Plex has completely blown me away!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
PLEX does hdr passthrough.

Using the Shield, PLEX sends HDR, lossless audio, immersive audio, etc. everything but Dolby Vision.

Using the AppleTV, PLEX sends HDR, but has to transcode to DD+ audio.

Using the AppleTV and the Infuse app, you can pull lossless audio as LPCM, and HDR, but any immersive audio metadata for Atmos or DTSX is lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are you using as a Remote Control for the PLEX Desktop?

Last night I installed PLEX on my HTPC and compared a few 4K HEVC HDR movies with Kodi.

The PLEX video quality (4K HDR Tone-mapping) looks so much better than the Kodi 4K HDR Tone-mapping. It was day-and-night in favor of PLEX!

Of course, for SDR and 2K, the video quality is the same with Kodi vs PLEX.

But for 4K HDR Tone-mapping, PLEX is very impressive to me.

The only minor issues I have with PLEX is the lack of a Remote Control App and the Interface/Skin/aesthetics.

But I would take the awesome HDR Tone-Mapping of PLEX over the other minor issues any day.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, there's an add on that lets Kodi talk directly to Plex and use Kodi as a Plex front end. I use that in my theater and it's awesome.

They have add-ons for hulu, netflix, if you're into that. They have some for game console emulation. They really try to make it a one stop shop.

Just checked and it will do aspect ratio detection. I have mine dim the lights when I press play and raise them slightly when I pause. Then when I stop the movie they go back to full.

Kodi and Plex together are pretty fantastic.
So it uses the PLEX HDR Tone-mapping when you use Kodi with PLEX add-on?

And you can use the Kodi Remote to control PLEX?

Basically, we are using Kodi (interface, Remote, etc.) to play contents on PLEX (using PLEX HDR Tone-mapping, etc.)?

Last edited:
thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
My PLEX is a big loud Windows server with about 60TB of storage.

In the theater, with the projector and surround setup I’m using the PLEX app on an Nvidia Shield (at 4K 23.98) for movies, and an AppleTV 4K (with frame rate switching turned on) for TV shows (because the Shield’s frame rate switching is garbage and usually locks everything up).

The theater is all controlled by a Harmony.

Upstairs, where it’s just a 4K Samsung QLED, everything is on an AppleTV 4K with the PLEX app.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just added the PLEX ADD-ON to my KODI.

I'm at work now so I can't play. So will play with this when I get home. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So it uses the PLEX HDR Tone-mapping when you use Kodi with PLEX add-on?

And you can use the Kodi Remote to control PLEX?

Basically, we are using Kodi (interface, Remote, etc.) to play contents on PLEX (using PLEX HDR Tone-mapping, etc.)?
Basically Kodi is just using the Plex database for all media content (codec, file type, metadata) and Kodi handles all media playback. So, whatever kodi supports, will work with your Plex library.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My PLEX is a big loud Windows server with about 60TB of storage.

In the theater, with the projector and surround setup I’m using the PLEX app on an Nvidia Shield (at 4K 23.98) for movies, and an AppleTV 4K (with frame rate switching turned on) for TV shows (because the Shield’s frame rate switching is garbage and usually locks everything up).

The theater is all controlled by a Harmony.

Upstairs, where it’s just a 4K Samsung QLED, everything is on an AppleTV 4K with the PLEX app.

Weird. I have three shields on three different TV/projector and have zero issues with frame rate switching. I never have, and my projector takes a LOOOOONG time to switch so if one of my displays was going to have an issue, it was going to be that one.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Weird. I have three shields on three different TV/projector and have zero issues with frame rate switching. I never have, and my projector takes a LOOOOONG time to switch so if one of my displays was going to have an issue, it was going to be that one.
Never had any luck with it auto switching. If I go into the settings and tell it to run 4K60 it works for TV shows and locks during movies.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Basically Kodi is just using the Plex database for all media content (codec, file type, metadata) and Kodi handles all media playback. So, whatever kodi supports, will work with your Plex library.
That's not good for me since Plex's 4K HDR tone-mapping is much better than Kodi right now.

I would want Plex to be the player, not Kodi.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's not good for me since Plex's 4K HDR tone-mapping is much better than Kodi right now.

I would want Plex to be the player, not Kodi.
Plex has a desktop app, but it is just the web ui. They have Plex Media Player v3, but playback is choppy with my HEVC HDR files. I downloaded v2.47 and it didn't have that issue.

You can try it though. Tone mapping is good as you said.

I've had the best luck with Kodi DS player, but we've had that discussion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Plex has a desktop app, but it is just the web ui. They have Plex Media Player v3, but playback is choppy with my HEVC HDR files. I downloaded v2.47 and it didn't have that issue.

You can try it though. Tone mapping is good as you said.

I've had the best luck with Kodi DS player, but we've had that discussion.
I think the Plex version I installed last night was v2.47.

Will keep away from v3 or other versions then.

Yeah, DS-Player was the player from hell for me. :eek:

Right now I'm trying to find a WiFi Remote App for Plex Media Player (desktop).

In the meantime I have to use the WiFi keyboard. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think the Plex version I installed last night was v2.47.

Will keep away from v3 or other versions then.

Yeah, DS-Player was the player from hell for me. :eek:

Right now I'm trying to find a WiFi Remote App for Plex Media Player (desktop).

In the meantime I have to use the WiFi keyboard. :D
You can just choose your PC as the player from the phone app and control it from there. Choose the movie, playback controls. All that stuff.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can just choose your PC as the player from the phone app and control it from there. Choose the movie, playback controls. All that stuff.
So install Plex app on the phone, make sure to use the same network, and the phone Plex app can be used as a Remote Control for the Desktop Plex Media Player?

I tried doing that last night with my iPad-Pro (installed iOs Plex app) without success. I think it kept on asking me to subscribe or upgrade and pay some fees.

Maybe I should try with my Samsung S9 phone.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So install Plex app on the phone, make sure to use the same network, and the phone Plex app can be used as a Remote Control for the Desktop Plex Media Player?

I tried doing that last night with my iPad-Pro (installed iOs Plex app) without success. I think it kept on asking me to subscribe or upgrade and pay some fees.

Maybe I should try with my Samsung S9 phone.
Not sure if you have to have Plex Pass or not, but this article tells you how to do it. It's the same regardless of player type, but that article is talking about how to use a Chromecast.

It's no different for Androd. Tried it with my phone before posting and it works fine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am extremely happy with PLEX Media Player (desktop).

My backlit wireless keyboard w/touch pad works flawlessly with my HTPC. So I've been using my keyboard all weekend with PLEX playing many 4K-HDR movies, which all look so awesome.

IOW, I have not used KODI since last week. :D

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. Happy I could “help”.

I’m guessing by your reaction that my question has been answered, and it’s NOT worth going to Kodi in my setup, and I’ll just stick with PLEX.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. Happy I could “help”.

I’m guessing by your reaction that my question has been answered, and it’s NOT worth going to Kodi in my setup, and I’ll just stick with PLEX.

Yeah, personally I don't see any reasons to switch to Kodi.

You "had me" when you said that you were able to play 4K/HDR/Atmos/DTSX on PLEX!!!! :D

Kodi/DSPlayer didn't work for me, and Kodi does a bad job with 4K/HDR.

For me, PLEX is awesome compared to Kodi.

Oh, I also tried the PLEX Add-on for Kodi. It sucked because it did a lousy job with 4K/HDR movies.

For now, PLEX is my #1 Media Player.

Kodi is my backup media player. :D

So thank you to you and everyone who is recommending PLEX! :D

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A friend has recently shared his Plex with me so I'm just now getting familiar with it. So far so good. Solid streams, HD quality and good sound. I'm already planning on checking out some new (for me) shows.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Lots of positive feedback here for Plex!
What about for audio only use?

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
If it’s anything like the video library, it’s pretty powerful. Lots of metadata and artwork that automatically syncs to your library, and built-in Tidal support.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It's fantastic. I use it for all my audio and video streaming throughout the house. All our cd's and dvd's are ripped onto my desktop PC.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis