Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
aukevin said:
This thread has been a good read for me. I am going through the process of finding a good pair of front speakers and I have really been focused on Paradigms and Polks. It's good to see I'm not the only one.

From reading this thread it seems more people lean toward the Paradigms. I can't afford the Studios, so I've been looking at the Paradigm Monitor series and the Polk Rti10. I haven't seen any recommendations for the Polk Monitor series, why is that? Are they not good? The Rti12's are a little high for me too.

I have a Denon 2805 receiver. Will the Paradigm Monitor series sound good on that? Unfortunately the 11's seem a little high priced for me. The dealer near me told me they would be $1100 for the pair. I have seen the Polk Rti10 for around $800. Maybe a different Monitor would be better for me in the Paradigm line, like the 7 or 9. I have a sub, but it isn't very powerful, it will be on my list to replace eventually. I don't remember the model of my sub, it is a Yahama, ST-880 maybe? I'm not sure.

I need speakers that will be good for TV and DVD watching. I don't listen to CDs on my system.

What would you guys recommend for a ~$800 price range on a pair of floorstanding speakers?

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin,

Why do you want floor standers if you are only going to watch tv and dvd. You need to invest in a high quality center speaker, not floorstanders. Get the BIC center model 62 with dual 6.5" woofers, then build around that. You can get the BIC towers, then the BIC surrounds all for under $800. They also make a nice 12" sub. BIC is the absolute best speaker you can buy for the money on a budget, espeically for HT if you're not concerned with two channel music. If I didn't get such a steal on my Polk system - which sounds fantastic, I would have bought all BIC. Not many guys on this forum are familiar with BIC. I wish one of the editors would demo them b/c they are such a buy for the money. Kind of like Axiom but so much less expensive. Their $99 center channel sounds as good as my $480 Polk CSi5, no joke. And I am very critical of sound. I have an older model of the DV62si bookshelves, and they are stunning in looks and sound.

www.bicamerica.com

go to www.shopzilla for pricing on the bic speakers

aukevin

aukevin

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Kevin,

Why do you want floor standers if you are only going to watch tv and dvd. You need to invest in a high quality center speaker, not floorstanders. Get the BIC center model 62 with dual 6.5" woofers, then build around that. You can get the BIC towers, then the BIC surrounds all for under $800. They also make a nice 12" sub. BIC is the absolute best speaker you can buy for the money on a budget, espeically for HT if you're not concerned with two channel music. If I didn't get such a steal on my Polk system - which sounds fantastic, I would have bought all BIC. Not many guys on this forum are familiar with BIC. I wish one of the editors would demo them b/c they are such a buy for the money. Kind of like Axiom but so much less expensive. Their $99 center channel sounds as good as my $480 Polk CSi5, no joke. And I am very critical of sound. I have an older model of the DV62si bookshelves, and they are stunning in looks and sound.

www.bicamerica.com

go to www.shopzilla for pricing on the bic speakers
Thanks for the advice, I will look into BIC as well.

The reason I want floorstanding ones is because my bookshelf Paradigms that I've had for 6 years recently got damaged because it got knocked off its stand. I don't want that to happen again, and I also like the looks of floorstanding ones. I have a Paradigm center channel (they are all from the Titan series).

What you mentioned is something that I've been wondering about. I want speakers for DVDs not music and I want to make sure I don't get the wrong type speaker.

The reason I initially was looking at the Paradigm Monitors is because I have had the Paradigms for a while and really like them. I was hoping the Monitors would match my center channel enough that I don't have to buy a new one of them right away (maybe 6 months to a year down the road).

I just don't know much about speakers so I'm doing a lot of research, but still am lost on some issues.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, new model Paradigm is overpriced like Polk. If you can find a former model year on clearance, they are a good deal. They both sound great. I'm surprised the Polk RTi's havent come down more in price. Circuit City discounted the heck out of them this past fall and winter. I've found you don't need to pay top dollar for new speakers for great sound. It sounds to me like you need a new sub and towers. How did your's get knocked over? That blows. I guess rather than start all over, seeing how you have a center channel, I would surf around on ebay and try to find some good Paradigm towers slightly used for about half your budget price. That way your system will at least be somewhat timber matched (higher frequencies mesh). If finding the higher end Paradigm towers seems like its not possible, then I'd consider a new BIC center and towers. I've also heard good things about Athena, although for some reason Best Buy is pulling them from shelves. Have fun searching, and do a lot of in store listening. You'll find a lot of great deals out there. Just take a few cd's you're familiar with on your search.

aukevin

aukevin

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Honestly, new model Paradigm is overpriced like Polk. If you can find a former model year on clearance, they are a good deal. They both sound great. I'm surprised the Polk RTi's havent come down more in price. Circuit City discounted the heck out of them this past fall and winter. I've found you don't need to pay top dollar for new speakers for great sound. It sounds to me like you need a new sub and towers. How did your's get knocked over? That blows. I guess rather than start all over, seeing how you have a center channel, I would surf around on ebay and try to find some good Paradigm towers slightly used for about half your budget price. That way your system will at least be somewhat timber matched (higher frequencies mesh). If finding the higher end Paradigm towers seems like its not possible, then I'd consider a new BIC center and towers. I've also heard good things about Athena, although for some reason Best Buy is pulling them from shelves. Have fun searching, and do a lot of in store listening. You'll find a lot of great deals out there. Just take a few cd's you're familiar with on your search.
One of my cats knocked over the speaker. It really made mad. I'll try to get it repaired because I wanted to use them as my side speakers in a 7.1 setup. Paradigms don't seem to be on eBay very often, but I'll keep looking. I liked the prices of the BIC's, I need to find some in a store around here. I'll probably hit Best Buy this weekend and see some Athena's and see if Circuit City has any Rti speakers. I'm suppose to stay away from Polk Monitors right? Next week I'm gonna go listen to some Paradigm towers. Hopefully I can narrow my search down soon.

Thanks for all the advice.

A

asethi

Enthusiast
i have listened to both and my bias towards paradigm might be due to salesman not shutting up and not allowing me to th listen to the monitor series but anywayz herez my 2 cents on it:

Monitor 7's: they seemed to be a bit bright for my taste and had too much bass in them. i like laid bk speakers that arent too bright unlike Kliph's horn technology(very bright).
Polk: the polks also seemed to have a little too much bass and were also somewhat bright but they did sound sorta rich. i listened to two towers and did like it compared to the paradigms. in terms of efficiency the paradigms are much better. in the end i got energy conssieur speakers which i really liked and are very efficient and produce a great image well thas my opinion

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
I've owned the Polk RTi series. I had the RTi8s. The 8s have better mid-range than the RTi10s. The CSi3 that I had was a very lacking center channel speaker. Not good with the dialogue at all. The CSi5 was too deep for my shelves, or I would have had that instead.

I'm now running the BIC (Acoustech) speakers in the front with my system. At 1/2 the price of the Polks, I still think the sound is better from the BICs. Many people overlook the BIC speakers because:

1) They are probably not sold locally by any of your audio shops.
2) Their cheap price keeps people from trying them because they think they are cheaply built speakers.

However, Paradigm has a great following. But, with their monitor line - and below, the cabinets are not even built out of MDF. MDF is a dirt cheap product, however, why doesn't Paradigm use it for their lower line?

Lastly, let your ears be the judge. Over the past 5 weeks or so, here's what I've had in my home:

- Polk RTi8, CSi3 speakers.
- Klipsch RF-35, RC-35 speakers.
- Axiom MTi22, VP150 speakers.
- Acoustech L, R and center speakers.

The Acoustech speakers are the ones I liked the best. They are what I've kept. They make my ears quite happy. When it comes to movie performance, the center channel speaker (at $119 or so) has very good dialogue. The speakers are very clear for home theater use and do an excellent job.

Just my .02

H

HDTV4ME

Audioholic Intern
MacManNM said:
here's the deal, the polks are power pigs, and I've heard nothing good about the paradigm. Save yourself some hastle, just buy 6 BIC dv62-clr's. Get the crossover mods done and it will sound great, and have quite a high Q.
Nothing good about paradigm?In it's price range,you can't go wrong with paradigm.I had the studio 60v2 and switched to the 20v3.The 60's were great but the 20v3 are better.I thing the 20's would have the edge over the monitor 7's but that's just my opinion.

toshiba 65h-82
denon 4802r
denon 2800mk11
studio 20's
cc470
adp470
pw2200

aukevin

aukevin

Audiophyte
T2T said:
I've owned the Polk RTi series. I had the RTi8s. The 8s have better mid-range than the RTi10s. The CSi3 that I had was a very lacking center channel speaker. Not good with the dialogue at all. The CSi5 was too deep for my shelves, or I would have had that instead.

I'm now running the BIC (Acoustech) speakers in the front with my system. At 1/2 the price of the Polks, I still think the sound is better from the BICs. Many people overlook the BIC speakers because:

1) They are probably not sold locally by any of your audio shops.
2) Their cheap price keeps people from trying them because they think they are cheaply built speakers.

However, Paradigm has a great following. But, with their monitor line - and below, the cabinets are not even built out of MDF. MDF is a dirt cheap product, however, why doesn't Paradigm use it for their lower line?

Lastly, let your ears be the judge. Over the past 5 weeks or so, here's what I've had in my home:

- Polk RTi8, CSi3 speakers.
- Klipsch RF-35, RC-35 speakers.
- Axiom MTi22, VP150 speakers.
- Acoustech L, R and center speakers.

The Acoustech speakers are the ones I liked the best. They are what I've kept. They make my ears quite happy. When it comes to movie performance, the center channel speaker (at $119 or so) has very good dialogue. The speakers are very clear for home theater use and do an excellent job.

Just my .02
I did some looking around at the BIC speakers, and like what I see online with the Venturi series, the DV62CLR-s center and the DV84 towers. Would anyone recommend those? Have you listened to the Venturi series or just the Acoustech? Thanks!

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Nothing good about Paradigm??

"here's the deal, the polks are power pigs, and I've heard nothing good about the paradigm." :rolleyes:

Please link me to a poor review of my studio 60 v3s. While you at it link poor reviews of other Paradigms while you are at it. :p

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
aukevin said:
I did some looking around at the BIC speakers, and like what I see online with the Venturi series, the DV62CLR-s center and the DV84 towers. Would anyone recommend those? Have you listened to the Venturi series or just the Acoustech? Thanks!

I have the DV 62CLR center and I love it, I was going to buy 2 more and use them for the L&R too. A friend of mine has the Venturi DV 84's, he really likes them. You'll have a hard time finding somewhere to listen to them, I bought my center without listening to it, based on the reviews, and I'm glad I did.

H

HDTV4ME

Audioholic Intern
Please link me to a poor review of my studio 60 v3s. While you at it link poor reviews of other Paradigms while you are at it. :p[/QUOTE]

Don't think you can find too many bad reviews on paradigm.Also,when I said I liked the 20's better than the 60's,I was talking about the 20's v3 compaired to the 60's v2.I hope to have a pair of 60's v3 in the near future.The v2 sound amazing but I like the tweeter on the v3.

81orangeZ28

Enthusiast
Paradigm---need anyone say anymore

I am not saying Paradigm is the best sounding speaker on the market. But dollar for dollar they could very well be considered one of the best speakers on the market. You could spend twice what you pay for say the Monitor 7's and only hear minimal difference in sound quality. But then again sound quality is determined by the person auditioning the speakers. The decision lies with in you. Purchase what pleases you the most and try not to listen to other people very objective opinions. If you don't buy what you want you will always be second guessing you decision. Post-Purchase behavior is a bi@ch.
My whole system consists of Paradigm with the exception of the sub. I have not once questioned my decision. I had a budget to spend $3000 on just the main speakers and ended up with a pair of $800 Monitor 7's. Heck I ended up with a whole system that would rival most mid to high end set ups for less than what I was going to pay for two speakers.
The only quirk I could find about Paradigm, specifically the Monitor series is their asthetics. They aren't very flashy compared to some others in there price range.
Good Luck

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
I have the Polk RTi12's in the front, Polk RTi6's in the back. I also have a Denon 3805. I have never experienced what Buckeye is talking about regarding the heat. Then again, I also have a NAD 2200 on the lows of the 12's...But even before I got that, I never experienced heat with the Denon 3805. And besides, you expect it to be warm a little. My old Technics receiver got so hot i could fry an egg on it.

Buying Paradigm's lowest end compared to Polk is a no brainer to me...buy the Polks. I also recommend the RTI8's over the 10's by a country mile. The 8's are the same as my 12's less the woofers, which after you get a good sub, won't matter. The 10's are known for lack of midbass and the highs are nowhere near as detailed as my 12's or the 8's. I have had all 3 at my house and did extensive comparisons. And if my word isn't enough, go to the Polk Audio website forums and read it yourself. The 8's are great.
Agreed....I have Paradigm Monitor 3 V1 & Polk monitor 5B / Circa 1989 behind my killer Denon PMA 757 amp / Circa 1984....all in excellent condition....the Paradigms are solid quality speakers but the Polks are much more dynamic, efficient & easier to drive ...the Polks & this 80WPC Denon amp are a perfect match.....loud & clear!

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
This thread has been a good read for me. I am going through the process of finding a good pair of front speakers and I have really been focused on Paradigms and Polks. It's good to see I'm not the only one.

From reading this thread it seems more people lean toward the Paradigms. I can't afford the Studios, so I've been looking at the Paradigm Monitor series and the Polk Rti10. I haven't seen any recommendations for the Polk Monitor series, why is that? Are they not good? The Rti12's are a little high for me too.

I have a Denon 2805 receiver. Will the Paradigm Monitor series sound good on that? Unfortunately the 11's seem a little high priced for me. The dealer near me told me they would be $1100 for the pair. I have seen the Polk Rti10 for around $800. Maybe a different Monitor would be better for me in the Paradigm line, like the 7 or 9. I have a sub, but it isn't very powerful, it will be on my list to replace eventually. I don't remember the model of my sub, it is a Yahama, ST-880 maybe? I'm not sure.

I need speakers that will be good for TV and DVD watching. I don't listen to CDs on my system.

What would you guys recommend for a ~$800 price range on a pair of floorstanding speakers?

Thanks!

Kevin
My Denon PMA 757 from 1984 & Polk monitor 5s from 1989...kick ass!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed....I have Paradigm Monitor 3 V1 & Polk monitor 5B / Circa 1989 behind my killer Denon PMA 757 amp / Circa 1984....all in excellent condition....the Paradigms are solid quality speakers but the Polks are much more dynamic, efficient & easier to drive ...the Polks & this 80WPC Denon amp are a perfect match.....loud & clear!
Any particular reason you felt like revisiting this old thread lol
You may as well make a new one the same topic if so included the op is 1-2-3 Cancun who knows when he’s coming back ???if ever

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis