for serious sound systems. Any serious sound system will need centralized control. Systems like the ones outlined there can do simple things but not complex things. AVRs sales have been trending down for awhile now and that isn't going to stop, but there is always going to be a demand for them. The article title is clickbait, and it's not a serious thesis statement.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
So I got to know: Why again exactly are AV receivers selling less if they’re the much better route for superior sound? I don’t get it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So I got to know: Why again exactly are AV receivers selling less if they’re the much better route for superior sound? I don’t get it.
Question of the day!
I’m not sure that very many people care about it. Half the ones that think they do end up with a soundbar(yeah I know you almost did too lol). I think a lot of people are just too preoccupied with other stuff. Too bad really.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sound quality is pretty far down on the list as criteria for picking an actual sound system for most people. Convenience normally trumps sound quality. People think that AVRs are too complex. They also don't want to deal with what they think will be a spaghetti mess of wiring. AVRs also take up space that could be used for banal decorative trinkets.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Another quick question. Are the Denon 4400 and Marantz 6011 pretty much the same thing?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another quick question. Are the Denon 4400 and Marantz 6011 pretty much the same thing?
I believe most would say the 4400 is closer to the 7012. I just installed my 6012 last night for my 7.3.4 system. Not sure but the better bargain for most installs seems to be the 3400.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Soundbars and bluetooth.

Once upon a time, if you had a stereo at all, it was to play from your record, tape, or (eventually) CD.

You could get a boom box, or a mini-integrated system, or separates.

Now people are playing from their TV and phone. There are any number of blue-tooth enabled powered speakers (including soundbars and battery-powered portables) that will do that.

The sound quality isn't as good; but the convenience is high and the price is low and it seems less confusing.

Heck. I've put soundbars in the children's rooms because 1) the TV was simply truly awful for audio and 2) a full AVR setup is too complex to operate and requires space. I may update to thin active speakers if I find the right set.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I agree with what others have said here, especially the point about turning the room. That would seem to be your best overall option in this space.

I've bought AVRs from A4L before from both Denon and Marantz - no issues at all. If you can score a bargain, go for it.

Agree also with the point about 2 subs. I'm a HSU guy myself but SVS makes a great product too, by all accounts.

Finally, I think I'd buy speakers for a 5.2 setup right now and just have the in-ceiling Atmos speakers wired at this point. Buy the best speakers you can for the 5-channel and see how it sounds. You may be perfectly happy and decide you don't need Atmos. That room setup isn't going to be ideal for Atmos no matter what you do, so I think you could end up 'chasing' a problem that is really, really hard to fix in that room if you do everything right away. This way you get the 5-channel setup right and then add the in-ceilings later. If you love the sound, great, but if not, you know where the problem is.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Beware of the Klipsch, sold mine after a year and it was not easy to sell either. Super treble heavy. With a 5k budget consider going for high quality 5.2 system. I'd go with mid level AVR. Trust me you can always upgrade the electrons later down the line + you'll probably understand this thing called the costly "upgrade itch". I'd go with a high quality 5.2 - go cheaper on the electronics. I have a friend who has a cheaper atomos system and it dose not sound all that great. Go for quality not quantity.

IMO i'd do:
2.5k for subs
2k for speakers
500 - for the AVR.

PS you can't put a price on good bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis