N

nelson57

Enthusiast
I am looking to upgrade my HT system, and unfortunately am unable to do a in person comparison in my area because none of the retailers carry both lines. Therefore I am looking to this forum for opinions. Here are the two system setups under consideration:

Polk Audio:
RTI8 Front L/R
CSI5 Center
FXi3 Surround
RTI4 Rear
vs.
Paradigm:
Monitor 7 Front L/R
CC370 Center
ADP 370 Surround
Mini Monitor Rear

I will be powering the system with an Onkyo 602 receiver, along with 1 HSU-STF-2, and 1Velodyne CHT-10 subwoofer.

Any feedback on these two systems would be greatly appreciated.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I have the exact Polk set up you mentioned, except I have the RTi10's instead of the 8's. I bought them on a super clearance/scratch n dent sale at Circuit City. I have a Denon 3805 120x7 amp powering them. My friend has a Denon 2803 running a Paradigm 7.1 set up. His Paradigms are much more efficient than my Polks, even with his older, less powerful receiver. Polks are very inneficient, because the drivers are made so well. It's very hard to blow a Polk driver unless its with distortion. It takes so much to get mine going that my receiver runs hot - thus had to install a ventilation fan in the cabinet. With your Onkyo, it will run even hotter with Polks. This is a no brainer -at least to me. Go with the Paradigm set up unless you are getting a killer deal like I did. I love the sound, just not the heat. I think I got all 7 speakers for under $850. Had I found a Paradigm set up in that range, I would have bought them instead. Sounds like you are going to have some killer bass either way you go!

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I have the Polk RTi12's in the front, Polk RTi6's in the back. I also have a Denon 3805. I have never experienced what Buckeye is talking about regarding the heat. Then again, I also have a NAD 2200 on the lows of the 12's...But even before I got that, I never experienced heat with the Denon 3805. And besides, you expect it to be warm a little. My old Technics receiver got so hot i could fry an egg on it.

Buying Paradigm's lowest end compared to Polk is a no brainer to me...buy the Polks. I also recommend the RTI8's over the 10's by a country mile. The 8's are the same as my 12's less the woofers, which after you get a good sub, won't matter. The 10's are known for lack of midbass and the highs are nowhere near as detailed as my 12's or the 8's. I have had all 3 at my house and did extensive comparisons. And if my word isn't enough, go to the Polk Audio website forums and read it yourself. The 8's are great.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I can't speak for JC - he may not be running a full 7.1 setup. Driving all 7 channels makes a difference. He also may have been cutting out his woofers on his RTi12's at 80hz and relying on a subwoofer for all his lower bass. It takes power to supply bass. He may have better ventilation in his rack - mine has very little and needs a cooling fan. I also can't speak for the size of his room, or his listening preferences. I can speak for the number of reviews on the RTi10's though. He is just one opinion. Read the 38 opinions on them and decide for yourself. He has two amps driving his setup. You will have one Onkyo 602 receiver. C'mon folks.

www.polkaudio.com/home/library/reviews/customers.php?category=3&speaker=348

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Sorry Buckeye if I sounded like I was dissing your 10"s. I wasn't. Speakers are personal preference and a little research doesn't hurt. My research found what i heard, the 8's and 12's sounded similar less the woofers. Polk website forums really helped me. I am glad you like your 10's. I still feel i could have done better for my money than buying the 12's. Not saying they're junk, and "settling" with a $1700 speaker sounds pretty arrogant really.

My set up is like this: Small condo, (for now, girlfriend and I are looking to buy a house if anything decent comes up in our city for under $450,000), hardwood floors (bad for room acoustics) ...Polk RTI 12's in the front, RTi6's in the back, Polk Csi40 centre...blew up my Polk PSW 404 last week and you have probably seen my other threads that i am looking for a new sub....either Hsu SF3, SVS PB10, or PSB 6i..Denon 3805 ..speakers were on large, "LFE and MAIN" and crossover at 100hz. Then I set speakers to SMALL, changed crossover to 80hz....put in Master and Commander, and POOF!! blew the sub. I have been auditioning this PSB 6i and now I see why people recommend "SMALL at 80hz" ...with a good sub, that's where they should be. My 404 sucked and the RTI12's were better on Large. I bought a NAD 2200 power amp, used for $200...put it on the fronts, way too bright...put it on the lows only, sounds great now. Still not what i thought these 12's would be but I am settling LOL..I don't have very much room in my rack either, but I don't really feel this heat you speak of. I didn't think the Denon would ever be a problem with this?

N

nelson57

Enthusiast
I was under the impression that the Cinema Series was Paradigms low end not the Monitor series. The reason I was looking at these two was because I thought they were the middle series for both companies.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
This is true...the Monitor series is the middle road for Paradigm, with their Signature and Studio rounding out the upper end. Cinema isn't actually the lowest, it's there stab at a "micro" system. The Performance series is considered their lower offering.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
When I heard the Monitor 5,7,9, I thought the bass quality was a bit "loose". The Studio series is like night and day compared to the Monitors in that respect.

N

nelson57

Enthusiast
I agree warpdrive, the Studio series would be ideal, but they are out of my price range, so I am making my choice between Paradigm Monitor and Polk RTI.

I have heard the Paradigm Monitors series, as there are several dealers in my area. In terms of Polk, all of the dealers carry the Polk Monitor series, but not the RTi line.

Dumar

Audioholic
I've been listening to my Monitor 7's for several years now and I'm still amazed at how good they sound. I drive them with an older (cool running) Yamaha (RX-V793) and listen to a wide variety of music at both high and low volume: they never fail to rise to the occasion. I recently added a CC370, and Mini Monitors, and am negotiating with my Paradigm guy on a PS1200 sub (man is it ever big and scary). I've been so pleased with the 7's that buying more Paradigm gear just seemed obvious to me. For me, considering past experience, price point, and where they're made, it's an obvious choice.

N

nelson57

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone, I think I'll be going with the Paradigm Monitor series. Will pay a visit to my dealer later today.

B

bhrvatin

Enthusiast
I went back and forth with Polk and Paradigm for about two months and finally ended up with the Paradigm Studio 60s. I am very happy with them, they are every bit worth $1600. But I did quite a bit of listening at lower price levels (my budget increased drastically during my auditioning process.) Overall, I preferred the Paradigm sound to the Polk sound, but that's just me and everyone has a different set of ears(I hope mine aren't deficient at the frequencies of the crash cymbals I used to stand next to in a 8'x8' practice space!)

So I'll give you in chronological order what I listened to and what I thought was special about each speaker. Let me advise you that I listen to mostly music and I'm HIGHLY critical when it comes to evaluating the accuracy of a loudspeaker as I was a musician in a "past life":

RTi6 - nice bookshelf, decent bass extension for this size cabinet. Acoustic guitar sounded a little bright, but fun to listen to.
RTi8 - Ok, these are like the RTi6 but with better bass extension, slightly more musical, probably not working as hard to produce bass resulting in more detailed mids.
RTi10 - Something wasn't doing it for me with the 10s. I thought they were less accurate than the 8s. I guess I would call them "in your face", I kept thinking to myself that I would probably like them more if I was more into HT. Not bad though.
LSi7 - Scrap the RTi6s, these are worth the extra money! Way better sound, much more relaxed in the mids. Made the RTi series seem bright. Not fair to compare them to the RTi8s, completely different loudspeakers.
LSi9 - These are even more musical(accurate/defined/dynamic) than the LSi7s, but why are these cabinets so big? Without a doubt the best Polk bookshelves and the price to match.
Paradigm Monitor 7 v4 - These remind me VERY MUCH of my old 11s. I wish I could have A/B'd these with the Polk LSi9s, it would have made for an interesting comparison.
Paradigm Monitor 5 v4 - All I remember thinking was that I preferred the 7s and I thought the LSi were a little bit more musical that this speaker. (I think I had started to steer slightly towards the Monitor 7s from the Polk RTi series, but I probably would have went with the LSi9s)

At this point, my budget bumped up. Yay for more money!

Paradigm Studio 20s - After hearing these, I knew that I was on track to buy Paradigm. Stereo imaging was WAY beyond anything I listened to previously. I liked this tweeter better than the LSis too, cymbals, acoustic guitar and string instruments seemed more accurate than with the LSis. How I would have loved to A/B these with the LSi9s!
Paradigm Studio 40s - I liked these about as much as the 60s, but I felt the price differential between the two was minimal when you consider the matching Paradigm stands. The addition of the bass driver seemed to allow the midrange to relax a bit compared to the 20s.
Paradigm Studio 60s - All the Studios I listened to were EXTREMELY close in timbre, the only differences being in midrange "presence" for lack of a better term and bass extension. Bass extension and the mids of the 40s and 60s did it for me. Of course, the 60s are only $100 more than the 40s w/stands. The first time I heard the first movement of LvBs 9th on the 60s, I was emotionally attached to these speakers. I can recall listening to giant MLs and B&W 802s of yesterday and not being as emotionally moved by the music. Boom, that was it, here's my $1600, thanks I have to run home now and listen to all my CDs again to experience them in a new way...

Before I pulled the trigger on the Studio 60s, I went back and gave the LSi15s a listen. I didn't think they were worth the money when I had the Studio 40s as a point of reference. The whole LSi line I thought was fairly accurate, but the Paradigms at the same price point were better performers.

Most of the auditioning was with Denon AVR-2805 or 3805s. I used only three different CDs when auditioning and only one track on each - Radiohead OK Computer (Paranoid Android), Deutsche Gram. 1977 Karajan recording (SWEET SACD transfer) of Beethovens 9th Symphony(First movement) and Workin' with Miles Davis (Four).

(I am a previous owner of Paradigm 11seMkIIIs. I ROCKED those speakers to no end years ago, but I have since become a more "mature" listener. I liked the neutrality of the 11s and the bass extension was more than adequate for 99% of music. After years of listening, I felt that the mids were slightly scooped. Very slightly. This was one deficiency of the 11s. I also had found that they didn't image as well as some of the B&W and Mirage I have listened to in friends homes.)

I am of the persuasion that if a loudspeaker can accurately reproduce music, it should have no problem with HT, minus LFE. For all the HT listening I've done at home, the Paradigm Studios have impressed me.

With both manufacturers, I was impressed with how much more speaker you got for $1k+ compared to $500. Having spent $900 on my 11ses long ago, I thought that $1k was a nice ceiling, with no need to go above. (Once I had the budget, I was conviced otherwise.)

So if you're into HT and not music, you can pretty much disregard the entire post! jk :)

-Bart

Denon AVR-3805
Sony NS-775P
Paradigm Studio 60, CC-470, SA-25s
Sony 60WF655
(You tell me what sub to buy, I am sick of subjectively auditioning these damn speakers...)

M

Martymilton

Enthusiast
I have been a happy owner of Monitor 7's for almost seven years. I own version 1s and am thinking about either purchasing version 4 Monitor 7's or move up to Studio 20s. Any suggestions?

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
hey bhrvatin:

thanks for that post...very informative..I picked up the RTI6's for $400 a few weeks ago to match my RTI 12's. They seem like a goor rear speaker . I never heard the Paradigms so i won't say if they are better or not....Did you happen to listen to the RTI12's? In hindsight I would have gone for the LSi15's and paid the extra. i have read they are a great speaker (Never see them here in stores) in their price class..especially for music. You are correct in saying the RTI series is bright. But some people's ears take bright as "detail"..Especially those with hearing loss in the high frequency range like I have :)

did you happen to listen to

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
Martymilton said:
I have been a happy owner of Monitor 7's for almost seven years. I own version 1s and am thinking about either purchasing version 4 Monitor 7's or move up to Studio 20s. Any suggestions?
I would suggest you listen to them.
I personally think the studio 60 or 100 is more of an upgrade when compared the the V.4 Monitor-7. The 20's do sound great but when comparing these the the Monitor-7 you need to jump up a little more. The Studio-60 would be a great "upgrade". I auditioned the 20,60, and 7 side-by-side. The 7 is in my HT now at least for another 6 months until the 60's replace them. But no matter what you choose you wont be disappointed :)

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Is price no object?

I've done the Para-Polka dance myself a few times...I own the Polk LSi15's as fronts, buts only because I didn't have the extra $700 to get the Studio 100s at the time. I have a larger room (about 25x15) so I needed more than bookshelves. My other speakers are the LSiC, and the FXi3's as rears.

I too have a Denon 3805 but now the LSi15's are being driven seperately by and ATI 1502 (225x2 @ 4ohms). When I had all 5 Polks going on the 3805 it did run a bit hot...but consider that 3 of my Polks are 4 ohms with with 87db effeciency. With the ATI's now on the fronts the Denon is cool running.

I listened to all of the Polk floor standers (RTi and LSi) as well as the Paradigm Studios. I'd rank them in this order:

Studio 100's (couldn't afford them...should saved and waited)
Polk LSi15(Love them, great for price, will drain your AVR...need amp)
Studio 80(Not bad...just not quite enough bass for me)
Studio 60(ditto...but a better bargain)
Polk RTi10(sound decent...but overpriced IMO)
Polk RTi12(waaaaay overpriced...don't sound better than 10's IMO, too bright)
Polk LSi25(active bass drivers sound muddy and artificial, most expesive)
Polk RTi8(no bass what so ever...but pretty cheap)

If you've got the dosh go with the 100's. The 60's may be the best bargain option.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Polk vs paradigm

here's the deal, the polks are power pigs, and I've heard nothing good about the paradigm. Save yourself some hastle, just buy 6 BIC dv62-clr's. Get the crossover mods done and it will sound great, and have quite a high Q.

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
MacManNM said:
here's the deal, the polks are power pigs, and I've heard nothing good about the paradigm. Save yourself some hastle, just buy 6 BIC dv62-clr's. Get the crossover mods done and it will sound great, and have quite a high Q.
So that's it then :rolleyes:

Paradigm and Polk all suck ;)

It's funny, when ever I read reviews and comparisons involving Paradigm - they seem to outperform most others in it's price class. So please show me a bad review - otherwise..... :)

B

bhrvatin

Enthusiast
cownd said:
I would suggest you listen to them.
I personally think the studio 60 or 100 is more of an upgrade when compared the the V.4 Monitor-7. The 20's do sound great but when comparing these the the Monitor-7 you need to jump up a little more. The Studio-60 would be a great "upgrade". I auditioned the 20,60, and 7 side-by-side. The 7 is in my HT now at least for another 6 months until the 60's replace them. But no matter what you choose you wont be disappointed :)
My thoughts exactly. The Studio 60s are more similar in nature to 7s compared with the 20s, which are not really in the same class. (The 7s and the 60s are both 2 1/2-way floorstanding, whereas the 20s are a 2-way bookshelf.) Get the 60s, you will be HAPPY!

I also listened briefly to the 100s and the LSi25s, but they were considerably out of my price range, so I didn't take them seriously (my auditions of those two were more for a point of reference.) Also, I have read in other forums that the 100s like big amps.

I also saved a little money by installing the SA-25s for my surrounds in the rear wall rather than the Studio ADP-470s. I am pretty happy with their performance, I think they're great for HT because I sit far off axis and they are fairly wide dispersion. As a result I get de-localized surround effects, which I think works pretty well to "suspend the disbelief".

aukevin

aukevin

Audiophyte
This thread has been a good read for me. I am going through the process of finding a good pair of front speakers and I have really been focused on Paradigms and Polks. It's good to see I'm not the only one.

From reading this thread it seems more people lean toward the Paradigms. I can't afford the Studios, so I've been looking at the Paradigm Monitor series and the Polk Rti10. I haven't seen any recommendations for the Polk Monitor series, why is that? Are they not good? The Rti12's are a little high for me too.

I have a Denon 2805 receiver. Will the Paradigm Monitor series sound good on that? Unfortunately the 11's seem a little high priced for me. The dealer near me told me they would be $1100 for the pair. I have seen the Polk Rti10 for around $800. Maybe a different Monitor would be better for me in the Paradigm line, like the 7 or 9. I have a sub, but it isn't very powerful, it will be on my list to replace eventually. I don't remember the model of my sub, it is a Yahama, ST-880 maybe? I'm not sure.

I need speakers that will be good for TV and DVD watching. I don't listen to CDs on my system.

What would you guys recommend for a ~$800 price range on a pair of floorstanding speakers?

Thanks!

Kevin

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis