please help with speaker/sub set choices

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
ive added up how much the primus and yamaha ef series would cost ...
they are exactly the same in price (almost ... primus is more expensive by about 5+USD)

ive also conducted a poll myself and have them both at the same number of votes. (each with good reasons)

what about you guys? votes? reasons?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Out of the two, I like the infinity more, they kind of remind me of Paradigm, but are lacking the nicer tweeter. But they aren't too shabby, I have some Yamaha book shelves and they really dont impress me.

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Hey Spiffy,

I see that you are looking to maybe add the xsub to your collection? I have one and I've got a problem that maybe you might be interested in. I ran different frequencies through starting at 25hz to 150hz and I noticed at one poinnt the sound almost dissapeared.. I took out the spl meter and at about 60hz to 80hz the sound is almost non-existent.

I tried different settings and placements but to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW the reciever I am using is a pioneer vsx-814 could tthat be the problem?

I just ordered the hk avr-635

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
droeses58 said:
Hey Spiffy,

I see that you are looking to maybe add the xsub to your collection? I have one and I've got a problem that maybe you might be interested in. I ran different frequencies through starting at 25hz to 150hz and I noticed at one poinnt the sound almost dissapeared.. I took out the spl meter and at about 60hz to 80hz the sound is almost non-existent.

I tried different settings and placements but to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Actually the one to speak with is Buckeyefan 1 he has the same sub, and has even taken it apart. PM him...

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Thanks Brian,

Since I'm new here I didn't what to bother anyone!

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
droeses58 said:
Thanks Brian,

Since I'm new here I didn't what to bother anyone!
He won't mind. He happens to love his X-sub...
EDIT:: I'll PM him to check out post #123. He should be on sometime tonight.

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
brian32672 said:
He won't mind. He happens to love his X-sub...
EDIT:: I'll PM him to check out post #123. He should be on sometime tonight.
Thanks again! :)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
A few suggestions

droeses58 said:
Hey Spiffy,

Droeses,

Welcome to the forum! I'll try to help the best I can.
First off, what does your other equipment consist of? (model/make of speakers, reciever/amp, dvd player)

What source (demo disc/cd/dvd) are you using to run the Hz test? Also, where is the sub placed (corner, side wall)?

It's almost impossible for a single sub to reproduce all frequencies given a set size box, driver, and amp. Mulester is having a similar problem with his 2 top of the line SVS subs. 60-80Hz is a wide range, and I'm pretty sure my XSUB hits those frequencies well. Do you have your sub hooked into a HT receiver with bass management? Is the bass management on the DVD player in use? Could it be you have the receiver/dvd player crossover set at 60Hz? If so, set it all the way up (usually 120Hz), along with the Hz control on the XSUB all the way up. Next I'd try setting the Hz on the XSUB to 70Hz to really dial in the missing frequencies. See what happens. Finally, have you given the sub ample break in time? Usually 20hrs of low level output is all you need. Hope that helps.

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Droeses,

Welcome to the forum! I'll try to help the best I can.
First off, what does your other equipment consist of? (model/make of speakers, reciever/amp, dvd player)

What source (demo disc/cd/dvd) are you using to run the Hz test? Also, where is the sub placed (corner, side wall)?

It's almost impossible for a single sub to reproduce all frequencies given a set size box, driver, and amp. Mulester is having a similar problem with his 2 top of the line SVS subs. 60-80Hz is a wide range, and I'm pretty sure my XSUB hits those frequencies well. Do you have your sub hooked into a HT receiver with bass management? Is the bass management on the DVD player in use? Could it be you have the receiver/dvd player crossover set at 60Hz? If so, set it all the way up (usually 120Hz), along with the Hz control on the XSUB all the way up. Next I'd try setting the Hz on the XSUB to 70Hz to really dial in the missing frequencies. See what happens. Finally, have you given the sub ample break in time? Usually 20hrs of low level output is all you need. Hope that helps.
Thanks for responding Buckeye!

O.k. I'll try to be a little more specific

Reciever: Pioneer vsx-814 crossover set to 100 [low as it goes]
Dvd Player: Cheap Samsung [not sure of model number, not sure of bass management.

Main Speakers pair of klipsch rcw-5 in walls

xsub settings crossover set up all the way, volume about 10 o'clock, set in corner, out of corner, on carpet, and then on wood.

Demo disk consist of one set of test tones I downloaded and burned and the newer dve disk. Does the same on both. falls off around 60hz and starts coming back around 80.

BTW, what frequency does yours go down too? Mine seems to be around the low 30's

Thanks for all the help! :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
if it were up to you ... anymore votes? :) i will tip scales twice for whichever you vote for (as long as you provide a reason why it is your choice)

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
mike c said:
if it were up to you ... anymore votes? :) i will tip scales twice for whichever you vote for (as long as you provide a reason why it is your choice)
Mike if you want my vote, I vote for the Infinity, for two reasons, 1. I had a pair of old floorstanders that sounded very good but had to get rid of them for finacial reasons. 2. and most important to me is it's an American owned company! :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i understand that when playing music, only 2 channels are working (2 main LR) ...
isnt there an option for the amp to produce the same sound through ALL the channels? or at least the 2 rears? note: same meaning ... non surround but still LR

btw, no more votes? i just need a few more to finally decide

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I believe there are 5-channel and 7-channel stereo modes on most receivers, so yes, you can do this. Great for parties.

My vote? I choose to abstain, for lack of listening experience.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
mike c said:
i understand that when playing music, only 2 channels are working (2 main LR) ...
isnt there an option for the amp to produce the same sound through ALL the channels? or at least the 2 rears? note: same meaning ... non surround but still LR
jaxvon is correct, most new receivers will have a full stereo mode for all channels. I really, don't think it sounds great. But thats a IMO. There are usually other modes that will boost signals in the surround speakers, that IMO are much better sounding then 7 channel stereo. However, for the 1015tx- your first statement is not totally correct. Not just 2 channels working. In stereo mode actually for me 3 channels are playing, L&R&SW. Unless I use dialouge enhancement even for stereo (I believe then it also adds the center as well). Not to sure on this, because I really don't use the stereo sound mode. To plain Jane, if you ask me. Anyhow thats my .02

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks guys

how many subs can you wye connect before losing signal? :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i have finally listened to both the speaker sets within the same day...

music listening and movie watching,
in music, the infinity wins
in movies, the same (negligible)

in looks
yamaha wins (by looking nice and big) <- that didnt sound right
inifinity looks small and you feel like you're not getting size value for money

so after 8 votes for infinity and 5 votes for yamaha (both forum and nonforum people)
ive finally decided on the infinity (to give me an option to listen to music)

note:
along with the audition of the primus, was the PS-10 SW ... err, it didnt give me the creeping bass i craved (the feeling that it rocks the floor a long time)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
just for the sake of knowing ... in the infinity lineup, which series is one better than the primus? the beta?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis