Please help with Samsung 55"LED optical audio out problem!!!!

J

joeydego

Enthusiast
That's the same unit that you mentioned in your original post. If it were me, I'd get the one from Monoprice and just try it. I'm not convinced that response from Monoprice mentioned earlier ensures that it won't take audio from HDMI inputs and convert it to 5.1 just because the output HDMI is connected to your TV.
wow, you're 100% right its just branded! Goes to show you how Im chasing my tail on this. I'm gonna try it. I spoke to both Sony and Sonos today who both swore on a stack of bibles the model TV I was looking at passed 5.1 optically via HDMI. 2 hours in the store, we could not make it work!

J

joeydego

Enthusiast
I suppose a good test would be to connect NO HDMI out and connect the optical to my 5.1. If I get DD, then connect the TV. If I lose DD, I'll just send it back. All I have to lose is shipping.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
the problem with the Sonos Playbar is its only input is 1 optical input. I cant go HDMI or any other way it, it has to be optical.
This:
Amazon.com: 4x2 Remote Control Digital Optical TOSlink Audio Fiber Optic Selector Switch Switcher Splitter: Electronics

You will still have issues if you have a Roku player as it just isn't compatible with what you have. About 1,000 options which require a new speaker bar or surround sound with an A/V receiver or a ton of other things. You can go AppleTV, you can go to an old school Roku player like this:
Roku $79 SD, $129 HD-XR Players Released | eHomeUpgrade

But, with Roku being so extremely limited with it's connectivity you aren't going to easily get what you want from it without spending some more money on it.

But, is it possible and do they make something that gets the audio out of the HDMI into a Digital Optical format?

Heck yeah!

Atlona Technologies connectivity solutions, cables, splitters, extenders, distribution amplifiers, converters, switchers for commercial, professional and industrial applications

So, now you have all your audio available as a Toslink opitcal connection, which can go into the optical switch, and onto your Sonos bar with a single optical cable.

The Atlona audio de-embedder specifically lists 5.1 audio support from the HDMI connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis