Possibly ending my SVS love affair

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, so far I'm really leaning towards the Paradigm Prestige 85F's and may have to stretch my budget a bit but they kinda sound like Apple earbuds to be honest. I don't know if that justifies the high price.
You're actually trying to choose speakers by listening to YouTube videos with ear buds? How do you expect that to work? You're hearing the other guy's room, whatever he's using for a mic, bad mic placement and it can't sound the way the speakers will, in your room.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
"A great party speaker with Audiophile qualities" Uh, what? And what does "North American" sound mean? This guy is a moron. This guy sounds like a politician - says a lot of stuff but none of it means anything.
It's less apparent now, but speakers designed and built in the US don't necessarily sound the same as Canadian, British, German, Danish or Japanese speakers. It used to be possible to break them into smaller groups, too- In the '70 and '80s, speakers made on the West Coast, New England, Midwest and South sounded very different and it was identifiable to anyone who spent a lot of time listening to a wide variety. They started to become more similar once more designs were made using computers and Thiel-Small parameters.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You're actually trying to choose speakers by listening to YouTube videos with ear buds? How do you expect that to work? You're hearing the other guy's room, whatever he's using for a mic, bad mic placement and it can't sound the way the speakers will, in your room.
Lol. We took over about a page making jokes about that. Halon is far from serious.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=59414&share_tid=74416&url=http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/index.php?threads/Which-brand-makes-the-best-quality-loudspeakers?.74416/&share_type=t
Not sure if this works through Tapatalk or where it'll put you in the thread. Basically some guy in the thread was saying you could audition speakers on YouTube. We picked it up in halons thread. And beat it to death...
Tapatalk butchered that. here's a working link.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You don't want Paradigm, you want Bose!
Look at the way the Bose shake that brick wall! Paradigm doesn't even come close!
Bose FTW!

Edit - j/k, I would hate for a total newbie to read this and think I was serious!
The thing I can't get over is they both sounded like my iPhone... must be something in settings.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Reminds of a thread where we talked about auditioning speaker set-ups while wearing a hearing aid , these all sound the same , I think I will stick with my Magnavox Towers .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, on a whim I decided to purchase one of the SVS Prime Center speakers to test...At any rate I can't say that it's that much of a sonic improvement...
Do you mean the dialogue doesn't sound crystal clear and dynamic ?

Is dialogue volume too low or unclear?

Does the Center speaker make a crackling noise sometimes?

What is your Center Speaker Channel Level setting - is it the same level as the other speakers or did you increase the Center channel level +3dB above the other speakers?

Last edited:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Do you mean the dialogue doesn't sound crystal clear and dynamic ?

Is dialogue volume too low or unclear?

Does the Center speaker make a crackling noise sometimes?

What is your Center Speaker Channel Level setting - is it the same level as the other speakers or did you increase the Center channel level +3dB above the other speakers?
Center in particular has been the most difficult to dial in ever since getting rid of my old receiver. Voices sounded thin and unnatural or boxy, sound effects would sound compressed, strained.. so I did a few things before buying the new Prime Center: moved the speaker up to the front edge of the cabinet, placed some room treatments (one large 2x4' panel of 703 behind the couch, 2x2 panels on the wall behind the mains, one small 0.5x2' panel behind the center). I also elevated the speaker itself and acoustically decoupled it from the cabinet with a foam pad. All of these helped but it still wasn't right (and through two new top tier receivers at that).

So at that point I bought the Prime Center. Re-ran YPAO, copied EQ over to manual, fine tuned (center only) by ear, adjusted tone controls (basic bass and treble controls on the Yamaha: -1.5db treble, +2.5db bass), then checked levels against my SPL meter. Re-adjusted to match everything at 75db post tone and EQ corrections. Because the Prime is a bit more sensitive than the SCS's it's ending level setting was a few db less than the mains to achieve same SPL at the MLP.

Oh I also notched out the 8khz area with a pretty narrow Q to help reduce the over emphasized sibilance I was getting.

Both the Marantz and the Yamaha seem to really jack up the treble and HF on my center so I have to really tamp that back down.

Right now it's about the best it's sounded yet and although maybe still not as natural (with voice) as I'd like, I'm not sure what else I can do to add improvement. All the above seems to be the best sequence and combo of things out of the multitude of things I've tried.

So, in short - Prime is decent. It's getting the job done, albeit with some heavy manual tweaks but don't think it's an improvement that reflects the $300 I spent on it. I'd give it maybe $50 worth of improvement over the SCS if I were to assign it a monetary value.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I def don't have a problem hearing the dialogue. The problem is how the dialogue actually sounds.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
This is why we need a sarcasm font :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I def don't have a problem hearing the dialogue. The problem is how the dialogue actually sounds.
Is it unnatural on all sources? I know a lot of movies these days have been known for dialogue issues, mostly revolving around recording and mastering. How are voices when you watch the news? Not that you do, but that would be vocal-centric, and might help determine if it's the source or not. Also, how are vocals, say in PLII. Don't know if you listen that way, but just another data point.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Is it unnatural on all sources? I know a lot of movies these days have been known for dialogue issues, mostly revolving around recording and mastering. How are voices when you watch the news? Not that you do, but that would be vocal-centric, and might help determine if it's the source or not. Also, how are vocals, say in PLII. Don't know if you listen that way, but just another data point.
Nope. It greatly depends on what I feed it. News programs sound awful in general, highly sibilant, compressed and weak sounding, almost unpleasant to listen to at times. I get the best vocal sound from certain blu rays but not all. I watched the Arrival (on 4k disc) a week ago and the sound effects in the movie - amazing. Vocals? Not so much. Could be the way it was recorded, or mixed but this is an issue I've never before experienced with any blu ray disc and it certainly wasn't this noticeable before with even news programs. Newer Xbox one games I play seem to sound the best when they direct voices to the center channel oddly enough.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
No PLII on the new Yamaha. I use the straight setting as I've found that sounds the best. I will switch it to Neo: Cinema when I'm streaming movies or shows on Netflix that are 2-channel audio. In fact I watched the movie "Whiplash" that way and it sounded great. Vocals weren't bad either.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Honestly the only thing I feel I can do that I haven't done yet is upgrade the speakers. Hence this thread :)

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I browse the forums here at work on a Dell 5510 also :) It is my second system (Admin). On my $8 Amazon earbuds.
At work my 5510 is plugged into a pair of Klipsch 2.0 powered speakers so... well... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis