Plus and minus speaker cables

O

Omarr

Enthusiast
TRANSPARENT-SPEAKER-CABLE-ROLL-100-MTRS-0-5MM-18-AWG.jpg
Hey guys,

Really dumb question,

I've got transparent cables for my speakers, one of the two has a black line, found an image of it on google.

Is this one supposed to go into minus/black? I heard the seller say it goes into plus, either that or I misunderstood him...

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The black stripe is just a hint so that you can be sure the proper conductor is connected to either positive or negative at both ends. It makes no difference if you use the striped conductor for positive or negative.

O

Omarr

Enthusiast
The black stripe is just a hint so that you can be sure the proper conductor is connected to either positive or negative at both ends. It makes no difference if you use the striped conductor for positive or negative.
Haha just heard that from a friend, gonna remove this topic its too stupid to exist.

Don't know how to remove it...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Haha just heard that from a friend, gonna remove this topic its too stupid to exist.

Don't know how to remove it...
You can't remove it. And there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Craig Gordon

Craig Gordon

Junior Audioholic
See the arrows on the speaker cable? They do nothing...

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yikes! If you connect the wire backwards (with arrow pointing toward the receiver) the electricity will flow the wrong way and blow up the receiver. ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yikes! If you connect the wire backwards (with arrow pointing toward the receiver) the electricity will flow the wrong way and blow up the receiver. ;)
That would only happen at every half cycle. ;) Right way the other half. :D

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

We missed the opportunity to enlighten the OP a bit further. While I agree in the above, the reason having all your speakers connected the same (all positive to the black lead as in this case, or all negative) is so the various drivers in the speaker cabinets (most noticeable for bass drivers) all move in the same direction at the same time. When folks incorrectly wire their speakers the phasing is incorrect and the first thing you'd notice is the bass lacks the impact it normally would have.;)

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
It doesn't actually matter how you connect your amp and speakers provided both are the same (whichever you connect to positive (+) at the amp is the same one you would connect positive (+) at the speaker) but convention is any marking is hooked up hot (+). In your case I would use the one marked with the line as positive (+).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't actually matter how you connect your amp and speakers provided both are the same (whichever you connect to positive (+) at the amp is the same one you would connect positive (+) at the speaker) but convention is any marking is hooked up hot (+). In your case I would use the one marked with the line as positive (+).
I tend to do the same thing, whether it's the ridged side of a cable, when not marked, or the printed one; just for consistency's sake so I don't have to remember different connection methods....

ps ...that would be cable that has a ridged vs smooth sided cable when unmarked.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis