Playing movies through my pc using an external sound card

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone,
Could use an advice.

On my PC I have various movies decoded in DD and DTS.
In order to play movies decoded in DD, I have to copy the movie to an external HDD than connect the HDD to my smart TV (via usb), the TV is decoding the movie sending 5.1 CH to the receiver.
Problem is, my smart TV (lg 55uk6700y) can only decode DD and not DTS.
What I was thinking as a solution - connection an external usb sound card to my laptop, for example, this one:

Questions:
1. Will it work?
2. Providing it will work, do you know any cheaper sound card to do the job?
3. Any ideas for a better solution?

Thanks,
Daniel

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everyone,
Could use an advice.

On my PC I have various movies decoded in DD and DTS.
In order to play movies decoded in DD, I have to copy the movie to an external HDD than connect the HDD to my smart TV (via usb), the TV is decoding the movie sending 5.1 CH to the receiver.
Problem is, my smart TV (lg 55uk6700y) can only decode DD and not DTS.
What I was thinking as a solution - connection an external usb sound card to my laptop, for example, this one:

Questions:
1. Will it work?
2. Providing it will work, do you know any cheaper sound card to do the job?
3. Any ideas for a better solution?

Thanks,
Daniel
I'd just get a media server like the nvidia shield. Then you can stream all formats and take advantage of the apps on it instead of dumb errr smart tv, which can't pass all formats to an avr.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I forgot to mention my avr is old and has doesn't have hdmi inputs but only toslink.
Besides that, I've noticed nvidia shield doesn't have a usb input, so how would I connect my HDD to it?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The shield has usb inputs and also you can connect to the PC via IP., the HDMI thing kinda limits your avialable formats though.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Could you refer me to the nvidia shield model with usb you're talking about? I'm not a gamer, and looking for the cheapest possible solution.
Also, would it be possible converting the hdmi output into toslink? or maybe a streamer with toslink outputs you can reccomend.

Thanks again.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Does your laptops headphone output doubles as an digital output?

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Honestly I don't know, but I doubt it, laptop is a lenovo yoga 3 (14" not the pro) about 4 years and a bit old.
That's the reason I was thinking in the direction of simply buying an external sound card (with a toslink output).

Here's a screenshot from the device manager
1578857361799.png

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Right, so the DAC arrived today. Now I need to get it working...
Thing is the AVR only recognize pcm. I tried both BSplayer and VLC player.
Here's what's the DAC showing me during a DD movie:
1579812105857.png

Any ideas? Or is this device can only give me a pcm output?

Edit:
played with the definition a bit, now getting this:
1579813557996.png

Still in pcm though

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Right, so the DAC arrived today. Now I need to get it working...
Thing is the AVR only recognize pcm. I tried both BSplayer and VLC player.
Here's what's the DAC showing me during a DD movie:
View attachment 33573
Any ideas? Or is this device can only give me a pcm output?

Edit:
played with the definition a bit, now getting this:
View attachment 33574

Still in pcm though
One thing is that I'd use LAV filters over ffdshow. They tend to do a great job.

Also, what do you have your output set to? Example:

2020-01-23 16_08_06-Playing movies through my pc using an external sound card _ Audioholics Ho...png

I only have a 2ch DAC hooked up to this PC, but when you select your interface it should have similar options.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder if there is a driver for the DAC you bought. What you're showing is pretty limited.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Put iTunes on your PC. Connect PC to TV via HDMI. Done deal!

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
I wonder if there is a driver for the DAC you bought. What you're showing is pretty limited.
It is limited. I'm not sure if it really supports DD or dts. Am I wasting my time with this device?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It is limited. I'm not sure if it really supports DD or dts. Am I wasting my time with this device?
Don't know if you are wasting your time, but @everettT says there is a driver so I'd install that. It should at least give you some sample rate options. The DAC probably doesn't decode DTS or DD, but that's fine. Especially if it's outputs are stereo. That's how my DAC is set up for my PC and it works great. I just tell the PC to decode everything (granted I only listen to music so nothing to decode really).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My AVR support dts/DD, for example I do get DD from netflix or playing a DD file through my smart TV.
Connecting the DAC via toslink to the AVR yield only pcm.

Couldn't find a driver for this DAC.
Only found one evident online of someone mange to get DD/DTS with pcm2704 chip here:
With that specific DAC it looks like it is a 2ch only device. You'd need something that specifically supports bitstream DTS and DD. HDMI is the best/easiest route, but the DAC you have will work, but stereo only.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis