Posted on here before about home theater suggestions...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s 5.1.2 instead of 5.1.4 with slightly less power.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey man, I quickly breezed through this but I do remember the original thread as does shady. I’ll try to address what I can remember.
So for me, if you’re keeping the layout how it is. I would go with 5.2.2. Put the atmos speakers in the flat part as far forward as you can and use “top front” speaker designation like this.

If you put them in the front sloped part, you’d use the front height designation. IMO, front height isn’t as good as top front so I would use top front.
The reason you can’t put .4 above you IMO, is there’s not enough height combined with horizontal space.
Definitely move the couch forward. Put surrounds(not rear surrounds) on stands close to the wall pointing slightly forward toward the LP.
Also, I don’t think you’ll get good atmos sound with the CC mounted above the tv as that will put it too close in height to the atmos speakers and that won’t allow enough separation between bed and height layer.
Ok. I’ll check later.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Steelers252006: Ryan,
You've gotten A LOT of solid advice here, including the thread I found from back in October. In fact, before I suggested turning your room, William suggested it too!

I get that you want to put together an HT system in a bad way. Cool. My suggestion to you is to start with a 5.1 or 5.2 system. Leave Atmos out of it for a moment, but buy the AVR that will allow you to expand!
It will be somewhat easy to set up in your space requiring minimal moving of your furniture. And no Installation arrangements... you could do it all yourself.

TV: VideoSecu Cathedral Ceiling TV Mount: This is probably too long, but you can also buy the components... a fixed length of Aluminum NPT that fits the ceiling mount and fits the VESA adapter for your TV.
Just search on Cathedral Ceiling TV Mount and you'll see there are a lot of options you can use.

Get a smaller rack for your gear as Shady suggested, and put it just to the side... or two racks, one each on both sides, and buy a stand for your center speaker (doesn't have to be this... just an example). This will give you the option of atmos in the future without confounding the sound (by having your speakers to close together).

Do pull your couch forward a little to make room for some small satellite speakers... these are the L and R Surrounds. You will want these for movies and gaming... and will be necessary if you want that option of Atmos in the future.

Because it is simpe, affordable, and good quality with excellent customer service and a great 45 day in-home trial period... that's why I mentioned SVS earlier. Look at their Prime series of speakers. Again, not trying to sell you on this, but it's something to look at. They can be your one-stop shop for a 5.2 system.

I'll follow up with more in a moment

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK... So I'm just estimating room volume by the measurements you gave before on your post from October.
2000-2400'3
Because of the acoustics in there, I recommend, and many others will do the same, that you consider two subs. You could go with two PB1000 from SVS, but I think you'll be happier with two PB2000 in that space.
The purpose of 2 subs is to even out the bass response so it sounds better all around your room, rather than getting it to sound just right in one spot.
There are a lot of great options for subwoofers, and they've already been listed... but I think for you, especially if you take a liking to SVS, just order the subs from them. Again this is only meant as an option.
Hsu, Outlaw, Rythmik, PSA... Shady mentioned the new Dynamo from Martin Logan...

Probably the Hsu VTF-2Mk5 would be their best choice for your room... and you can get two shipped for $1165.00.

SVS has free shipping.

If you wanna play around with something kinda fun: SVS System Builder

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
3400 comparable to 4400? Haven’t looked much at it. Or big difference?
My brother from anotha motha! How you been bro? So good to hear from you! Youve got the budget and are ready to get in the game! Helllll to the yeah I've got some good ideas for you I remember your original thread and am going to talk on at the pictures you sent and then throw them out there! I'll be back in like 30min! Hell I'm almost as excited as you are!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My brother from anotha motha! How you been bro? So good to hear from you! Youve got the budget and are ready to get in the game! Helllll to the yeah I've got some good ideas for you I remember your original thread and am going to talk on at the pictures you sent and then throw them out there! I'll be back in like 30min! Hell I'm almost as excited as you are!
P.S stay away from that earthquake stuff and that installer you can do so much more for that kind off coin!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
3400 comparable to 4400? Haven’t looked much at it. Or big difference?
Okay my friend! AND HERE WE GO! lol

Point 1: why oh why can't the TV be moved in front of that window and your front towers and center done from there? Why oh LORD why? Lol. Because all the things you want to do could be done from there. Just move the office stuff since its a corner desk to the back of the room couch goes in the middle. With that setup you could do not just 5.1.4 but 7.1.4 even 7.2.4!!! The room layout works perfectly like that

Point 2 go with the Denon 4400 I have it its awesome just always on sale cheap. Just perfect with all the features you need great reciever

Point 3 the reason Shady is suggesting against atmos where you currently are is due to spacing and dispersion issues. The atmos speakers in front and behind will be too close to you both front and back and your surrounds will be pretty close to your couch from that spot. Not enough room to make it work very well. However! Lol If we change the layout of furniture it works just fine.

Point 4 great speakers and subs have been covered but for speakers especially if you keep the layout the way it is and your speakers are fairly close around you? What about RSL's CG3 lineup? Super great quality you'll save a ton off money which will allow to invest in not just one badass sub but 2! Which every home theater setup should go with in my opinion at least duals

Point 5 I'm also thinking SVS but not just 4 subs. Although the PB 2000 and or PC 2000 subs in duals would be great in that room. But there ultra lineup. Not the towers if you keep the room the way it is but rather the Ultra bookshelves and ultra center! Save a lot and you get great quality at that price. Those ultra bookshelves have a lot of good reviews.

Now if you switch the room around and give yourself more room to breath bookshelves will still work but you could also do towers! Which means we can help you look at some options the SVS ultra lineup gets pricey there but as mentioned there's a lot of other great affordable options!

This should be fun but for the love of everything please do not go with those EARTHQUACK speakers! And installer. Run away run very far away! Just trust us on this one Lol:D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This post is gold, going to be printed and researched as I'm ready to start ordering my pieces.

I will say this, though, and I'm sorry to be redundant, man. I appreciate all your info and help for a dude like me that doesn't know squat about any of this type stuff but wants some decent sound and doesn't want to buy the wrong stuff or get hosed by some installer. I am AS CONFUSED as ever about what the heck I'm going to do here. So I change the room around, it's a completely different install than if I leave it be. It also chops up the room into smaller pieces making it harder to get more people over for football games. And I have a two year old. However, the engine that is driving me on this is the potential for Atmos sound. I know I'm probably a million miles off here, but I really, REALLY want that full "bubble" effect.

So tell me, why a 5.1.2 versus a 5.1.4 again? Why can't I put four speakers in the ceiling to the side of the fan and all pointed at the LP? Move the couch us a little for the rears, move the coffee table, have my two towers in the front...why wouldn't that work again? Also, I have very little room to mount that TV if I leave everything as is. What is the mount I would use then that would push the TV out and up so I could have room to either mount the center channel under it, leave my current stand there in place and put the center channel on it, or build custom shelves? I have an Xbox One X and a Nintendo Switch set up and stored in my stand right now.

Also, how how does this AV receiver run? Should it be housed in the open so it can "breathe"?

Honestly, dude, I could probably ask a million other questions. I know I'm a pain in the ass and am probably overthinking all of this. I think I AM going to go ahead today and order an AV receiver and two towers and maybe a sub, get all of that in place at least. I gotta have something other than this crappy TV sound. It sucks to buy a nice OLED TV and have no sound for sure.
To answer some of the questions in this post:
I don't think there would be a significant benefit going from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 for such a small listening position area. I don't think there is ant harm in doing so, but I would guess its better to save that money and invest in better speakers/subs rather than more speakers. You might be surprised at how much of that "bubble" effect can be accomplished with just a properly set-up stereo pair of speakers, nevermind a surround sound system let alone an Atmos system.

Regarding TV mounts, that is not my area of expertise, so I can't give you any advice there. All I can tell you is that your current TV stand makes things congested for a good center speaker. Perhaps you could replace it for a more minimalist stand that makes room for a speaker underneath it? As it is, you don't have room for a worthwhile center channel, but you can always use a phantom center, where the front left/right carry the center channel content.

An AVR should be used in a well-ventilated area. It does generate heat, and heat reduces the lifespan of electronics.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oh, and you do think that putting the Atmos speakers in the slanted part of the wall and facing the LP is the way to go versus in the ceiling overhead and pointed down towards the LP? If so what type of speaker would you get for each scenario? And what's this bipole speaker thing the other fellow was mentioning? I'll hunt down his responses, too, were also very detailed and helpful. I assume that makes them turn different directions?
I think that putting Atmos speakers in the ceiling segment facing your listening position is the way to go. Atmos speakers are supposed to project sound at a certain angle with respect to the listener. The problem with that room is if you mounted those speakers to the top portion of the ceiling, sound would badly diffract from the slanted segments. I don't think it would sound right, it might sound like you mounted them in a corner which could lead to a 'cupped' sound effect.

As for bipole speakers, those are speakers that project sound from two sides for very wide coverage, like so:

They have a more diffuse sound. I don't know that I would use such speakers in your situation. I think that you can use regular bookshelf speakers just fine so long as they are not too close to the listening position. Typical bookshelf speakers are monopole speakers meaning they project sound in one direction. It is easier to control their sound so I would go for those. Dolby Atmos mandates monopoles for all speakers in a system anyway.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
My main man!! :) I'll read the next one now.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Okay my friend! AND HERE WE GO! lol

Point 1: why oh why can't the TV be moved in front of that window and your front towers and center done from there? Why oh LORD why? Lol. Because all the things you want to do could be done from there. Just move the office stuff since its a corner desk to the back of the room couch goes in the middle. With that setup you could do not just 5.1.4 but 7.1.4 even 7.2.4!!! The room layout works perfectly like that

Point 2 go with the Denon 4400 I have it its awesome just always on sale cheap. Just perfect with all the features you need great reciever

Point 3 the reason Shady is suggesting against atmos where you currently are is due to spacing and dispersion issues. The atmos speakers in front and behind will be too close to you both front and back and your surrounds will be pretty close to your couch from that spot. Not enough room to make it work very well. However! Lol If we change the layout of furniture it works just fine.

Point 4 great speakers and subs have been covered but for speakers especially if you keep the layout the way it is and your speakers are fairly close around you? What about RSL's CG3 lineup? Super great quality you'll save a ton off money which will allow to invest in not just one badass sub but 2! Which every home theater setup should go with in my opinion at least duals

Point 5 I'm also thinking SVS but not just 4 subs. Although the PB 2000 and or PC 2000 subs in duals would be great in that room. But there ultra lineup. Not the towers if you keep the room the way it is but rather the Ultra bookshelves and ultra center! Save a lot and you get great quality at that price. Those ultra bookshelves have a lot of good reviews.

Now if you switch the room around and give yourself more room to breath bookshelves will still work but you could also do towers! Which means we can help you look at some options the SVS ultra lineup gets pricey there but as mentioned there's a lot of other great affordable options!

This should be fun but for the love of everything please do not go with those EARTHQUACK speakers! And installer. Run away run very far away! Just trust us on this one Lol:D
Earthquack!! LOL!! Will the fan in the middle of my room be a problem, though?

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
OK... So I'm just estimating room volume by the measurements you gave before on your post from October.
2000-2400'3
Because of the acoustics in there, I recommend, and many others will do the same, that you consider two subs. You could go with two PB1000 from SVS, but I think you'll be happier with two PB2000 in that space.
The purpose of 2 subs is to even out the bass response so it sounds better all around your room, rather than getting it to sound just right in one spot.
There are a lot of great options for subwoofers, and they've already been listed... but I think for you, especially if you take a liking to SVS, just order the subs from them. Again this is only meant as an option.
Hsu, Outlaw, Rythmik, PSA... Shady mentioned the new Dynamo from Martin Logan...

Probably the Hsu VTF-2Mk5 would be their best choice for your room... and you can get two shipped for $1165.00.

SVS has free shipping.

If you wanna play around with something kinda fun: SVS System Builder
See, Ryans are all awesome!! Except this one who's being a PITA at the moment!! Thanks, dude, your advice is killer and makes sense. I worry about that stupid fan in the room, though, and how much it will detract from the sound. I think I should go with the Denon 4400 for a receiver for sure, least maybe I have that component down. I didn't even think about dual subs before, but I like the suggestion. Seems like SVS is a solid all around option, will look a little closer at it.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
To answer some of the questions in this post:
I don't think there would be a significant benefit going from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 for such a small listening position area. I don't think there is ant harm in doing so, but I would guess its better to save that money and invest in better speakers/subs rather than more speakers. You might be surprised at how much of that "bubble" effect can be accomplished with just a properly set-up stereo pair of speakers, nevermind a surround sound system let alone an Atmos system.

Regarding TV mounts, that is not my area of expertise, so I can't give you any advice there. All I can tell you is that your current TV stand makes things congested for a good center speaker. Perhaps you could replace it for a more minimalist stand that makes room for a speaker underneath it? As it is, you don't have room for a worthwhile center channel, but you can always use a phantom center, where the front left/right carry the center channel content.

An AVR should be used in a well-ventilated area. It does generate heat, and heat reduces the lifespan of electronics.
You mean a shelf that is simply underneath the TV with the center channel speaker angled up towards the LP? That would be acceptable? If so I can swap this stand with my one downstairs, which is open-faced glass with two rows on it, should work.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Hey man, I quickly breezed through this but I do remember the original thread as does shady. I’ll try to address what I can remember.
So for me, if you’re keeping the layout how it is. I would go with 5.2.2. Put the atmos speakers in the flat part as far forward as you can and use “top front” speaker designation like this.

If you put them in the front sloped part, you’d use the front height designation. IMO, front height isn’t as good as top front so I would use top front.
The reason you can’t put .4 above you IMO, is there’s not enough height combined with horizontal space.
Definitely move the couch forward. Put surrounds(not rear surrounds) on stands close to the wall pointing slightly forward toward the LP.
Also, I don’t think you’ll get good atmos sound with the CC mounted above the tv as that will put it too close in height to the atmos speakers and that won’t allow enough separation between bed and height layer.
Ok. I’ll check later.
When you say put the atmos speakers in the flat part as far "forward" as I can as I'll be able to use the "top forward" like this and you send the diagram, it makes it look on the diagram, at least to me, that the atmos speakers or the "top forward" speakers (same thing, right?) are directly overhead according to the diagram, but you're saying deviate from the diagram in that regard and put them more forward from the LP? Am I reading that right? Thanks, buddy!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You mean a shelf that is simply underneath the TV with the center channel speaker angled up towards the LP? That would be acceptable? If so I can swap this stand with my one downstairs, which is open-faced glass with two rows on it, should work.
That sounds like it would work.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
See, Ryans are all awesome!! Except this one who's being a PITA at the moment!! Thanks, dude, your advice is killer and makes sense. I worry about that stupid fan in the room, though, and how much it will detract from the sound. I think I should go with the Denon 4400 for a receiver for sure, least maybe I have that component down. I didn't even think about dual subs before, but I like the suggestion. Seems like SVS is a solid all around option, will look a little closer at it.
The ceiling fan mounted above? That shouldn't mess with the sound that bad. I have one in my room and it doesn't affect my atmos speakers at all

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The ceiling fan mounted above? That shouldn't mess with the sound that bad. I have one in my room and it doesn't affect my atmos speakers at all
And the Denon 4400 is a great reciever I can attest to that

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here's a pic or 2 of my room so you can see what I'm talking about with the fan20181210_004831.jpg20181210_004807.jpg20181210_004748.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You can't see it well but the fan is right smack in between the atmos speakers but it doesn't affect the sound at all they sound great up there

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The furniture layout is an example of what I'm talking about. That is not how I originally set it up. But that's how so needed to arrange everything to get the best sound. It came out pretty good I think. I'm happy with it and that's what matters. That applies to you as well. We're going to give you a lot of advice. But in the end you gotta do you. And what makes you happy. I'm positive whatever you cook up is gonna kickass!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis