Planning a NY Vacation this summer

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
We`are planning a New York vacation the last week of July to see a couple of games in Yankee Stadium in it's final year. I have tickets to an afternoon game on a Wednesday and am considering purchasing tickets for Friday night's game prior to leaving on Saturday. I am considering the Hilton in mid-town Manhattan. It appears to be close to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Hall, and The Museum of Natural History.

Question: would it be unwise to take the subway from the hotel to the stadium? How about for the night game? My wife and two sons will be with me and I'm no Charles Bronson. Any New York natives here?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
We`are planning a New York vacation the last week of July to see a couple of games in Yankee Stadium in it's final year. I have tickets to an afternoon game on a Wednesday and am considering purchasing tickets for Friday night's game prior to leaving on Saturday. I am considering the Hilton in mid-town Manhattan. It appears to be close to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Hall, and The Museum of Natural History.

Question: would it be unwise to take the subway from the hotel to the stadium? How about for the night game? My wife and two sons will be with me and I'm no Charles Bronson. Any New York natives here?
Muddy, pm Rickster or Aberkowitz those boys are from up there. On the food side, you MUST make it over to LOMBARDI'S pizza best in NY address:32 Spring Street, 212-941-7994 and if you cross the Brooklyn bridge you must go to Grimaldi's pizza, 19 Old Fulton Street, Brooklyn, 718-858-4300......If you want restaurant info pm me, ok.:)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Hi Mudshark, I'm born and raised at the New Jersey shore. I'm not an expert on NYC; though my gut reaction is to tell you to take a cab. The area around the stadium is a little dicey.
If you plan on going to Great Adventure in N.J.; I'm very close.
So, you and your family are welcome to come by the house for a BBQ.
We'd be happy to have you.
Rick

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, since you're gonna be in the neighborhood...

...be sure to stop here, but be hungry, very hungry : http://www.carnegiedeli.com/index.html

Its pretty much walking distance from where you seem to be aiming (mid-town) on 7th Ave & between 55th and 56th streets. It's world famous, and with good reason. You can find out what a REAL deli and REAL pastrami is.

Drop a line (or a PM) and maybe we can meet ya there, depending on scheduling. We're always looking for an excuse to eat there.

Oh, unless you are comfortable with the subway, take a cab to the stadium, particularly when it's a family affair.

Last edited:
M

MrKlister

Junior Audioholic
The subway will be fine going to the game. There will be tons of people riding the train and the subways are not as bad as they once were. Just use common sense and you will be OK. A cab would cost a fortune and take forever.

An interesting alternative is to take the ferry. A little expensive, but they throw in food. http://www.nywaterway.com/event/baseball-cruise.shtml

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
"New York vacation" is a tough concept for me to grasp. To me, vacation means getting as far away from the city (any city) as time and funds allow.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
"New York vacation" is a tough concept for me to grasp. To me, vacation means getting as far away from the city (any city) as time and funds allow.
I can understand that.... but NYC in the summertime is a different animal. It empties out a bit and actually slows down compared to other times of the year.

Mudshark- As your NYC resident expert (and resident :D), I'm happy to provide as much help as possible.

Regarding Yankee stadium- go as many times as you can, particularly if you've never been. The place is a relic in the same vein as Fenway and Wrigley. If the Mets were in town I'd say visit Shea as well b/c the place is also being torn down. You are absolutely fine taking the train up to Yankee Stadium- it's the best way to get the full experience. 3 different trains get you up there, so it's pretty idiot-proof. While the area is dicey as Rickster says, as long as you stay with the crowds you'll be more than fine. You'll never find a cab to take you home up there, and it'd probably be really hard to find one who'd actually take you up there b/c of the traffic.

As for lodging- if I'm thinking of the right hotel (is it the one on 6th Avenue) then it will suffice just fine. The nice thing about being on 6th is that while you're close to everything (including Central Park) but you're not right in the middle of tourist central. BE WARNED- all NYC hotel rooms are incredibly small compared to almost everywhere else in the modern world. If you can get a really good deal at one of the W hotels then I would look at those too, but there's very little difference btwn all of the chain hotels in NYC. If you want an amazing hotel experience then I recommend going balls-out and staying at one of the ridiculously expensive places- Sherry-Netherland, Mandarin, Pierre, Carlyle, Essex House, etc.

Food- everybody has made great suggestions so far. I would definitely take Strat's advice and go to Lombardi's- although be prepared for lines. I would not necessarily recommend going out to Brooklyn, even though Grimaldi's is ridiculously insane, because it's very easy to get lost coming out of the subway down there (not that it's unsafe, just really confusing) and the trip plus the wait could sully the experience. The Carnegie is great, although I personally prefer Katz's Deli, http://www.katzdeli.com/, but in the end it's all the same stuff. I can make recommendations for pretty much every type of food you could ever want to eat in NYC, so let me know what you're looking for and how much you want to spend. If you want to have at least 1 insanely good dining experience (think minimum $300 for 2 people), I can recommend a ton of places that will redefine the way you think about food.

Other stuff- Since you will be there in the summer, make sure you hit up central park during the day. It won't be a typical weekend scene, but you'll get a great feel for how cool that place is. Most important thing is to do as much walking as possible.

If you end up staying at the Hilton, you can do one of my favorite walking tours of the city. Start at Broadway and 52nd st, the location of the Ed Sullivan theater, and walk south all the way down Broadway to the tip of Manhattan. Along the way you will pass/see/walk-through Times Square, the Chrysler Building, Herald Square, Macy's, the Empire State Building, Madison Square (be sure to get a break shake from the Shake Shack!), the Flatiron Building, Union Square, the New York Life Building, the West Village (take a quick detour to Washington Square Park), NYU, SoHo (lots of great shopping here), China Town, City Hall, nice views of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges, Wall Street, Trinity Church, Ground Zero, Bowling Green and the Customs House, the Merrill Lynch "bull", views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and a whole host of other places. End your trip with a detour over to the South Street Seaport to sit outside and have a nice drink as you watch the boats race up and down the East River. All told the walk is just over 5 miles, but it's the best way to really experience a large portion of NYC in an afternoon.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
We're trying to head back either Christmas or early '09, NYC is my second home.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
My thanks to Rickster, Aberkowitz, Markw, & Strat (hope I did not leave anyone out:eek:) for your helpful replies. I would love the opporunity to meet some of you while up in your neck of the woods. I will ask more advice once I digest your replies. The only thing set in stone right now is the Wednesday afternoon game on July 26.

It sounds like mid town is the way to go for a hotel. We don't plan on spending much time in the rooms so 3 stars should be just fine. My wife hates flying so we will drive up also I was planning on just parking the car while up there. Other than any GTG that could be possible.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

It sounds like mid town is the way to go for a hotel. We don't plan on spending much time in the rooms so 3 stars should be just fine. My wife hates flying so we will drive up also I was planning on just parking the car while up there. Other than any GTG that could be possible.
Regarding parking- just be prepared as much as $40 day for parking- either valet at the hotel or at a nearby lot. Not trying to scare you off- just be ready for it!

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, my eyes are open on the cost. I'm budgeting 6k minimum not including the game tickets (estimate 1,200 for the two games). I have not joined the family on a vacation in a long time and with my oldest son 26 opportunities for us all to breakaway at the same time may be limited in coming years. The years are flowing swiftly so although some may consider it frivolous we planning on having a great time.

The opportunity to meet some of you and visit a real audio emporium will be a big bonus. The extra $200 or so for parking is a fair trade-off for the elimination of the stress flying will cause my wife. I figure we're all entitled to a bit of foolishness once in a while.

Beginning wish list
Museum of Natural History
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
Rockerfeller Center
2 games

I also hope it can be arranged to meet our AH NJ friends for dinner at the least.

Possible plan:
Monday: drive
Tuesday Night open
Wednesday game 1
Wednesday night open
Thursday Museum
Thursday night open
Friday open
Friday night game 2
Saturday drive/GTG

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

That sounds like a great idea Mudshark. Let's definitely chat as it gets closer and I can help you plan your time up here. Send me a PM at some point and we can converse via email or phone.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Adam, Rick please try and take our Muddy to Lombardi's, I know it might be a bad thing later on, once you taste pizza heaven.......it's hard returning to the land of Pizza Huts and Dominos!:D

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Adam, Rick please try and take our Muddy to Lombardi's, I know it might be a bad thing later on, once you taste pizza heaven.......it's hard returning to the land of Pizza Huts and Dominos!:D
Don't you mean "Pasta Hut"? :eek:

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I almost gagged when I saw the commercial, we might have incredible seafood and a great array of restaurants, but pizza is sorely lacking in South FL!:eek:
If you're ever up in Boca for the day, be sure to visit Coal Miner Pizza. It's not the NYC stuff, but it's very high quality brick oven-style thin crust pizza.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
If you're ever up in Boca for the day, be sure to visit Coal Miner Pizza. It's not the NYC stuff, but it's very high quality brick oven-style thin crust pizza.
My brother in law has been telling me that for a couple of months now, he went and really liked it, but like me, he's a Lombardi's fan. We only have one place down here baking NY style pies, Ice and Slice over at Bird Road and 27th Ave., right at the beginning of the Grove. They're from Brooklyn, but as good as it is, it still not close to the real deal. They admit it, they say it's probably the water and humidity and the lack of fresh homemade mozzarella.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Are we supposed to trust a caveman who extolls the virtues of a Wendy's fish sandwhich?:p

Sad to say we're more the Red Lobster or Outback types.

Next decision is the area for the hotel. I can be close to Empire State Building or Central park (museum) or Rockerfeller Center and the shows. I guess NYC is so big that one cannot be close to everything. I'm leaning to being close to Rockerfeller Center, the shows, and shopping.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Sad to say we're more the Red Lobster or Outback types.

Next decision is the area for the hotel. I can be close to Empire State Building or Central park (museum) or Rockerfeller Center and the shows. I guess NYC is so big that one cannot be close to everything. I'm leaning to being close to Rockerfeller Center, the shows, and shopping.
Well- whatever you do don't eat at the Red Lobster or Outback in NYC!!! Same food, triple the prices. You can get simple food for not very expensive prices if you avoid the chains.

Hotel- it doesn't really matter that much b/c you're going to be walking around the city a lot anyway. My suggestion would be to be either next to Rock Center or near the park. The area near the Empire State Building can get really disgusting (the streets down there just don't get cleaned very well) and incredibly loud/crowded at all hours. It's really worth it to spend extra money, if need be, not to stay right there. Anywhere near Rock Center is just fine, or if you're going to be near the park make sure you're actually near the park (not 2nd Avenue).

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Last time we were up there we got a great deal at the Waldorf-Astoria, we booked it online and it came out to about 325.00 per day for a very spacious room. It was March I believe.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis