popping noise from speakers during dark knight rises blu ray

S

syou125

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, hopefully someone will be able to help me I am a pretty big noob when it comes to this (usually good with these sorts of things) but I just cant get my head around all of the settings etc. I have the Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 system with a Yamaha rx-v673 receiver I have set it up using the yamaha auto set up feature but I am waiting for my spl meter to arrive so I can do it manually.
The problem is that when I play the dark knight rises on blu ray there are lots of popping sounds from the speakers and the bass sounds really flat during the scene when the football field explodes. I have the speakers set to small and the crossover set at 100 and I am getting very confused as to why its happening. I haven't heard it on any other films and I have also tried a downloaded copy just to make sure it wasn't my blu ray disk.
can someone please help me with this and also what are the best setting for my speakers would also be amazing.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi everyone, hopefully someone will be able to help me I am a pretty big noob when it comes to this (usually good with these sorts of things) but I just cant get my head around all of the settings etc. I have the Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 system with a Yamaha rx-v673 receiver I have set it up using the yamaha auto set up feature but I am waiting for my spl meter to arrive so I can do it manually.
The problem is that when I play the dark knight rises on blu ray there are lots of popping sounds from the speakers and the bass sounds really flat during the scene when the football field explodes. I have the speakers set to small and the crossover set at 100 and I am getting very confused as to why its happening. I haven't heard it on any other films and I have also tried a downloaded copy just to make sure it wasn't my blu ray disk.
can someone please help me with this and also what are the best setting for my speakers would also be amazing.
The operative instructions are on page 19 of your Q 200i manual.

The translation is that when you hear those pops, turn the volume down otherwise your speaker set will have a one way ticket to the recycling center.

The BD you quote has a lot of high dynamic and heavy bass. The system you purchased will only play discs like that at very low volume.

Unfortunately you have been lied to by a lot of people who have either been bribed or have an undisclosed financial interest in those speakers. There is little probity left in the world today. The laws of the jungle rule.

I have read a number of reviews and it is a physical impossibility for those speakers to perform as described.

The puff on the manufacturers site makes lofty claims of low distortion with nothing to back it up, and quotes no specs with any serious guide to achievable performance. In those situations assume the performance is basement and you won't go wrong. The meaningfull specs are confined to dimensions, size of speakers etc.

The bass mids are 4" and the woofer drivers 6.5". Any woofer of that size will bottom playing Dark Knight and many others except at very modest volume.

The popping you are hearing is from the drivers bottoming, which will soon destroy them.

For your next set of speakers run as far as you can from any retailers who gave those speakers any of their numerous awards, and regard them as the retailer's badge of dishonesty.

S

syou125

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for your reply, its a shame about the reviews as they are what I went on when I purchased the speakers. can you or anyone else recommend any speakers system that would perform a lot better in the £600-800 bracket. I use them for pretty much for only films and tv with occasional gaming and music.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks so much for your reply, its a shame about the reviews as they are what I went on when I purchased the speakers. can you or anyone else recommend any speakers system that would perform a lot better in the £600-800 bracket. I use them for pretty much for only films and tv with occasional gaming and music.
Unfortunately for a good movie experience at the volume you desire, you will have to up your budget.

With VAT, in the UK it makes the cost of goods much more expensive and this drives the junk market.

For true cinema live and the sort of volume that requires will put you in the 2500 to 3000 GBP bracket at least for a 5.1 system, for a modest system you could play at lower but reasonable volume will put you in the 1000 to 2000 GBP bracket.

Modern movies are very demanding of speaker systems, especially the subwoofer.

Another alternative is to purchase a single pair of speakers and then a sub, then a center and then the surrounds.

Another issue is that good subs are very hard, if not impossible, to come by in the UK and Europe generally.

The reason is because of the large number of terraced and semidetached houses, with such a large percentage of the population having shared walls, floors ceilings etc. Good subs in those situations are a recipe for neighbor annoyance, complaints and equipment confiscation. This is why US made subs rule, as apart form apartment (flat) dwellers, detached house are the rule.

This is a package you could look at, but I fear the sub will still not meet your expectations.

This KEF package should be on your short list, as well as the Q300

I would also put this Monitor Audio package on your short list.

However when watching movies with extreme bass special effects you are still going to have to curb your enthusiasm somewhat.

To really shake the walls and floor will be well beyond your budget, but all of my picks should give you a good movie experience.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you tried settng the volume to around -20 or lower (i.e. -25)? If you have the 2010i for the front their woofer size is only 100mm=3.937", sensitivity is 86dB@1m with min imp 4ohms so they are not designed to play very loud and are suitable to smaller rooms only. I agree with TLSGuy but if you can turn the volume down and sit closer you should be able to eliminate the popping due to drivers bottoming out.

S

syou125

Audiophyte
thanks for all the replies. I think what I will do is purchase the speakers separately and build up a system. I am lucky in the way that I have no other flats or houses sharing any of my walls so I would like to get something that's comes as close to a cinema experience as I can but on a budget (maybe around £1500) when i buy a house i will have dedicated room and a decent budget to have a great system .

i do like the look of the b&w, i will try and go to a store and see if they have some i can listen to. should i be looking at floor standing speakera or
bookshelf speakers for the left and right and as i mostly watch movies on it would it be better to get the centre first or the left and right first.

i was also looking at the klipsch rf-52ii package, has anyone had any experience with these speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis