Surround: JBL E50
Surround Back: JBL E50

Thanks.

Last edited:
J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Reluctant Response

I say this reluctantly because I don't like to be negitave about anyone's system choices (except blose..ops). With your choice of a fine receiver, I think you should have shopped a little longer for your speaker choice. I have been a long time fan of JBL and still use a pair of L1s which I love. But over the past decade it seems JBL has made some business choices that seem to have taken them out of the game. The only series you see in the stores are the Northridge series and I've never been a fan of them. If anyone has a clue what's going on at JBL, I'd love to know. There was a time when they could stand toe to toe with the likes of Paradigm & B&W but those days are long gone. I've been to their site and they do show they have some very high end series (horn driven) that I've never seen or heard. They are also very expensive.

M

mckisig

Audiophyte
Thanks

This is the kind of answer I want. Thanks.
My JBL speaker was a bargain deal from my friend. He bought it brand new, put it in his garage for 4 months, never got a chance to open the box and sold it for $1,000.00 (that was 3 months ago)---isn't that a great deal so hard to refuse :D ? I bought that 7.1 piece speaker even though I don't need them at that time.
Last month I replaced my old onkyo stereo receiver (coupled with self assembled speakers) and bought the Vsx1015tx. I believe that the price of VSX1015TX is a killer for what you get.
I tested the 1015tx with primus c350 (borrowed from a friend) and we both agreed that the 1015tx/E80 combination was way better than having the infinity.
I'm still in the quest of finding the right combination and the reason why I posted an inquiry.
What would be the best speaker for my 1015tx? Any recommendations?

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Loudspeakers & sub-woofers

Spend about an hour in the L&SW area of this forum. There are a lot of great speakers out there and it all depends on your taste and budget. You can spend 1K to 30k on just speakers without even looking hard. If I was buying speakers today, I would probably go with Paradigm or PSB, but that's just me.

M

mckisig

Audiophyte
Thanks again!

Thanks.
For those who have the Pioneer VSX1015TX, I would like to hear from you about your combinations.

Dikens

Audiophyte
pioneer 1015

mckisig said:
Thanks.
For those who have the Pioneer VSX1015TX, I would like to hear from you about your combinations.
First time here guys..I enjoy reading your post for new knowledge and entertainment as well. About the pioneer vsx-1015 receiver. I just bought this badboy to replace and older Okyo 797 model. My old Onkyo had that darned clicking issue but when fixed, it was a bad mother!! So when I decided to search for a receiver to replace it, my expectations for dynamic performance were quite high. I did alot of research on the 1014 model, and was ready to pull the trigger, but soon stumbled onto the fact that the newer model was soon to come out. So I waited, and man I did not regret it! I got my 1015 at Vanns for 450$. (Felt like I robbed a bank) This receiver powers my power hungry B&W DM 604 S2's effortlessly. After about a month of slowly breaking the 1015 in, I decided to take off the gloves and give it a big audition for my friends. Last wednesday I invited many of my buds that are star wars fans over to watch Ep.I & II before going to see EpIII later that night. The reciever performed flawlessly at reference levels for close to five hours. I will say that the Onkyo I had did seem to have a better sound processing while watching movies. Better seperation between channels. Beyond that slight edge the Pioneer bests it in pretty much every other department. I really love this receiver and the purchase I made. No regrets!

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Just bought a 1015TX (Sounds great) and I have a set of Fluance AV-HTB and upgraded AV-SC on its way. Plus a JBL E250P as well. I will give my impressions once it arrives. The JBL sub New at 232.88 shipped, is a bargain that can't be turned up. This very minute Best Buy sells it for 473.00 without tax....

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
brian32672 said:
Just bought a 1015TX (Sounds great) and I have a set of Fluance AV-HTB and upgraded AV-SC on its way. Plus a JBL E250P as well. I will give my impressions once it arrives. The JBL sub New at 232.88 shipped, is a bargain that can't be turned up. This very minute Best Buy sells it for 473.00 without tax....
What do you have your 1015TX hooked up to at the moment?

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Nothing worth mentioning. I have tried some generic 5.1 setup. And sounds fine, but decided to upgrade to a entry level speaker setup for 7.1. Also have some (at the time) expensive Fishers. each with a 15" a 6" and a 1" But it is well old now and all will be given to little brother. Actually I hate to say it here, but I have always been more concerned with video over audio. And have always tried to stay one step ahead on video.... Sorry.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
mckisig said:
Thanks.
Ok, my NEW Fluance AV-HTB set up came. As well as the JBL E250P sub.
The Fluance speakers are fine but are not efficient. (I already knew this) However the sound is superb. They do seem like they are geared a tad more for music. But they are not broken in yet. However the longer I have played them, the better they sound.

Slight problem, I had a cheap SDAT 5.1 set-up. And the 1015tx with the MCACC they set up very easy. With minimal tweaking. But the MCACC does not seem to work as well with the Fluance set. Not really a problem for me, because I like tweaking. And once they are set right, they do sound superb.

The JBL E250 12" 250 watt sub I got for 232.00 shipped brand NEW. And let me tell you, that is the bargain of the year. Best Buy or rather Expensive Buy, has the sub on sale for 473.00 without tax. THIS THING ROCKS. The 10" 100 watt SDAT (Mixsonic) sub, I had to turn the sub all the way up and have the receiver set at -0.5db. With the JBL I have the sub turned up just over half way and have the receiver at -8.0db. Seems very efficient. Walls shake like crazy. Also with the port being bottom mounted I believe the sound is a little more omnipresent.

Back to the Fluance. I have opted to get or rather will get, the upgraded center channel. SV-SC or something like that. Because the center with the AV-HTB does sound a little congested. Granted, all of these speakers only have about 4-5 hours on them at the moment. And have been getting better with some break in. This will not be the case by tonight, probably another 4 hours by tomorrow morning. Once they are fully broken in, I will reply another post. But for the money on a entry level set-up, you are sure not to go wrong with this set-up.

But, I will be selling the center channel I have. And will rebox it up tonight and put on eBay. And will not put anymore hours on it. I will use the SDAT center until the other Fluance center gets here.

Unless someone has other options on a center for around 100.00 - 120.00 shipped. (ONLY new)

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I have a question, being these Fluance have a low spl rating something like 88+-(?)spl.
When they fully break in, will they be a tad more efficient? Or just the sound gets better?

As stated above they sound superb, but the receiver needs to be turned up 2 more notches to sound as loud as the SDAT's did. (meaning -19 compared to -21) -19 is more power......

Oh and for those saying the Fluance set does not have any bass, well I find this statement quite false. For the 6.5" fronts they have quite a bit of bass. And a sub is not totally needed unless you really want to feel your bass.
I did not even think for a moment that I was not going to get a good sub. But I did try the Fluance's by themself. And they seemed to have a great frequency range. Obviously won't hit 20-25hz. But surely they hit what they are rated at, I think 38hz.
And this should be well for most music fans. But to feel the bass, specially for movies, you will need a 10" or 12" sub....

Just my .02

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Unless someone has other options on a center for around 100.00 - 120.00 shipped. (ONLY new)
Glad the Fluance set worked out. For the price, it sounds like they've exceeded your expectations. Do you have some photos you can share?

The only choice for a center channel in that price range, IMO, is the Venturi CLR-S 62. Dual 6.5's woofers and a soft dome tweeter. Very highly rated, and outstanding bass for a center.

Attachments

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I have a question, being these Fluance have a low spl rating something like 88+-(?)spl. When they fully break in, will they be a tad more efficient? Or just the sound gets better?
88dB is a very low spl rating. It's a good thing you bought that Pioneer 1015 to power them. Anything less and you might have had issues. The speakers will not gain additional sound pressure levels as they break in. You'll just need to adjust the volume accordingly.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Glad the Fluance set worked out. For the price, it sounds like they've exceeded your expectations. Do you have some photos you can share?

The only choice for a center channel in that price range, IMO, is the Venturi CLR-S 62. Dual 6.5's woofers and a soft dome tweeter. Very highly rated, and outstanding bass for a center.
Thanks for that option Buckeye. I will research them later tonight.

The only pics I can share would be in my condo that I am moving out of, so most items are packed away. Including my projector. I have cabinets and bookcases for all the stuff to go into. But have cleared all of them as well. For now these components are sitting half hazzardly on other speakers. So no pics would give an idea of the set-up I had, or I am working on. You did read my other post about the room I am setting up for strictly HT. Once that is set up, I will be sure to post exceptional pictures.

Long story/ quick version, I live in a condo that was willed to me. But its a 55+ condo here in Fort Lauderdale. And the association, is complaining of me being here. So for a temp fix. I will being converting my mothers 30 foot patio into a room designed for HT. Then once condo sells (won't take long for the price I'm offering), I have a couple of pieces of property I'm interested in. 3 acres in Elizabethton, Tennesee. Or 2 acres in Dallas, Georgia. At which time I will live in a 2/2 trailer until 4/3 house is built. Built with a basement for HT as well.

If you would still like pics, this is not a problem... But as mentioned, they won't be anything special. I could show you my 120" screen but no image on the screen. So what would be the point?????

Thanks again Buck for the option.....

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Oh yeah, just reread your post. Bass is not a problem for the center now. Rather treble. They sound a little congested, but have plenty of bass for a center. Maybe I am looking for a higher pitch. The SDAT I have, well they have 4 2.5" and a 1". And has a higher pitch but no bass. So probably looking for something with 2 6.5" and 2 tweeters. Maybe a 1" & 1/2".

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the Bic speakers (before the crossover mod) are known to sound "bright", so it might have just the sound you're looking for. The best deal I could find on the center is here. The site seems to have pretty good reviews too, along with BizRate certification. I plan on getting it for my Bic Setup. I just ordered 2 pairs of the bookshelves off Ubid. Better hurry, there aren't many left and today (Sunday) is the last day to order!

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Yeah I went to check out Bic, ever since Buckeye suggested that speaker. But their website is all screwed up. Or at least it was at the time I checked it.
I will recheck it, later today.
Thanks for the link and for seconding the choice. Yes "Bright" is really the word I was looking for....

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, their website is trashy, and it won't tell you much. Follow the link I put in my last post or search for the center on Pricegrabber, Shopzilla, or Yahoo Shopping to find the good price.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Do you have some photos you can share?
Well, like I said I won't have any decent photos because of the move out of the condo. So everything is not set-up. And most items are already packed away. I did re-open the projector for picture posts. But it was not set-up. No Avia disc or the one I have Video Essentials, has been used. These are just factory presets. And they look like crap. Once I set it all back up I will redo the projector, for a better picture. Anyhow I am in the middle of uploading pics, and I will post in user systems.... C-U-There.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis