Poor Customer Service Experience with Paradigm

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brianphoto

Audioholic Intern
I have to post to convey my experience with customer service at Paradigm Electronics. I had purchased $8500.00 worth of Studio Reference speakers including a Servo 15v1 subwoofer. After 1 month the sub developed a an internal rattle which could not be fixed by my dealer so it was sent to Paradigm and they sent me a new unit. The new unit had obvious defects in the cabinet, chipped wood around the driver opening as well as 2 places where the laminate had separated from the wood. I sent the sub back to Paradigm and after more than 2 months their response was the sub had water damage and all they were willing to do was "fill" the areas and send it back to me. They sent me photos of the repair job and I told them that it was not acceptable to me. Since the v1 was no longer made they said there was nothing they would do. I offered to pay the difference for a new v3 model but they would not consider that as an option and just sent the sub back to me. I have posted pictures of the sub at www.prophotographics.ca/paradigm.htm for people to see what they have sent me. Their final comment was to leave the grill on and nobody will notice. In my opinion this is just not good enough. This is an expensive piece of equipment and I think I deserve to be treated better. So if you are thinking about purchasing Paradigm equipment, go ahead, if you don't mind dealing with lousey customer service when you need it! Come on Paradigm, remember it is us, the little consumer who keeps you in business. I don't know where to go from here so if anyone has any comments or suggestion I would appreciate it.....

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
It's unfortunate you've had this bad experience with Paradigm. I have been reading audio fora for the past year and I have to say that your bad experience with respect to Paradigm is the only one I've read or heard about. As a Paradigm owner, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of response you get from others, if any, who may have had similar experiences.

I tend to think that your dealer, if he wanted your future business, could have taken a more active role -- perhaps taking the sub back himself and selling it as used gear; then giving you credit toward a new one.

I looked at the photos and while the "chips" around the driver don't look that bad to me, I have to agree that the wood finishing job was not first rate.

How does the "new" sub sound?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm wondering

If you should post this in more forums such as Audioreview, Sound&Vision Magazine, Audio Asylum etc. and then let Paradigm know what you did. Whatever you do, don't give up!! maybe the folks here know how to get past the customer service person that is being an a??h?le and get you onto somebody different.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I really think you should get your dealer involved. They will have much more pull than you. And, they sold it to you and should have some responsibility. You spent a lot of money with them and they should understand that no "Audiophile" is ever content with their system and will likely spend more.

Shinerman

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Sorry to hear about your experience. With the competition that Paradigm faces, one would think that they'd take care of their customers better - especially one who invested a lot, and acted reasonably.

My advice would be to see what your local dealer can do about cutting you deal on another brand (I had some problems with my turntable, and my dealer offered a free and substantial upgrade). If they can't help you, then think of it as an opportunity to make the move to better sound in your home. There are many speaker designers out there who would love your business, and can provide much improved sound to what Paradigm has to offer.

B

Brianphoto

Audioholic Intern
I agree with you that this is probably not typical of Paradigm and I too am very interested in hearing if there are any more people who have had any problems with them. I checked the Better Business website and they do have another complaint against the company for waranty issues. The chips around the driver opening do look worse in real life. $2000.00 for a sub is alot of money and I expect it to look perfect, not to cover it up with the grill as they suggested to me.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Brianphoto said:
I have to post to convey my experience with customer service at Paradigm Electronics. I had purchased $8500.00 worth of Studio Reference speakers including a Servo 15v1 subwoofer. After 1 month the sub developed a an internal rattle which could not be fixed by my dealer so it was sent to Paradigm and they sent me a new unit. The new unit had obvious defects in the cabinet, chipped wood around the driver opening as well as 2 places where the laminate had separated from the wood. I sent the sub back to Paradigm and after more than 2 months their response was the sub had water damage and all they were willing to do was "fill" the areas and send it back to me. They sent me photos of the repair job and I told them that it was not acceptable to me. Since the v1 was no longer made they said there was nothing they would do. I offered to pay the difference for a new v3 model but they would not consider that as an option and just sent the sub back to me. I have posted pictures of the sub at www.prophotographics.ca/paradigm.htm for people to see what they have sent me. Their final comment was to leave the grill on and nobody will notice. In my opinion this is just not good enough. This is an expensive piece of equipment and I think I deserve to be treated better. So if you are thinking about purchasing Paradigm equipment, go ahead, if you don't mind dealing with lousey customer service when you need it! Come on Paradigm, remember it is us, the little consumer who keeps you in business. I don't know where to go from here so if anyone has any comments or suggestion I would appreciate it.....
Just to clarify, you purchased the system new from dealer?

T

Tallcane

Junior Audioholic
Brian, are they alleging you are the cause of the defect and not them? Did you cause the defect? How long did you have the product before making your claim?

If it is clearly their fault then I think you should argue in a letter to them that they have a duty to replace this product as they sold you a damaged product. I would not give up on this issue.

B

Brianphoto

Audioholic Intern
Yes the system was purchased form a dealer new. Paradigm claims there must have been water damage. If there was there would be water stains on the cone or elsewhere. It is just an excuse to get away with a repair and not a replacement. I have sent many emails to them and this is the only action I have left, to let others know about my experience. I wouldn't want others to go through the same.

Tempest

Tempest

Junior Audioholic
Not Good

If I were to guess, the replacement sub they sent you was something that didn't pass final inspection and they thought they could just take the opportunity to pass it off. I would be pissed as much as you! :mad:

I would stay on this until you get what you want. Get the dealer involved and make enough waves to get the attention of someone in the company who cares about their national/global reputation.

The fact that they made a lame attempt to repair the sub (I could have done a better job...really) is one thing. The fact that they wouldn't let you upgrade to one of their newer models is astonishing! That is customer disservice. :confused:

Last edited:
B

Brianphoto

Audioholic Intern
Tempest, thank you for your support. It is very difficult to take on big business by yourself and you can be assured I will keep going until I get satisfaction. I will also support any other consumers here who have problems with big corporations. A simple solution would have been to let me pay the difference for a new model, is this unfair or too much to ask?

Tempest

Tempest

Junior Audioholic
Not at all

No, it is not asking too much to ask for the option to upgrade. Jeez, they would be getting more of your money and keeping a customer happy. Someone at Paradigm is not thinking clearly and hopefully, you will reach someone there who sees the bigger picture.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
"A simple solution would have been to let me pay the difference for a new model, is this unfair or too much to ask?"

No, that's why I mentioned how you acted reasonably!

I was just thinking the same thing as Tempest. Sounds like you're dealing with an intern. Although I'm not at all a fan of Paradigm's sound, I am surprised by this.

B

Brianphoto

Audioholic Intern
Exactly, I told them of my plans to upgrade ot studio 100's and move my 40's to the back. This means giving Paradigm another 2000.00+. I still would do it if this can get resolved. I have no problem with the sound quality from the Paradigms.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Don't know where you're located, but you might want to contact your state department of consumer affairs. I filed a complaint against a major global manufacturer about a problem I was having and within two weeks had a phone call from the head of the US division. That was after the e-mail, telephone route. Costs nothing.

Mort

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I hope you can delve a little further and find someone helpful. I know a lot of people like Paradigm, so it would be a drag for someone interested in them to not to give them a try, due to bad customer support.

B

Brianphoto

Audioholic Intern
Cornelius, I hope so too as I am a fan of Paradigm as well. But customer service has to go along with it and this is my first dealings with them for service.

B

Brianphoto

Audioholic Intern
UPDATE: Just received an email from Mark Aling at Paradigm. He informs me that I should take the sub to a cabinet maker and have it repaird. He said they may cover the cost of the repair providing I supply an estimate first! Can you believe that? Can you imagine getting a cabinet maker to take your $2000.00 sub apart and try to repair it? Anyway, at least they are talking to me again, maybe they are reading the posts here. Thanks again for all of your support thus far....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Brian;

I am sorry to hear that, but at least its something. I never heard of a speaker company doing that, but I guess we learn something new every day.

PS. If you do go this route, I recommend taking the woofer and amp out before bringing it to the cabinet person. Also veryify if Paradigm will still honor the warranty on this product thereafter.

Tempest

Tempest

Junior Audioholic
Repair

Not that you want to go this route, but a really talented craftsman can repair the flaws to the point were you won't be able to see them without a magnifying glass. :cool:

I would still look for better customer service than that…it still throws the ball back in your court. However, getting it repaired locally will take a lot less time and you are in control of the situation.

You will need to go over Mark Aling’s head if you want to get more/better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis