Polk LSiM 707 are reduced to $1600/pair. Are they worth it?

L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern
This seems like a great price, but I've never heard this speaker. Any Polk LSiM 707 owners out there, could you please advise on quality issues? Thanks so much!

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
I recently bought a pair of 705s for a 2-ch rig. Love them. Gorgeous cabs.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
This seems like a great price, but I've never heard this speaker. Any Polk LSiM 707 owners out there, could you please advise on quality issues? Thanks so much!
Where are those for 1600? Which site? I looked can't find anywhere those 707's for that price.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Any speaker, amp, or component is only worth it if you are completely happy with them.

Otherwise, I wouldn't buy them regardless of sale price.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Where are those for 1600? Which site? I looked can't find anywhere those 707's for that price.
Adorama. Their discounts on the LSiM are pretty frequent, but I'm not sure how reputable Adorama is. I haven't bothered looking into their return policies either, which would be a good thing to do before pulling the trigger. In any case, see this Slickdeals post for the towers and other speakers in the series.

Any speaker, amp, or component is only worth it if you are completely happy with them.

Otherwise, I wouldn't buy them regardless of sale price.
I've not heard the LSiM series, but I've read that they're much better sounding than Polk's entry level crap Best Buy sells. They measure pretty well, and the center is a 3-way if I recall correctly.

Purple: towers; Green: center; Red: surrounds. (source: Sound and Vision)

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Adorama has had them on sale at these prices several times over the past year or two. Polk themselves have also had several half price sales on them the last few years (through their direct website, I think). Rumor is that they are gradually being cleared out for a newer lineup, but I haven't seen any official confirmation of that.

Adorama is a legit business, but I don't know about their return policy. I think buyer would have to pay return shipping, which would be a lot for large tower speakers, but I'm not sure about that.

I haven't heard them, but I've seen measurements that look pretty good from a couple of sites.

From what I've read on various forums, people don't think they're worth their original list price, but do think they're worth the sale price. That's purely opinion, so should be taken with the usual pound of salt.

L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern
Adorama has had them on sale at these prices several times over the past year or two. Polk themselves have also had several half price sales on them the last few years (through their direct website, I think). Rumor is that they are gradually being cleared out for a newer lineup, but I haven't seen any official confirmation of that.

Adorama is a legit business, but I don't know about their return policy. I think buyer would have to pay return shipping, which would be a lot for large tower speakers, but I'm not sure about that.

I haven't heard them, but I've seen measurements that look pretty good from a couple of sites.

From what I've read on various forums, people don't think they're worth their original list price, but do think they're worth the sale price. That's purely opinion, so should be taken with the usual pound of sa

From what I've read on various forums, people don't think they're worth their original list price, but do think they're worth the sale price. That's purely opinion, so should be taken with the usual pound of salt.

Thanks, I've seen the Sound & Vision review and their measurements. Who else reviewed them with measurements? Please & thank you!

Last edited:
L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern
I recently bought a pair of Kef LS50 Wireless. I had them in the finished basement / carpeted rec room. They were swallowed up in that large space, even with 2 SVS SB2000s. I was ready to send them back to Crutchfield until I gave them a try upstairs in a smallish family room with a single SVS SB12NSD. Wow! I couldn't be happier with them now.

I had been pretty happy with my big Paradigm Studio 100v2s + the SB2000s in the basement, but hearing those Kefs, now I realize what I've been missing. Maybe I should invest in some sound absorbtion downstairs to attenuate the high frequencies. The Kefs sounded strident downstairs, as do the Paradigms. I thought my ears were going! But those Kefs in the setup upstairs have the sweetest mids & highs I've ever owned.

I still seem to have the upgrade bug, and those Polks look like a sweet deal, but I wonder if they will be smoother sounding than my Paradigms. Any thoughts guys?

Thanks again.
Kurt Schulwitz

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To OP question are they worth it? I'd say a short version of my standing opinion on Polk speakers:
Every Polk speaker series sucks (sound wise), except LSi and newer LSi/M. That said LSi and M are about 2x retail from where they should be to be competitive. I am too tired to check prices myself, but if $1600 for a pair of LSiM towers is half or less than their regular price then I say it's worth it.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Ah thanks, I'll check it out.
I read back when the 707 first came out Polk was passing around the 707 to some of their Forum members for beta testing so to speak, each member would have at least two weeks with a pair. I did inbox one of the members who had them for the two weeks. His opinion and very subjective as audio is, was they where very nice, but to him they sounded a lil bloated on the lower end. But hey that was his opinion. I had a pair of LSi-15's and can say the low-end was a lil bloated sounding.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have KEF speakers too. The R series floorstanders, center and surround in the larger living room, and LS50 passive (with a decent amp) in my smaller (10x12) office. My brother-in-law has the Polk LSiM floorstanding speakers in his living room setup and I find them to be rather bloated in midbass, dull tweeters.

Granted, I'm pretty sure it the old "classic" receiver he has with tone controls that he has maxed out for bass but the tweeters should sound better than they do. While I'm confident his Polk speakers could sound a whole lot better than they do, it's kind of turned me off on Polk. I would love to go in with my Umike1 and REW and show him how good it could sound, but he's the type that is convinced he's got the best and is happy with it.

L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern
I have KEF speakers too. The R series floorstanders, center and surround in the larger living room, and LS50 passive (with a decent amp) in my smaller (10x12) office. My brother-in-law has the Polk LSiM floorstanding speakers in his living room setup and I find them to be rather bloated in midbass, dull tweeters.

Granted, I'm pretty sure it the old "classic" receiver he has with tone controls that he has maxed out for bass but the tweeters should sound better than they do. While I'm confident his Polk speakers could sound a whole lot better than they do, it's kind of turned me off on Polk. I would love to go in with my Umike1 and REW and show him how good it could sound, but he's the type that is convinced he's got the best and is happy with it.
Yes, I've seen the older KEF R900s at reduced prices recently and are considering that option too. Accessories4less has refurbished Kefs. I bought my refurbed Integra processor last year from them for real cheap with a 2 year factory warranty. I've had no problem with it so far.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, I've seen the older KEF R900s at reduced prices recently and are considering that option too. Accessories4less has refurbished Kefs. I bought my refurbed Integra processor last year from them for real cheap with a 2 year factory warranty. I've had no problem with it so far.
Both my son and I have bought "factory recertified" KEF products from Accessories4Less.com as they and KEF Direct are the sole sources for those and other "B-stock" (open box) KEF products. His Q200c center speaker, the iQ10's he first bought me, his Q300's, and a set of KEF Egg (powered desktop speakers) were all as-new, right down to sealed heat-sealed or shrink wrappings.

Those KEF speakers have a 5 year warranty if new or recertified, but I've never heard of a failure. KEF Customer Support is so good that they've been know to send a friend a new LF driver and matching Acoustic Bass Resonator (passive radiator) to him long after warranty was out after one of his young children used a pencil to destroy them. Many similar stories too. They sent me the missing little rubber inserts for the plinths on the demo model R500's I'd bought from my dealer in late 2015.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I just checked that site like 3 seconds ago they still 2K each.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis