Plug the sub into the wall or powerbar?

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Maybe a bit of a newbie question, but is it better to plug the sub, Hsu STF 3, into the wall directly if you have an available plug, or into the Tripplite Powerbar 10 I have? My theory is, why put the added strain on that powerbar as this sub is huge....or is that theory all wrong? The powerbar has some fancy lights to tell you when you are pushing it too hard....my last sub was plugged in there and it blew. :confused:

JC

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
sorry..this question should have gone in the set up forums...

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
always into the surge protector.

The reason is pretty simple. If you did not plug into the surge protector, and you had the dreaded lightning strike hit your home, the surge would flow through the power cord, into the amp of the sub, out through the signal cable back into the suboutput of the unprotected receiver.

Unprotected receiver, because the outputs of the receiver would not be protected by the surge protector.

There are separate "sub" surge protectors. The idea is that your sub may be located a long distance from the main surge protector. Personally, any decent $25 surge protector with the built in line conditioner is all you need for the sub.

What component failed in the past? The sub or the surge protector?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I plug my sub into my surge protector, and my projector, and my receiver too. No problems for me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis